Around the CFL Offseason Discussion

Mike

That's what all Rider fans say. If they go over the cap just pay the fine so who cares? Yet, a decade ago the same Rider fans were crying the blues accusing other teams of spending too much & they couldn't compete so the SMS was brought in. Now, the perennial cheaters just pay the fine & it's alright. What a joke.

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information? You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon. If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.
You keep missing the point. Iso has been around the CFL message boards for a long long time, so have I, so have many others, we all remember the screaming that Rider fans used to do about the Esks "cheating" by spending way more money than the Riders could afford and how unfair it was. Now the tables are turned and the Riders are the ones spending like drunken sailors without a care in the world about the cap and Rider fans rush to defend it at every chance. It's the fact that the fan base are being giant hypocrites that people here are pointing out nothing more nothing less.
I totally agree with the first part of your post, its the second part I disagree with. 100k is 2% of a 5 million dollar SMS. Drunken sailor is a bit of a stretch isn't it?
It is when the Riders are the only team to over spend on a consistent basis. Considering the penalty is a fine it really is spending their way to the top. If it was wrong for Edmonton to do it back in the day when they had more money than the Riders it is just as wrong for the Riders to do it now that they actually have money. If Rider fans would simply accept that they're being hypocrites no one would care, but the fact that a lot of you try and justify it opens yourselves up to criticism.

If Riders were over by a significant amount I could see your point but they were over be a rounding error in 2013 which is basically nothing. What speed limit do you drive at on a 100km/hr highway? Riders drove at about 100.1 km/hr.

See, justifying it. This is why Rider fans are the joke of the league. two faced hypocrites. Need another Al Ford era, remind the fan base to be humble. 

So here's to say, what would be the reaction here if it was a different team who did this and that the fans tried to justify their mistake? It seems that it's never bad unless the Riders do it.

So here's to say, what would be the reaction here if it was a different team who did this and that the fans tried to justify their mistake? It seems that it's never bad unless the Riders do it.

No other fan base was as vocal about how unfair it was that the Esks could spend their way to cups. The issue here is how Rider fans acted when it wasn't them doing it compared to how they act when they're the ones doing it. Joke of a fanbase plain and simple. 

No other fan base was as vocal about how unfair it was that the Esks could spend their way to cups. The issue here is how Rider fans acted when it wasn't them doing it compared to how they act when they're the ones doing it. Joke of a fanbase plain and simple.
That was many years ago, & just because there was a loud opposition to the Esks spending twice as much as other teams is irrelevent to today's fanbase. And you can call them a joke all you want, the fact are that the Riders are the monetary backbone of the CFL. Like Cohon said during GreyCup in Regina in '13, without the popularity of RiderNation there is no way the CFL would've had the bargaining power to demand the vastly improved TV deal with TSN. Did you ever wonder why TSN produced an NFL Films-like documentary on Grey Cup 2013 & nothing for the Stamps last year?

Ah yes, it's all about the Riders. Nobody else matters. Greatest fans in the CFL since 2007. Forget the 2 telethons to keep the team afloat. Forget getting 20,000 people out to a game or 70% capacity. Show me a qualitative analysis of TV viewership, merchandise etc and get back to me.

Nobody said nobody else matters. Bombers have a great fanbase.

That was many years ago, & just because there was a loud opposition to the Esks spending twice as much as other teams is irrelevent to today's fanbase. And you can call them a joke all you want, the fact are that the Riders are the monetary backbone of the CFL. Like Cohon said during GreyCup in Regina in '13, without the popularity of RiderNation there is no way the CFL would've had the bargaining power to demand the vastly improved TV deal with TSN. Did you ever wonder why TSN produced an NFL Films-like documentary on Grey Cup 2013 & nothing for the Stamps last year?

this is why everyone else laughs at you rider fans. so up your own asses it's not even funny. 

this is why everyone else laughs at you rider fans. so up your own asses it's not even funny.

http://youtu.be/JLubXffv8XQ

Yeah Cohon was just crowing to his audience. ;)

When another team goes over the cap 4 times we'll see how their fans react and whether they deserve mocking. At this point though the Riders are the only team that has done it.

