Mike Benevides Fired

Atomic

I would welcome Benevides as a DC but he will probably want to lick his wounds for awhile- most do, and Burke was the exception. Huffer will have to promise Dickenson the head coach job within a couple of years to keep him in Cowgary, and if Trestman returns to the CFL (still iffy), he would create a ripple effect if he takes a presently-filled job on Montreal. I figure Wally will be given a year to right the ship in Vancouver and that will put pressure on him to have a competitive, durable quarterback by next spring, I still think Khari  would be a good fit here.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Is this buono throwing benevides under the bus? Buono made quite a few questionable moves in the off-season. 

A little bit, but I'd also say it's about what he did with the team he inherited.

Over here Burke inherited a turd (looked at it and said keep on keeping on).  Benevides inherited a team that had contended every year for quite a while and had been getting groomed for the transition, basically a turnkey operation when he took over.  I've wondered before what would have happened if those two had flipped places.  Does Burke become a smarter coach and Benevides the guy who gets mocked?

Is this buono throwing benevides under the bus? Buono made quite a few questionable moves in the off-season. 

A little bit, but I'd also say it's about what he did with the team he inherited.

Over here Burke inherited a turd (looked at it and said keep on keeping on).  Benevides inherited a team that had contended every year for quite a while and had been getting groomed for the transition, basically a turnkey operation when he took over.  I've wondered before what would have happened if those two had flipped places.  Does Burke become a smarter coach and Benevides the guy who gets mocked?

I know Burke wasn't put into a great situation, but the way he handled his coaching gig here leads me to believe he isn't head coaching material.

It is when things go bad that you show your real colors because something is always going to go wrong, just different degrees.  Just the things he would say to the media, deflecting blame, etc ... it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your "leader".

Can't imagine the A&W Root Bear in blue and gold, just wouldn't look right.

On another front apparently sparks are flyiing in the Bomber's offices over Etch's future.

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 10m10 minutes ago

@3lue_n_6old Sounds like there's a power struggle over Etcheverry's future right now.

Well that sucks.....was hoping Marcel was in the conversation too :)

Can't imagine the A&W Root Bear in blue and gold, just wouldn't look right.

On another front apparently sparks are flyiing in the Bomber's offices over Etch's future.

Kirk Penton ‏@PentonKirk 10m10 minutes ago

@3lue_n_6old Sounds like there's a power struggle over Etcheverry's future right now.

Well that sucks.....was hoping Marcel was in the conversation too :)

He probably is, just there isn't any topics on this site talking about MARCEL.. quick create one, get a bunch of responses and soon enough, there probably will be a "tweet" suggesting MARCEL isn't safe. 

I know Burke wasn't put into a great situation, but the way he handled his coaching gig here leads me to believe he isn't head coaching material.

It is when things go bad that you show your real colors because something is always going to go wrong, just different degrees.  Just the things he would say to the media, deflecting blame, etc ... it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in your "leader".

What he should have done and did not do was go clean slate on the organization.  Instead he kept almost everything as it was, which was the same people who got the last coach fired.  And when that led to failure, as was totally inevitable, he had no clue what to do with a situation that he had not created but had a chance to change and chose not to.  And the time to use them all as scapegoats for failure had passed because he brought them all back and said these are my guys.  Which led to all the mumblebum nonsense that came out of his mouth in the second half of the season, when he couldn't for the life of him figure out the right thing to say.

Would he change it all if given a do-over?  He'd be a moron not to (and that's what I think he was trying to say when he talked about it not being the way he wanted his first head coaching job to be, which is still nonsense because he had 4 more months to prepare for his first season as a head coach than a normal first-time coach gets and this is a really long parenthesis).  Would that change the outcome?  Maybe not.  He reacted poorly to situations he might never have found himself in if he'd done it differently from the start, but hardships of some sort come with the job.

Which is why I'm strongly opposed to mid-season head coaching changes.  All that needs to happen is for the interim guy to do an average job, below average even.  Slightly under .500 is considered good enough to get that interim tag removed because that's probably slightly better than the guy he replaced.  And then a guy who hasn't demonstrated anything gets around a hiring process that should have happened and wastes a second season that could be spent rebuilding with the real new head coach.  See  Burke, Tim and Daley, Jim.

Please Wally, please hire Lapo!

I would imagine Dave Dickenson & Paul Lapolice would be at the top of the list of replacements. Even though Dickey is Cgy coach-in-waiting

I wonder if Lapo would like to get back into the 10 hr daily grind of coaching in B.C or stay here with his wife and kids,  and make the weekly trek to the center of the universe to do his TSN gig? Time will tell I suppose...

With B.C. it's all about the quarterback position. Lulay was never healthy, and when he did play that one game against Ottawa he looked terrible, and Kevin Glenn seems to have regressed in my opinion. Harris played well when healthy, Arceneaulx did the best he could considering who was throwing him the ball, Bighill and Elimimian performed as expected as well. Yes the defence got burned now and again, but that's football, especially in a game that is now greatly in favour of offences considering how rules have been adjusted, interpreted as of late. The offensive line hasn't been that good the last few years, but that hasn't stopped B.C. before from being pretty competitive in general. The big difference this year was quarterback play, and it killed them.

anyone else get the feeling that Glenn has started his last CFL game after that performance last Sunday? Can't see anyone bringing him on board in lieu of developing young talent...

How many active QBs in the world right now have won games as a CFL starter? It's a tiny pool of guys. Barring injury Glenn will be around for a long while yet.

If Lulay is as done as everyone thinks he is, you'd figure KG is the Lions' best option to start the opening game of 2015.

Remember, the last guy who cut him without having a solid replacement in the wings kinda regretted it. :)

I'd like to see us get Cortez as OC. As for DC, Steinhauer in TO, Washington in BC, or even Benevides would all be upgrades. 

Steinhauer is DC in Hamilton. Burke is Toronto's DC. Steinhauer didn't want to leave Hamilton last season so I don't see why he would move after this season.

Now was it the qb play or the play calling? I know Glenn is shakey but why would they not dink and dunk constantly to Harris and Logan?

Harris missed half the season.  Their best slotback missed half the season and most of the imports they played at receiver were crap.  Their OL is terrible.  9-9 wasn't bad for them IMO given how the season developed.  They were one Edmonton mailing away of a game from playing in the West playoffs where they probably would have beaten Edmonton last week, instead they end up playing Montreal at 9 am pacific time and get pasted.  I see Buono's work as much more of a problem for BC.