Mike Benevides Fired

Atomic

Don't have the link, but saw on Twitter this morning that there's a Vancouver Province piece saying Garcia has thrown his hat in the ring...suggesting he'd like to be considered for the gig, anyhow. Doesn't really mean anything, but not just Lawless bullshit, anyhow...

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/football/bc-lions/Lions+football+Jeff+Garcia+throws+into+ring/10410488/story.html

A league source confirmed that TSN analyst Paul LaPolice is interested in joining the CFL team that sought him out with a job offer as offensive co-ordinator prior to last season. As well, former all-star and Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia indicated his interest in the vacancy left by the firing of Mike Benevides after the Montreal Alouettes’ season came to a close in the East Division final Sunday.

LaPolice, who coached the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for parts of three seasons before taking the broadcast job but had far fewer wins (16) than Benevides (33), is considered among the front-runners on the basis of his work as offensive co-ordinator with Winnipeg and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Garcia joined the coaching ranks only this season with Montreal, but made it clear to the Winnipeg Free Press that he would like a role beyond that of a quarterbacks coach.

“I want to be a head coach and I don’t necessarily think I need to be a co-ordinator first,” said Garcia, who got his break in pro football in 1994 when he succeeded Doug Flutie at quarterback for Buono’s Calgary Stampeders.

“I understand offence and I’m a leader. If Wally called, I’d definitely listen and be interested.”

I wonder how much consideration would be given for our brass to give Garcia a call for OC?

​Seriously, a guy who knows offence, and has had exposure again to this league, is available…shouldn't we look into it?

Duh doy.

Well you'd think anyway.

Jeff Garcia becoming a head coach in the CFL before Dave Dickenson just doesn't seem right.

Why?

Each has his own personal decision.

If Dickenson is happy and comfortable to remain being an OC no one can fault him for that. Plus he is successful with it.

If Garcia wants a big jump from QB coach to Head Coach no one can fault him for that either. He believe he's ready for that. Will he be successful? That remain to be seen.

Jeff Garcia becoming a head coach in the CFL before Dave Dickenson just doesn't seem right.

Why?

If Dickenson is happy and comfortable to remain being an OC no one can fault him for that. Plus he is successful with it.

If Garcia wants a big jump from QB coach to Head Coach no one can fault for that either. He believe he's ready for that. Will he be successful? That remain to be seen.

Matt Dunigan went from retired qb to studio analyst to Stampeder HC. It was a huge fail. Garcia has the playing but not coaching experience. I truly  believe that he needs to be a successful coordinator first before he becomes a HC.

If Dave Dickenson wanted to be a CFL head coach that badly he would be one already. His career goals though seem to be Calgary Stampeders Head Coach and he's happy to wait for his turn once Hufnagel steps back from the sidelines. 

Why?

If Garcia wants a big jump from QB coach to Head Coach no one can fault for that either. He believe he's ready for that. Will he be successful? That remain to be seen.

Matt Dunigan went from retired qb to studio analyst to Stampeder HC. It was a huge fail. Garcia has the playing but not coaching experience. I truly  believe that he needs to be a successful coordinator first before he becomes a HC.

Other than the discovery of John Grace it was a tremendous failure, but a not insignificant portion of that failure has to fall on that joke of an ownership group.

Would Garcia have a playbook?  That's not the kind of thing you just sit down and bang out over a cup of coffee.  He'll remember some of the things he's done over his career and could cobble something together, but guys spend years adding and removing concepts to their playbook as they get vetted.  His next step up will be a huge one; if he hasn't started preparing for it years ago he won't be ready now.

If Dave Dickenson wanted to be a CFL head coach that badly he would be one already. His career goals though seem to be Calgary Stampeders Head Coach and he's happy to wait for his turn once Hufnagel steps back from the sidelines. 

This is true. But, the point I was trying to make was that Garcia doesn't deserve to immediately be made a head coach. He needs to spend a few years as a coordinator first and get re-accumulated to the CFL game first. 

Pinball was able to make the jump right to Head Coach.  But I think he is more of the exception then the norm.

Took a few years, but he surrounded himself with great coaches as well. Austin and Stubler were the coordinators.

Guys need to come in with the right attitude and let their coaches coach. Hasn't really been the case for some of the failures.

Would be interesting to see Garcia for sure.

Garcia sure is full of himself. It's not worth the risk to appoint him a head coach and see him struggle.  Any GM who hires him right now as their head coach will also be writing their ticket out of town if Garcia fails miserably.  

He should do it the right way if he's truly serious about becoming a head coach.  This would never happen in the NFL,  so why does  he think he's ready to become a head coach in the CFL.  

Garcia sure is full of himself. It's not worth the risk to appoint him a head coach and see him struggle.  Any GM who hires him right now as their head coach will also be writing their ticket out of town if Garcia fails miserably.  

He should do it the right way if he's truly serious about becoming a head coach.  This would never happen in the NFL,  so why does  he think he's ready to become a head coach in the CFL.  

Because it's the CFL. Even a former player like Garcia thinks he can come in cold with no experience & be successful. I like Jeff but it's the height of arrogance that he thinks he can be a better coach than some of the guys who put in the time & sacrificed to learn. Slap in the face to them if he does get hired. . 

Because it's the CFL. Even a former player like Garcia thinks he can come in cold with no experience & be successful. I like Jeff but it's the height of arrogance that he thinks he can be a better coach than some of the guys who put in the time & sacrificed to learn. Slap in the face to them if he does get hired. . 

Hope he gets hired as HC and OC somewhere. Cause he'll make a good TSN analyst when he gets fired in 4 months. 

Hope he gets hired as HC and OC somewhere. Cause he'll make a good TSN analyst when he gets fired in 4 months. 

I don't think he'd make a good TSN analyst.  He doesn't have that nice voice that some guys do...although Schultz somehow made it so...so much for my theory.

Garcia never said he'd make a better head coach then anyone.  He just said he's ready to be a HC.  Don't put words in his mouth.  And just because none of us think he's ready, doesn't mean he isn't.  It's rare, but it happens.