Bomber free agents

gbill2004

Is there a list anywhere of all the pending Bomber free agents?  We signed a lot of new guys this past offseason so they should all be on at least 2 year deals.  Based on what I've heard through various sources, these guys would all be free agents:

Glenn January

Dan Knapp

Jarvis Jones

Brian Brohm

Johnny Sears

Aaron Woods

Desia Dunn

Anyone know if Kuale signed a one or two year deal?  If there's one guy I hope we never see around the team again, its him.

I found this list on the Winnipeg Sun website:

DT Zach Anderson

WR Romby Bryant

QB Brian Brohm

CB Matt Bucknor

LB Mike Cornell

LB Desia Dunn

OL Gord Hinse

OL Glenn January

WR Aaron Kelly

QB Josh Portis

LB Johnny Sears

LB Rene Stephan

OL Devin Tyler

RB Carl Volny

DB Demond Washington

LB Ian Wild

My take:

Resign:

DT Zach Anderson

CB Matt Bucknor

OL Glenn January - Still hope we can upgrade LT, but we need a plan B

LB Johnny Sears

LB Ian Wild 

Don't Care Either Way:

QB Brian Brohm - Same as Willy and we don't need 2 of the same style QB

QB Josh Portis  - Hard to say, didn't see him play

LB Mike Cornell - NI is his only advantage
LB Desia Dunn -  If we get a real MLB, Wild and Unamba should be the OLB's (I can't remember what Etch calls them).  Could be a good plan B guy.
DB Demond Washington - Too many penalties for me.
OL Gord Hinse - Stop gap center. 
OL Devin Tyler - Journeyman OL
LB Rene Stephan - 5 special teams tackles in 2 years.  NI.

Bye-Bye:

WR Romby Bryant - No upside, didn't play well enough

WR Aaron Kelly - Good hands. Has a hard time getting open. Should be able to upgrade.
RB Carl Volny - 4 years, 5 special teams tackles, 168 yards rushing don't impress me much

My take:

Resign:

DT Zach Anderson

CB Matt Bucknor

OL Glenn January - Still hope we can upgrade LT, but we need a plan B

LB Johnny Sears

LB Ian Wild 

Don't Care Either Way:

QB Brian Brohm - Same as Willy and we don't need 2 of the same style QB

QB Josh Portis  - Hard to say, didn't see him play

LB Mike Cornell - NI is his only advantage
LB Desia Dunn -  If we get a real MLB, Wild and Unamba should be the OLB's (I can't remember what Etch calls them).  Could be a good plan B guy.
DB Demond Washington - Too many penalties for me.
OL Gord Hinse - Stop gap center. 
OL Devin Tyler - Journeyman OL
LB Rene Stephan - 5 special teams tackles in 2 years.  NI.

Bye-Bye:

WR Romby Bryant - No upside, didn't play well enough

WR Aaron Kelly - Good hands. Has a hard time getting open. Should be able to upgrade.
RB Carl Volny - 4 years, 5 special teams tackles, 168 yards rushing don't impress me much

Curious on your reasoning for not wanting Brohm back.  Wouldn't it make sense to have your QBs play a similar style in terms of developing plays / game plans / and prep for how you are going to attack an opponent?  So that when the backup has to come in, they can essentially execute the same game plan that was planned for?

Or do you look at having the different style as a change of pace QB.  A 1a/b type situation where you can throw a guy in for a different look and have a few designed plays for him to execute.

And this isn't meant as a shot against Marve or anything like that.  I really like what I've seen from the guy and do want to see more.  Just curious about your reasoning for dumping Brohm.

Let me just add this.. one of Brohm or Portis needs to be signed too. 

To me, those 2 and Willy are pretty similar, maybe Portis a bit more mobile than Brohm so he might get my nod right now, however pretty tough to say when he hasn't seen the field at all.

Marve is a nice change of pace QB, if the other 2 are struggling maybe you change it up for a series or 2 and go with the guy who brings the different element but...

I like the idea of having 2 QB's who are similar and one who is not (the developing qb normally) 

for me....

