Stand Pat & Tweak or ... Make Real Changes

BigBlue

Turning over 50% of our Can-con is a sure recipe for failure.

Besides ... Newman, Sherman, JFG, Kohlert, Watson, Bucknor, Jones, Briggs, Pontbriand, Goossen, Neufeld, Greaves, Hajrullahu, Thomas, Lucas, Morley, West ... That's 17 guys right there and while they're not all "stars" you can certainly find roles for them on a roster.

I'm surprised to see that you think we should roster the same 4 OL as last year.  I sure hope Walters isn't thinking the same thing.  Same thing on the defensive line.  Ideally we will find the talent to replace at least one of Thomas and Lucas.  Neither one is good enough to take starter's reps and that's what we need.  There will be opportunities in free agency and through the draft to improve one of those spots.  What purpose does a guy like Dan West serve when we are dressing an American safety?  He's not going to take LB reps ahead of Briggs, Sherman, and Newman.  Again, we can do better in that spot through free agency and the draft.

That's all I'm saying.  Here we have the deepest free agency class in the last decade or more, and by all accounts the deepest draft as well.  This off-season will be unprecedented in terms of player turnover.  Why should we stand pat when we know the team isn't good enough?  I can understand that Canadians take time to turn over.  Fine.  But there is no reason to trot out the same sorry Americans this season.  I'd keep Willy, Marve, Cotton, Moore, Denmark, Turner, Anderson, Wild, Sears, Randle, Johnson, Washington, Leggett, and Stoudermire.  That is 14 players out of 25 Americans.  11 spots to fill.  Add on 4-6 new Canadian players and you have 15-17 new players, or about 40% roster turnover.  Seems very reasonable to me.

I'm not saying they need to have their roles back, I'm saying there's room for them somewhere. Guys like West, Thomas and Lucas serve purposes. Maybe we can bump them down the depth chart but not off the roster entirely. Same with the OL.

I agree.. As the team that has, without a doubt, the worst canadian talent depth in the land... We simply cannot afford to kick players to the curb and hope to replace them.. We need to keep them around in case we don't land a better LB/DB to play teams or OL to push the guys currently rostered.. In an ideal world, sure we will replace the backup backups etc with better talent but one never knows.. If that means keeping them on the roster a bit longer, so be it..

Doesn't look like the Bombers are going to settle on our current roster...

Darren Cameron reports Dec. 16...

Kyle recently held three days of extensive meetings, 10-12 hours a day, with our scouting department, and our Head Coach. There, they went over everything from details of this past season to our pending free agents and all of the free agents around the league. With Kyle presiding over the meetings, the dialogue was very open.  Conversations included talk about certain positions where we feel we need to upgrade, and how the scouting staff of Danny McManus, Ted Goveia, and Drew Morris would go about meeting these needs. The massive amount of knowledge these individuals have about the rosters, and individual players/positions at every school across North America, as well as NFL bubble guys, was amazing to listen to.   

And:

The five men carried out intense conversations for hours, touching aspects even further down the line such as the CFL Draft, to be held in May. The organization and diligent preparation by these men in everything they do is very evident.

Kyle Walters:

“Our focus as an organization still remains to build through the CFL draft, specifically offensive linemen, and add in free agency when deemed viable. Every year, we want to draft some offensive linemen, almost always one early on, and begin to develop that player within our organization. Having Canadian offensive lineman constantly in the hopper is invaluable.  I really don’t believe in building your team through free agency. Adding a piece here and there is great, but you build a strong football team through the CFL Draft first, and young American talent that your scouting department finds you.”

Interesting blog reading -

I'm not saying they need to have their roles back, I'm saying there's room for them somewhere. Guys like West, Thomas and Lucas serve purposes. Maybe we can bump them down the depth chart but not off the roster entirely. Same with the OL.

I agree.. As the team that has, without a doubt, the worst canadian talent depth in the land... We simply cannot afford to kick players to the curb and hope to replace them.. We need to keep them around in case we don't land a better LB/DB to play teams or OL to push the guys currently rostered.. In an ideal world, sure we will replace the backup backups etc with better talent but one never knows.. If that means keeping them on the roster a bit longer, so be it..

I don't necessarily believe that to be true either. We have the worst top end Canadian talent in the league, but as far as depth goes, we got a lot more out of our backend guys than most teams would.

Kyle recently held three days of extensive meetings, 10-12 hours a day, with our scouting department, and our Head Coach. There, they went over everything from details of this past season to our pending free agents and all of the free agents around the league. With Kyle presiding over the meetings, the dialogue was very open.  Conversations included talk about certain positions where we feel we need to upgrade, and how the scouting staff of Danny McManus, Ted Goveia, and Drew Morris would go about meeting these needs. The massive amount of knowledge these individuals have about the rosters, and individual players/positions at every school across North America, as well as NFL bubble guys, was amazing to listen to.   

It's awesome that our PR guy had his mind blown. 

And:

The five men carried out intense conversations for hours, touching aspects even further down the line such as the CFL Draft, to be held in May. The organization and diligent preparation by these men in everything they do is very evident.

Kyle Walters:

“Our focus as an organization still remains to build through the CFL draft, specifically offensive linemen, and add in free agency when deemed viable. Every year, we want to draft some offensive linemen, almost always one early on, and begin to develop that player within our organization. Having Canadian offensive lineman constantly in the hopper is invaluable.  I really don’t believe in building your team through free agency. Adding a piece here and there is great, but you build a strong football team through the CFL Draft first, and young American talent that your scouting department finds you.”

Interesting blog reading -

Ho hum.

It's awesome that our PR guy had his mind blown. 

Ho hum.

The information has been provided for Bomber fans….how you choose to assess it is up to you.

At least bearpants got it right.

The "Ho hum" was in response to the pronouncements about drafting good NI's and beating the bushes for good Import players- pretty cliche. The blog does reinforce my sense of O'Shea's character and I still think he's the best man for the job, providing he learns as he goes.

What do I expect them to do?  Stand pat and assume that the decisions they made last year are all the right ones.  

I'll be shocked at this point, and so will Doug Brown, if our OC and DC aren't keeping their jobs.  Neither will suddenly 'Get It' and change the way they've always been.  Our QB will continue to get killed because MB's offensive leaves much to be desired in the protection schemes.  Even Calvillo looked like he was done under a MB offense.  Etch's defense will continue to be weak against the run and we will be told that doesn't matter.

We are going to stand pat and I expect another mediocre season.  O'Shea will not admit that his coordinator choices were weak, so he's going to carry on.  I expect, at best, that we end up making the playoffs and losing in the semi-final.  And I think that's a rather generous "best case".

The wheels on the bus go round & round. Round & round. Round & round...

Well then.

Interesting blog... granted the source has an obvious bias... but still nice to read about some of the inner workings of the team 

WHY WON'T THEY LET US KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!!!

Please say you're being silly when you say that.

Never.

I'm being facetious.

Coaching is a bigger problem than talent for the Bombers IMO.

Fair enough. I think though it's more of a combination of things that play a part in our bigger 'problems'.

Every area needs to go through a continous improvement process for this organization. i think we need to cast the net quite wide in areas we feel need some refinement, some tweaking, some overhauls from executive, from management, from coaching to the team talent we field this coming season.