Poll: Who Should be the Bombers' New DC?

Atomic

New Bombers DC  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should be the Bombers' new DC?

• Mike Benevides
    • Devone Claybrooks
    • Richie Hall
    • Greg Marshall
    • Barron Miles
    • Tony Missick
    • Kavis Reed
    • Other

I would be very static if the Bombers land both Benevides and Hall

Benevides as DC

and Hall as (Asst) ST Coordinator and DBs

Not gonna happen though.

1. stat - ic - lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.

Are you sure you wouldn't be jumping up and down with excitement?    :)

I would be very static if the Bombers land both Benevides and Hall

Benevides as DC

and Hall as (Asst) ST Coordinator and DBs

Not gonna happen though.

1. stat - ic - lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.

Are you sure you wouldn't be jumping up and down with excitement?    :)

Damnit you stole my joke!  Stupid Firefox froze up on me midway through posting!

Any thoughts that MOS may be hesitant to bring in an experienced co-ordinator with time as HC, for fear of having a potential successor looking over his shoulder?

Both Etch and MB have been HCs

Dont really see the difference on why it would matter to him now.

Because both of them have proven that neither would come close to taking away anyone's job.

Any thoughts that MOS may be hesitant to bring in an experienced co-ordinator with time as HC, for fear of having a potential successor looking over his shoulder?

Because both of them have proven that neither would come close to taking away anyone's job.

So are you saying O'Shea brought in coaches that are kinda good but not that good? Cuz thats a pretty stupid way of going about hiring coaches that are supposed to help you win... No? 

So are you saying O'Shea brought in coaches that are kinda good but not that good? Cuz thats a pretty stupid way of going about hiring coaches that are supposed to help you win... No? 

No, I'm saying he was limited with his options.  Not to mention I don't think many people wanted to come here.

I went with Claybrooks, heir apparent to stubler, a year under stubler, Calgarys D was very good and i wonder because BC has had such a strong D for a long time, if it's more the players than the coaches, BC was very good this year and Washington was the DC.

I dunno, i'd rather give it to an up and coming young mind than going for a guy who was just fired.

In related news tho, bombers were granted permission to speak to Hall by sask. 

No, I'm saying he was limited with his options.  Not to mention I don't think many people wanted to come here.

Well ya i think we all know and understand that... but your answer was they have proven they cant or wouldnt take anyones jobs as to why it wouldnt make any difference if guys have been HCs before.

I agree and think your answer now is more true then what you said before.

He didnt hire them because they had proven they cant take anyones jobs.... they were hired more likely because he was limited and like you said and i agree that others just didnt want to come here.

Benevedes, Claybrooks, Hall

Claybrooks was in line to be Calgary's DC last season until Stubler became available and he's the heir apparent when he retires. I like anybody that Huff likes.

Being a DL coach under Stubler will only make him a more complete coach. That was Huff's reasoning. Felt it would be good for Claybrooks. He's right.

Which guy?  Eh, I don't care.  People will be complaining after the first first down against the Bombers.  Separating scheme from personnel is next to impossible anyways, talented guys will make a bad scheme look good and lesser players will make a decent scheme look flawed.

With the secondary we have to build off of here any of these guys should be in a position to have a top 4 defence with just a couple of new bodies in the front 7.

The Lions have a defence I'd like to have, so what the hey, Benevides I guess.

Which guy?  Eh, I don't care.  People will be complaining after the first first down against the Bombers.  Separating scheme from personnel is next to impossible anyways, talented guys will make a bad scheme look good and lesser players will make a decent scheme look flawed.

With the secondary we have to build off of here any of these guys should be in a position to have a top 4 defence with just a couple of new bodies in the front 7.

I am skeptical though... Was it Bene, or the fact he had Solomon and Bighill as well as a glut of talent on the D? 

Those two boys alone would make a lot of coaches look better than they are. That being said- I would be cautiously optimistic if we got Bene. 

Well, that's exactly what he did do, regardless of his motivation.  Both were well know commodities and neither was being sought out.  So, good but not that good might be about as kind a description as you'll get.

I am skeptical though... Was it Bene, or the fact he had Solomon and Bighill as well as a glut of talent on the D? 

Those two boys alone would make a lot of coaches look better than they are. That being said- I would be cautiously optimistic if we got Bene. 

What role did he have in making those players into the beasts they are? Guys who wind up having successful players around them all the time probably have a pretty big hand in making said players better. Guy did earn himself a head coaching role for his work with defenses so I don't think he's someone who just rides coattails of players. 

Hall was the defensive coordinator in sask last year, sask like us were ranked in the bottom 3 in points given up. Not sure i like Hall, Benevides? on the fence really, if it's him cool, if not that's ok with me too. Really do want to see what some young minds can do, Claybrooks is definitely interesting.

People talk about bringing in guys with no experience but really who was the last guy we gave a shot to that didn't have much experience? Creehan? And that was under tim burke so really... prior to that? I can't really think of the guy.

We seem to have gone a bit of a veteran DC route before, more so rookie head coaches. 

Burke, Etch... both experience DC's. Regardless, Creehan was the only guy that wasn't. 

I don't care if the guy has experience or not, sometimes experience is a bad thing as seen with etch, sometimes it's a good thing.

Sometimes being a rookie DC is a bad thing, sometimes in the case of guys like Thorpe,Steinhauer,Washington it's a good thing. 

Should the Bombers asked Huff permission to speak to Stubler for the DC position? then maybe throw in the Asst HC  title to make it a promotion.

Because if Huff doesn't want to lose Claybrooks, making him the DC will keep him in Calgary.

Stubler won't leave unless he's fired.  His family lives close by and he wants to be around them.  The dude isn't young anymore, and his wife probably wants to be around the grand kids and the family while he's coaching 10-12 hours a day. 

Hall was the defensive coordinator in sask last year, sask like us were ranked in the bottom 3 in points given up. Not sure i like Hall, Benevides?

Separating players from scheme makes it hard to draw conclusions.  The Riders were pretty bad defending the pass but pretty good against the run.  We have the makings of a very good secondary.

So hypothetically does Hall benefit from our good secondary or ruin our secondary with bad schemes?  Right now that's unknowable.