When another team goes over the cap 4 times we'll see how their fans react and whether they deserve mocking. At this point though the Riders are the only team that has done it.

Well, they just raised the cap, so not likely anyone will.

Well, they just raised the cap, so not likely anyone will.

Cap went up and so did salaries. Austin has said the Ticats have cap issues and I doubt they are the only ones so it is very possible that a team will go over at some point.

That's what all Rider fans say. If they go over the cap just pay the fine so who cares? Yet, a decade ago the same Rider fans were crying the blues accusing other teams of spending too much & they couldn't compete so the SMS was brought in. Now, the perennial cheaters just pay the fine & it's alright. What a joke.

Have you ever looked up the word cheat in the dictionary? Just wondering. What are the Riders doing that is not public information? You keep references a decade ago: are the riders secretly paying double or triple the payroll that the bombers are? Do you have any facts to back up your argument or are you just howling at the moon. If you want to discuss it, I'm all ears, if you just want to bash the riders go ahead its your site.

You keep missing the point. Iso has been around the CFL message boards for a long long time, so have I, so have many others, we all remember the screaming that Rider fans used to do about the Esks "cheating" by spending way more money than the Riders could afford and how unfair it was. Now the tables are turned and the Riders are the ones spending like drunken sailors without a care in the world about the cap and Rider fans rush to defend it at every chance. It's the fact that the fan base are being giant hypocrites that people here are pointing out nothing more nothing less.

I totally agree with the first part of your post, its the second part I disagree with. 100k is 2% of a 5 million dollar SMS. Drunken sailor is a bit of a stretch isn't it?
It is when the Riders are the only team to over spend on a consistent basis. Considering the penalty is a fine it really is spending their way to the top. If it was wrong for Edmonton to do it back in the day when they had more money than the Riders it is just as wrong for the Riders to do it now that they actually have money. If Rider fans would simply accept that they're being hypocrites no one would care, but the fact that a lot of you try and justify it opens yourselves up to criticism.

If Riders were over by a significant amount I could see your point but they were over be a rounding error in 2013 which is basically nothing. What speed limit do you drive at on a 100km/hr highway? Riders drove at about 100.1 km/hr.

Wait wait wait... So you are telling us the riders have a problem with math? No way.. Tho I think i do recall hearing something about that before... Hmmm. What could it have been..

Whom ever feels going over the cap is cheating is wrong. It's a soft cap with penalties, it's like getting called on offside. Sometimes it might even be considered like pass interference. I personally would want my team spending to just over the cap every year if they can afford it because the penalty really isn't that bad until you are more than 100k over.

Wait wait wait... So you are telling us the riders have a problem with math? No way.. Tho I think i do recall hearing something about that before... Hmmm. What could it have been..

Are you refering to Kavis Reed? The man you guys hired as DC after the 09 GreyCup?

Taman probably got confused and thought he was paying Ryan and not Chris.

I don't understand how Bombers fans want their team to spend $250K+ on Heenan who's coming off a tough season & who's never been a west Allstar yet they question Getzlaf's contract who's the only active NI receiver who's had 2 1000 yard seasons & been an Allstar. So it's smarter to spend big money on potential rather than on top Canadian's who've already delivered? Odd.

What, Migs back under a different name? Why am I not surprised? The guy has no life. Hey Migsy just want to say hello & if you're banned but snuck on here using a different IP address & name then you're a douchebag.

I hope you aren't refering to me. After reading your post, let me guess, you are a twelve year old posting in your parents basement. Who uses the word douchbag anyways?

Thanks for the welcome

Well, I never named names or singularly picked you out so it's funny how that message offended you. And if I never mentioned you then I have nothing to apologize to you for.Besides, what better way to flush out a guy with an ego the size Migs has than by being insulting. For all I know it is you Migs so you're welcome back. Migs has done this before here & on other sites being perma banned only to come back under some new nickname he came up & denying it's him only to be discovered later. Time will tell if Migs has come back as he has a definite posting style. If you're not Migs then no need to be offended. In case you don't know MIgs or whatever name he calls himself he is probably the most loathed & hated poster anywhere posting on the CFL universe. I'd say he is a POS but it has redeeming qualities because it is expelled fecal material. Migs isn't even that. 

