Former Bomber Coach Mike Riley

Rids

He was involved in a sexual assault scandal at Oregon so that's likely why he's moving on. It involved players but apparently he was aware and did nothing.

Wow, talk about horribly misrepresenting a story.  Here is the actual story for anyone interested:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

He was involved in a sexual assault scandal at Oregon so that's likely why he's moving on. It involved players but apparently he was aware and did nothing.

Wow, talk about horribly misrepresenting a story.  Here is the actual story for anyone interested:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/11/canzano_her_name_is_brenda_tra.html

From that article:

"After the arrests, Riley ignored the cries for due process and immediately suspended Dandridge and Carlyle from all team activities."

and

"Pam Hediger, a deputy district attorney for Benton County in 1998, announced 20 days after the arrests that criminal charges would not be filed."

I think it is a stretch to suggest that Mike Riley is guilty of anything here.   The DA investigated and decided not to press charges.  There was no mention of a "cover-up" at all on Riley's part.   The incident is 16 years old, and Riley left for the NFL and then returned to OSU in that time frame.  I don't think this incident had anything to do with his going to Nebraska.

Thanks for that link (even though it's a really long read).  Horribly misrepresenting might be an understatement.  It's good to see some positives come out of such a negative.

Anyways, the real story, Riley moving to Nebraska, it sounds like there are plenty of people in the fan base not sad to see him go.  They are always going to be a small player against the other PAC12 monsters, but it sounds like there are expectations that they should be competitive with those other schools more than intermittently.  Nothing wrong with expectations like that, but I suspect a new coach will do little to change the dynamics of that conference and the recruiting disadvantage Corvalis will always have.

Anyways, I'm glad Riley left Oregon State.

As an Oregon fan, I hate cheering against Mike Riley. Now I don't have to.

Riley was the only reason I cheered for Oregon State.  That, and cheering for the underdog.  Now what?  Cheer for the Huskies?  Yeesh.

Super interesting read. I wonder if she will end up speaking at Oregon after all.

Speaking to Iso's remark about it being 'too late' - perhaps it's too late for a conviction, but not too late for today's Oregon players to learn something about being a decent human. Good for her for coming forward. I would have preferred these guys got their just desserts in prison, but I guess we'll have to settle for Tracy overcoming her emotional trauma to promote awareness of sexual abuse and maybe help in preventing other women from suffering a similar fate.

OSU are always the poor cousins to Oregon. The Ducks have Nike backing them, have more money, bigger stadium & a wider following not only in Oregon but nationally in the US as well. Nebraska is in the Big 12 & I don't know if it's a bigger program than OSU but no question the entire state is behind that team. Unlike Oregon where there is a deep seated hatred between the fans of both teams in that state.

OSU are always the poor cousins to Oregon. The Ducks have Nike backing them, have more money, bigger stadium & a wider following not only in Oregon but nationally in the US as well. Nebraska is in the Big 12 & I don't know if it's a bigger program than OSU but no question the entire state is behind that team. Unlike Oregon where there is a deep seated hatred between the fans of both teams in that state.

Big 10

There was a time when it was the program everyone in the country looked at as the model

There was a time when it was the program everyone in the country looked at as the model

That would have been when? When Bud Riley was there in the late 60's? 

Personally, I don't get the hatred between them but then I'm a dumb Canuck so what do I know? Friends of ours went to the Civil War game in Corvalis last Saturday. They are Duck fans & a large contingent came up from Eugene to watch the game as well as around the State. After the game where the Beavers were pounded, my friend & her two kids were accosted by some Beaver fans. Cooler heads prevailed but my friend who is a Mom was going to wade in if her 2 kids were assaulted. I've seen the rivalry here between Edmonton & Calgary but these are university kids playing not professionals. You also see that in Alabama between that team & its fanbase & the fans from Auburn. It can get pretty crazy at times.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Oregon State!

Yeah, it's glory days are in the past, at least for now, but back in the 80's and 90's being a blackshirt was pretty much the ultimate status a defensive player could achieve in college ball.  And they were the kings of trench warfare on the offensive side.

And considering the lack of obstacles (relative to a place like Oregon State), re-building that program into a annual contender is possible.

That would have been when? When Bud Riley was there in the late 60's? 

From the 70's to the 90's they were a top school. Been searching for a guy to bring them to the top since Tom Osborne retired

Riley was the only reason I cheered for Oregon State.  That, and cheering for the underdog.  Now what?  Cheer for the Huskies?  Yeesh.

when I was a child, I lived in Vancouver B.C. I used to wander around the UBC campus a bit. and I remember seeing the Huskies players practising, up to play the UBC Thunderbirds.  very exciting for a small feller. That's all I got.

who does Marriota play for? heard he's not bad.

when I was a child, I lived in Vancouver B.C. I used to wander around the UBC campus a bit. and I remember seeing the Huskies players practising, up to play the UBC Thunderbirds.  very exciting for a small feller. That's all I got.

who does Marriota play for? heard he's not bad.

Mariota plays for Oregon (*spit*)

As much as Riley is a legend here, it says a lot about how far Nebraska has slipped that he ends up being their next coach.  Oregon State haven't posted double digit wins since 2006 and have only been bowl eligible 2 out of the last 5 seasons.  Extremely odd hire IMO.

Mike Riley has been on the hot seat there for a while but when it comes to the hire it's not as far out of left field as you may expect. I would attribute it more to the James Franklin hire at Penn State. A very good recruiter moving from a program that is stuck being the second fiddle program in their home state no matter what happens to moving to the clear #1 program in a new state that opens up a new recruiting ground for the program. 

Nebraska has 12 players that played high school right in Lincoln and only 7 that came from west of Colorado. Riley will open up the Inland Northwest for them. 

Also Riley is 6-2 in Bowl Games. They've gone to bowls in 5 in the past 7 years! Riley had OSU up to #7 in 2012 an routinely played a schedule that faced 4 or more ranked opponents every year. Oregon State has only been to 17 bowls total (11-6 record) with Riley winning more than any other coach. 

Bo Pelini is 4-3 in Bowl Games (one win as an interim head coach and 3-3 as full time head coach) but also lost all three conference championship games including that memorable loss to unranked Wisconsin in 2012 while being the #14 ranked school in the country. 

I was surprised but think it's a good hire for Nebraska. The next coach in Corvallis will have a tough time. 

As much as Riley is a legend here, it says a lot about how far Nebraska has slipped that he ends up being their next coach.  Oregon State haven't posted double digit wins since 2006 and have only been bowl eligible 2 out of the last 5 seasons.  Extremely odd hire IMO.

They also have finished in the Top 25 in 4 of the last 9 seasons despite never having a Top 40 recruiting class in that time. He has for sure over achieved with the Oregon State program. Also turned down USC on two different occasions so Nebraska isn't the only school to value Riley.