George Cortez won't be back with Riders in 2015

gbill2004

Everyone loves Cortez and I don't understand why. Name brand, maybe?

Cortez - cortex, do they both connote cerebral?

For me, the mystic of Cortez has worn off. He was unremarkable last year in handling Sask.'s offence, especially with DD out. 

He's morphing into what looks like, a grumpy old man and if he can't get along with anybody, then why would we want that?

And what's with our own fans disrespecting our own OC's name?

He may figure out as one HC or OC candidate for BC

and OC for MTL as Dinwiddie's replacement.

CGY, EDM, OTT are already set at OC.

I cant see him being picked up by TOR (as Millanovich OC?), HAM (as Austin's OC?)

And of course he's out of SSK.

What makes you think Montreal will replace Dinwiddie?

Considering Toronto and Hamilton are set at OC I agree they wouldn't be interested.

One, Higgins and Cortez has a working history with the Stamps during the 90's.

Two, Higgins inherited Dinwiddie from the previous coach.

Popp hired the coaching staff last year (including Dinwiddie), not Dawkins. Just like Popp had most of the coaching staff in place before Higgins was hired. 

Farhan Laljhi was just on TSN1290. He said he can't see any way Cortez works in BC this year. He also thought it would be a mistake for the Bombers to bring him in. He thinks Cortez is hard to work with and wouldn't fit in well. He said he'd keep MB, unless we're absolutely sure we can upgrade.

He also said he thinks the Bombers have contacted Benevedes about being our DC. He said three teams have called him and he's pretty sure the Bombers were one of those teams. He thinks Etch will be out and MB stays.

I listened to that too, (thanks for the head's up) and Farhan sounds definite in some of what he's saying and speculative in other points.

He's definite that 3 teams contacted MB (Benevides). And, as you said, he speculates that one of those teams is Wpg.

He's definite that Khari Jones wants clarity because, right now, he's in limbo.

I believe Farhan in his assessment of Cortez for Winnipeg in that he believes Wpg. needs stability/long term in their OC and that Cortez won't bring that aspect to the table.

He speculates that Mike Benevides could be Toronto bound IF Scott Milanovich moves on.

What's also interesting about Benevides is that his extension doesn't take effect until Dec. 15th - if he's he's still employed, meaning Bene is out of luck for getting paid for the next 2 years.

Benevides could also take LaPolice's position at TSN if he moves on.

I would looovvve Mike Benevides as DC here even though it would be confusing…we already have a Mike and MB coaching.

This also could mean that the WFC is approaching potential candidates for coaching positions….and not telling us.

Oh, the horrors!

Cause he puts a good offense on the field and has for quite a number of years now. More than that though, Bellefool needs to get gone. We'll never be a winning team with him around. 

Yes this!

Let us all high five to this!

giphy.gif

For me, the mystic of Cortez has worn off. He was unremarkable last year in handling Sask.'s offence, especially with DD out. 

He's morphing into what looks like, a grumpy old man and if he can't get along with anybody, then why would we want that?

Why is he deity or something?

It's a football forum. And I'm sure Marcel wouldn't care.

Get over yourself. 

Get over yourself. 

You sound like a Rider fan.

It's an easy but unoriginal mangling of one of our coach's name, and gets old.

And it isn't about me.

You need to understand the difference.

Get over yourself. 

And it isn't about me.

You sound like an utterly humourless person. 

To each their own. 

Get over yourself. 

And it isn't about me.

You sound like an utterly humourless person. 

To each their own. 

Just an FYI...you do remember Nate use to do that name butchering all the time right?

Just saying...

Because he has a proven track record and most people ignore Sasks woes because of injured qb and crap receivers dropping balls.   

MB has never shown an elite offense and the fans are tired of mediocrity on offense.   

What do you suggest the blue do?   

Cortez from everything I've read, has a very strong personality that leads to short tenures everywhere he has coached recently.

Talent or not, is that really what we want here?

Because he has a proven track record and most people ignore Sasks woes because of injured qb and crap receivers dropping balls.   

MB has never shown an elite offense and the fans are tired of mediocrity on offense.   

What do you suggest the blue do?   

Cortez from everything I've read, has a very strong personality that leads to short tenures everywhere he has coached recently.

Talent or not, is that really what we want here?

This team could probably use some strong personalities. After the lame assed nice guys with poor systems we've had would be a positive change to get someone to grab the offense by the balls and get em playing the right way. 

It would be interesting to get Willy's perspective on the difference between MB and GCortez.

From what I can gather, Drew has a lot of respect for the current OC.

I don't know if we can pin the failings of the 2014 offence on Bellefeuille or the OL.  Is Bellefeuille's offence (and Willy) effective with a league average OL or better?  Does the offence (and/or the QB) make the OL look worse than it is.

Personally, I think both statements are somewhat true.  Bellefeuille's offence can't truly be evaluated if the QB is having to improvise as often as Willy had to in 2014; but the guy was a statue in the pocket as the season wore on. 

I think if we're throwing money at problems, I throw it at the OL and the DC.  If the OL improves, Bellefeuille's offence MAY be better in 2015.  Etch's scheme is a known quantity, and HE brought in the players he wanted to fit in the scheme.  That's not a failure you can lay at the feet of the players.

Maybe what Marcel needs is better inputs from his assistants. If Oshea opts to keep him, I want to see a offensive maybe added and/or replaced the existing ones... like....

Dyce for Howell as Receivers coach (plus additional title perhaps) .... or

Khari for Dahlquist for QB coach... or

Gibson for Pierce (promote as QB coach? ) as RB coach.

It would be interesting to get Willy's perspective on the difference between MB and GCortez.

I don't know if we can pin the failings of the 2014 offence on Bellefeuille or the OL.  Is Bellefeuille's offence (and Willy) effective with a league average OL or better?  Does the offence (and/or the QB) make the OL look worse than it is.

Personally, I think both statements are somewhat true.  Bellefeuille's offence can't truly be evaluated if the QB is having to improvise as often as Willy had to in 2014; but the guy was a statue in the pocket as the season wore on. 

I think if we're throwing money at problems, I throw it at the OL and the DC.  If the OL improves, Bellefeuille's offence MAY be better in 2015.  Etch's scheme is a known quantity, and HE brought in the players he wanted to fit in the scheme.  That's not a failure you can lay at the feet of the players.

If we can judge etch based on history we can judge bellefool on history too. When and offensive coordinator has been on many teams and been at best average I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt. 

Maybe what Marcel needs is better inputs from his assistants. If Oshea opts to keep him, I want to see a offensive maybe added and/or replaced the existing ones... like....

Dyce for Howell as Receivers coach (plus additional title perhaps) .... or

Khari for Dahlquist for QB coach... or

Gibson for Pierce (promote as QB coach? ) as RB coach.

thought Dahlquist did good with the QBs

It's the OC's plays that tell the OL where they need to go.  According to January, the schemes were not very good and made the OL look bad.  And from what I saw, I tend to agree.

You can give MB all the best OL in the world and I bet our offense will still suck.

It's the OC's plays that tell the OL where they need to go.  According to January, the schemes were not very good and made the OL look bad.  And from what I saw, I tend to agree.

You can give MB all the best OL in the world and I bet our offense will still suck.

Bellefeuille made Calvillo look like he was washed up and the montreal OL look useless in 07 that says a lot right there.