Wide Right & Ripper, you'll find that I'm not a bad guy here & neither are most others if you are posting & respect our team or don't play the Prider routine constantly. I'm more than willing to give you guys a chance. I welcome you & other CFL fans here if they give good takes. It may not seem like it after what I said above but I do. But, please remember that this is a Bomber forum & the Riders are a huge rival so your team will take shots from time to time.More than any other team. It's how you handle it that will determine if you stay here long term or not. Anyway you say you're not Migs so I believe you. 

I personally am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is Migs.

When EDM did it in the dynasty days or any other team since like TOR that spent wildly it was called "unfair,unwise , evil and hurting the league".

When Riders do it they call it "building a winner".

Esk's payroll was two to three times what the other teams were paying. Comparing that to the current Riders spending less than 100k more than other teams is hilarious to say the least. How about the stamps paying Flutie one million a year, why don't we talk about that? Or the Argo with Rocket Ismail?
"WE'RE NOT CHEATING AS BADLY AS OTHERS CHEATED!!!11!!!"

don't ever change Rider fans, don't ever change.

How do you think the Stamps can pay for 2 starter quality QBs, Cornish, Hughes, Lewis, Federkeil, Wall, Raymond, McDaniel, Simpson, etc?

I swear some think the Riders are the only team that commands their star players to be paid top dollar.

Exact same argument you tried using a BB.com Migs....what did you copy and paste it.

So who are our targets in Free Agency? Heenan is a given, likely Rodgers and Bryant but who else?

There is no way we get Heenan. We would have to GROSSLY overpay for SK to let him go -- he's a local boy, old man is a Riderdouche, blah blah.

He wants to go to the NFL. Or play in SK.

I would like to say take a huge run at him to get SK to burn a bunch of cap money to keep him, but they dont follow the cap anyway so whats the point?

I love the CFL and defend it up and down. But the way the cap is treated makes me think it needs a serious cleansing

So we grossly overpay. It's not like the Bombers are up against the cap like the Riders. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing our qbs being used for punching bags by other teams defensive linemen in the league. I don't care what they pay the guy to sign him. Just sign him.

How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

No he didn't. We've gone around this mulberry bush with you already Migs at BB.com. Anyone still doubting this is MIgs...go over and read the Rider thread on BB.com. The exact same arguments and statements that Migs was using there, he is trying to re-invent over here.

How do you know the Riders are up against the cap when you don't have access to salaries? Taman said he will be aggressive on the 10th.

When Taman was here he believed in his first offer also being his best offer, presumably to "wow" the player and get him to sign before the money goes to someone else and the offer is pulled. Why do you think Heenan hasn't already seen Taman's best offer and passed?

How do you know what Heenan has or hasn't seen? Heenan is concentrating on NFL right now.

Heenan may be eyeing the NFL, but he is also made it clear he wants to test CFL FA if that doesn't work out. NUMEROUS sources including your own GM have said so. Players don't test FA unless they want to leave, or are unhappy with what their team has offered them so far. Simple as that.

For a lot of reasons, I don’t usually publically post or discuss site discipline.

Wide Right has now been banned.  This morning he used an IP address that was common to one that only Migs has used in the past.  Of course this is never 100% proof that it is the same poster, it could mean that they simply work at the same company.  But the other evidence that was posted made it compelling enough to ban him.

And by posting this, he will know not to post from that IP address again in the future (one of the reasons I don’t usually disclose this stuff).

As a rule, I don’t like to ban people.  In the history of this site, there have been 4 people banned.  3 if you count Migs and Wide Right as one.   Not something we do lightly.  And being a Rider fan is not reason enough to ban people. 

But with Migs, he keeps coming back because there are a group of posters who fall for his schtick every time.  He wants to derail threads, he wants to post silly arguments to get the replies from you.  You will never win an argument with him, you will never get him to see the light, as he obviously has no interest in that.    So when he does return the next time, the best thing you can really do is ignore him, and don’t give him what he wants.

And seriously, “letting you at him”, will have no effect on him what so ever.  Words can’t hurt people or put them in the hospital.  Letting you at him is exactly what he wants and why he comes here.