MUST SIGN:
CB Matt Bucknor - good surprise for us this year plus an NI starter
DT Zach Anderson
LB Johnny Sears
LB Ian Wild
DB Demond Washington - I'm expecting him to test freeagency though
OL Glenn January or OL Devin Tyler - plan B as TBurg said, Tyler is a cheaper though

DONT CARE:
QB Brian Brohm - can bring to TC to compete with Marve, loser goes home
QB Josh Portis - not sure of him but if we have a better neg lister coming in then he goes
DB Desia Dunn - I liked his play in SAM 2yrs ago not so much in WIL, If Sears resigns he can go
RB Carl Volny - not very productive, but I question our past OCs how is he being used, we can do better though

NEED TO GO:  
WR Aaron Kelly - not that good
WR Romby Bryant - washed out
LB Rene Stephan - injury prone
OL Gord Hinse - we can do better
LB Mike Cornell - we can do better

Curious on your reasoning for not wanting Brohm back.  Wouldn't it make sense to have your QBs play a similar style in terms of developing plays / game plans / and prep for how you are going to attack an opponent?  So that when the backup has to come in, they can essentially execute the same game plan that was planned for?

Or do you look at having the different style as a change of pace QB.  A 1a/b type situation where you can throw a guy in for a different look and have a few designed plays for him to execute.

And this isn't meant as a shot against Marve or anything like that.  I really like what I've seen from the guy and do want to see more.  Just curious about your reasoning for dumping Brohm.

I said I don't care if we sign Brohm or not, not that I don't want him back.  I prefer to have a backup QB with a different skill set than the starter.  I think that the #2 guy should get some game reps if the starter isn't playing well.  Think Clements / Huffer if you will.  I don't see any 1a / 1b situation in Willy / Brohm.  Willy's our starter and any backup only comes in if the starter is hurt.  

I'm not a big Brohm fan.  He's better than Hall and Goltz from last year, but I think Marve is too.  I'd be comfortable with Marve at #2 and newguy #541 at #3.

Interesting...sure. Just as interesting as any opinions on this forum though. A lot of opinion...some fact based...some not so much. Nice to get a good idea of who is coming up for FA though so thanks to the blogger for that. Anyone know whose blog that is? Writing and opinion seem familiar.

Interesting...sure. Just as interesting as any opinions on this forum though. A lot of opinion...some fact based...some not so much. Nice to get a good idea of who is coming up for FA though so thanks to the blogger for that. Anyone know whose blog that is? Writing and opinion seem familiar.

Thought so too. Don't agree with a whole lot of what was said, but it was a good read.

Let me just add this.. one of Brohm or Portis needs to be signed too. 

To me, those 2 and Willy are pretty similar, maybe Portis a bit more mobile than Brohm so he might get my nod right now, however pretty tough to say when he hasn't seen the field at all.

Marve is a nice change of pace QB, if the other 2 are struggling maybe you change it up for a series or 2 and go with the guy who brings the different element but...

I like the idea of having 2 QB's who are similar and one who is not (the developing qb normally) 

hmmmmm, really......... 

I thought the standard cfl contract is for a minimum two years.

Under the new CBA the minimum is one year.

The new CBA wasn't signed until well into TC. I doubt that any of our starters are under one year deals.

Can hardly wait for those one year minimum contracts to become the standard so that team continuity can be broken down even further with more players coming and going as they choose.    As a long-time CFL fan this really tries my patience and makes me not want to be a fan so much.  Can't see how a GM can possibly build team unity and develop a winner if the components of the team are always in flux, never-mind sustaining the fans interest through continuity.

To think that after one good season a player like Johnny Sears or Ian Wild can jump to another team or the NFL if they're good enough  completely defeats the purpose of team building and fans identifying with the players imo.   Why bother getting a jersey with a name on the back or memorizing the roster when it will just be a reflection of a fleeting moment in time?  Ironic but it probably is a true reflection of the times with shorter attention spans being encouraged and loyalty to a brand being more important than the players who create the brand.  If you want an indelible image of tying branding to the individual, just think of the statue the Bombers recently erected to honour the man in the W cap and all that it represents. Someday in the great future maybe they'll stoop to honoring a player like Nic Grigsby with a statue for his contribution to the betterment of Bomber football over 85% of one full season!

Some may think this is a better agreement that favours the players but to those players I would say "be careful for what you wish".