Mike Benevides Fired

Atomic

so as of now, it looks like the possible candidates for BC's HC will be:

- LaPolice

- Thorpe

- Millanovich (if he chose to leave TO)

As long as BC are willing to bring in talented players, I heard Tim Burke would like another shot at HC.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Out of the group failed HC (Cortez, Burke, LaPo, Marshall, etc...) Cortez has a tie with Buono, so I guess he is the strong possibility to be the next Leo's head coach and since he worked with Khari, Khari he can stay put as OC.  

There's been a lot of discussion about this in the past few months, so I'm not too surprised.

Not sure that I agree with the move though. BC was screwed from their injuries. Really not much Benevides could do about that. I might have given him one more year.

- LaPolice

- Thorpe

I think any preliminary list would have to include Trestman.  I know he is still in Chicago, but there is lots of speculation that the situation might change.

Just saw that after I submitted my post.

What's Cortez standing on the Riders ?

Doug Berry and Greg Marshall reunion in BC ?

I haven't been impressed with Cortez lately, but I don't think he will be fired. Even so, I would give him a second chance too. I don't think he did a good job coaching our younger quarterbacks; all he seemingly wanted to do a lot of the time was make them run the ball which clearly wasn't working. But again, he wasn't in control of our injuries, so I will let him off for that. Next year will be a better measuring stick for him. If he is incompetent again, then I say fire him.

Cortez is not the problem in Regina, you know what is the problem? Outside Dressler the receivers were horrible for the Riders. The run game was the only thing that worked. Durant was able to do just enough passing and avoid turnovers which allowed them to ride the defense to wins early, but without just enough from Durant the Riders offense was too predictable and easy to stop and as usual offenses pick up in the back half of the CFL season and you can't ride the D all year. What happened in Saskatchewan was exactly what everyone here told you would happen because it was obvious to anyone who didn't wear green coloured glasses.

- LaPolice

- Thorpe

As long as BC are willing to bring in talented players, I heard Tim Burke would like another shot at HC.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Out of the group failed HC (Cortez, Burke, LaPo, Marshall, etc...) Cortez has a tie with Buono, so I guess he is the strong possibility to be the next Leo's head coach and since he worked with Khari, Khari he can stay put as OC.  

George would be HC & OC like he was in Hamilton. KJ would go back to being a qb coach if he was hired. That won't happen as they'd never work together

Cortez is not the problem in Regina, you know what is the problem? Outside Dressler the receivers were horrible for the Riders. The run game was the only thing that worked. Durant was able to do just enough passing and avoid turnovers which allowed them to ride the defense to wins early, but without just enough from Durant the Riders offense was too predictable and easy to stop and as usual offenses pick up in the back half of the CFL season and you can't ride the D all year. What happened in Saskatchewan was exactly what everyone here told you would happen because it was obvious to anyone who didn't wear green coloured glasses.

Yeah, their run game may have worked here and there, but they used it far too much and made it easy to get stuffed after a while. And when Sunseri -or whoever was in as QB- actually did throw the football, it would go to someone like Schilens or Swain rather than throwing to our main core like Dressler and Getzlaf. They didn't throw to our good WRs enough.

- LaPolice

- Thorpe

Sorry couldn't resist.

George would be HC & OC like he was in Hamilton. KJ would go back to being a qb coach if he was hired. That won't happen as they'd never work together

Didn't they win a Grey Cup just last year in Regina with Cortez as OC and Khari as QB Coach? I'm not saying he would take the demotion (though Bobby Dyce did when Chamblin brought in Cortez), but why would say "they'd never work together"?

Yeah, their run game may have worked here and there, but they used it far too much and made it easy to get stuffed after a while. And when Sunseri -or whoever was in as QB- actually did throw the football, it would go to someone like Schilens or Swain rather than throwing to our main core like Dressler and Getzlaf. They didn't throw to our good WRs enough.

Because as I said, predictable and easy to defend. Seriously you had rookie qbs in (or a dumb Joseph). Take away the big threats and trust that the young guys won't be able to go through as many reads. You are clearly too used to having a good qb like Durant behind centre and don't understand the extent that a wet behind the ears limits what an offense can do. 

Signing Joseph was probably the dumbest move made by a CFL team in years. He never was a great qb even in his prime & somehow  both Taman & Chamblin thought they could win with him at 41? They got what they deserve. Chamblin seems to be saying that it's the players fault & changes need to be made. No mention of his coaching of course. Always the players. I hope they do blow up the Riders & bring in a bunch of cheaper & younger players so he can see what it's like to coach a team like that. And we can laugh at the Riders being bottom feeders again.

Because as I said, predictable and easy to defend. Seriously you had rookie qbs in (or a dumb Joseph). Take away the big threats and trust that the young guys won't be able to go through as many reads. You are clearly too used to having a good qb like Durant behind centre and don't understand the extent that a wet behind the ears limits what an offense can do. 

Do you have make him sound like an idiot - even when he basically agrees with you?

I pray to everything holy that the Riders are stupid enough to can Cortez. Just watch that entire operation steamroll off a cliff. It'll be glorious...

They won't. This is only the first time we've been eliminated since the Grey Cup, and even so, we were above .500, so unless this continues as a pattern, he will stay.

Wow, that one seems pretty out there.

I'm not his biographer but I don't think he's ever coached before in his career.  Even this year he was just brought in as a "consultant".

"Gaining steam" - ie, someone came up with the idea and now people are talking about it.  Once Buono starts talking about it then it might mean something.

Is SJ Green a Rider yet?

The Garcia to BC stuff is textbook Lawless/cheap rumour. Garcia played QB for Buono, won Grey Cup with Buono, therefore he is a candidate to be Buono's next head coach. It's a pretty big leap.

Garcia also quoted as saying he wants to be a head coach and feels he's ready, and Garcia's family lives in San Diego, so flight from BC is convenient.

Don't have the link, but saw on Twitter this morning that there's a Vancouver Province piece saying Garcia has thrown his hat in the ring...suggesting he'd like to be considered for the gig, anyhow. Doesn't really mean anything, but not just Lawless bullshit, anyhow...

Don't have the link, but saw on Twitter this morning that there's a Vancouver Province piece saying Garcia has thrown his hat in the ring...suggesting he'd like to be considered for the gig, anyhow. Doesn't really mean anything, but not just Lawless bullshit, anyhow...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/football/bc-lions/Lions+football+Jeff+Garcia+throws+into+ring/10410488/story.html

A league source confirmed that TSN analyst Paul LaPolice is interested in joining the CFL team that sought him out with a job offer as offensive co-ordinator prior to last season. As well, former all-star and Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia indicated his interest in the vacancy left by the firing of Mike Benevides after the Montreal Alouettes’ season came to a close in the East Division final Sunday.

LaPolice, who coached the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for parts of three seasons before taking the broadcast job but had far fewer wins (16) than Benevides (33), is considered among the front-runners on the basis of his work as offensive co-ordinator with Winnipeg and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Garcia joined the coaching ranks only this season with Montreal, but made it clear to the Winnipeg Free Press that he would like a role beyond that of a quarterbacks coach.

“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first,” said Garcia, who got his break in pro football in 1994 when he succeeded Doug Flutie at quarterback for Buono’s Calgary Stampeders.

“I understand offence and I’m a leader. If Wally called, I’d definitely listen and be interested.”

I wonder how much consideration would be given for our brass to give Garcia a call for OC?

​Seriously, a guy who knows offence, and has had exposure again to this league, is available…shouldn't we look into it?