Rider billboards

Fraser

I just have a hard time seeing where the payoff is for them.. yeah it's marketing for the other team, but are the Riders really so loaded they're going to do the marketing for other teams now? The cheapskate in me doesn't see the profit in that expense

Go start up a still and brew up some moonshine, live for a few weeks without indoor plumbing or soap, marry your cousin, take some banjo lessons, and it will all start to make sense.

I don't understand the thought process behind these billboards. Do they think the Rider fans living in those cities need a reminder that the team is coming to town? As a Bomber fan living in Calgary I can assure you the first thing I look at on the schedule is when the Bombers are in Alberta. Do they think they'll convert people? I doubt it. Seems like they're simply pissing away money in an attempt to what? pat themselves on the back? Antagonize another fanbase? How does this investment pay off for them?

I don't mind it actually. I think it's a good "FU" to the fans in the city they are playing, and if they don't like it, they can put down some dough and come to the game to boo the Riders. I'm just glad that it's the Riders doing this, and not the Bombers, as it's pretty arrogant. The only thing is that this billboard strategy would probably back-fire in Toronto as the people of Toronto would say "Green is the new Double Blue? The Blue Jays are playing the Oakland A's this week?"

I just have a hard time seeing where the payoff is for them.. yeah it's marketing for the other team, but are the Riders really so loaded they're going to do the marketing for other teams now? The cheapskate in me doesn't see the profit in that expense

You forget the province we're talking about.  This is the same province that proposed the World Junior hockey team wear green because they really are just that disillusioned by the appeal of their club.

canadaingreen.jpg

I just get tired of Rider players like Ford taking offense to something a dumb BC Lions President said & being "disrespected" yet the Riders deliberately put these billboards up in every western city they play. Well Glen Skulsky just cost the Lions a reported $2 million dollars. 

Doubt it costs them a penny as BC Place has expanses of empty seats every game.  All it means is that every season ticket holder gets to bring a buddy with him to one of the four remaining home games and the walk-up crowd gets to fill an empty seat in another game.  Increases local exposure to the product and generates more peripheral revenue so it's a win even when they lose.

I just get tired of Rider players like Ford taking offense to something a dumb BC Lions President said & being "disrespected" yet the Riders deliberately put these billboards up in every western city they play. Well Glen Skulsky just cost the Lions a reported $2 million dollars. 

Doubt it costs them a penny as BC Place has expanses of empty seats every game.  All it means is that every season ticket holder gets to bring a buddy with him to one of the four remaining home games and the walk-up crowd gets to fill an empty seat in another game.  Increases local exposure to the product and generates more peripheral revenue so it's a win even when they lose.

whether it costs them money or not they can chalk it up to marketing expenses. Paper the house a bit and maybe a few of those people keep coming back. It's a way to get asses in the seats and that's the important part for teams.

Not much different than when the Bombers gave away "buddy vouchers" for pre-season games in the season ticket packages.  Gets some butts in the seats that would not have otherwise been there and try to fill a stadium that would have been at half capacity.  And the psychology for many of these people is that since the game is free they won't mind spending more on concessions than they might have otherwise.

Green is the new orange is pretty creative, Green is the new blue is just stupid. 

Nothing creative about the RR organization, that slogan is stolen from a current TV show and every other marketing idea they've had comes second hand from the Packers.

Yeah i know, i've watched both seasons so far... It is creative though regardless. Orange is the new black, Green is the new orange.. It's creative. Don't get the green is the new blue one though at all. 

So apparently the riders have taken to posting billboards around Winnipeg that features what appears to be a post op transsexual modelling a roughriders dress. Apparently they got pretty angry in BC about it.

rider.jpg

Pure genius! They can re-use that one in Toronto! They could do green is the new black for Ottawa AND Hamilton! Wow these guys are on a pure marketing blitzkrieg. I hope they're paying their marketing guys BOATLOADS of cash, cause this is better than NIKE. Look-out Coke!

I don't understand the thought process behind these billboards. Do they think the Rider fans living in those cities need a reminder that the team is coming to town? As a Bomber fan living in Calgary I can assure you the first thing I look at on the schedule is when the Bombers are in Alberta. Do they think they'll convert people? I doubt it. Seems like they're simply pissing away money in an attempt to what? pat themselves on the back? Antagonize another fanbase? How does this investment pay off for them?

I don't mind it actually. I think it's a good "FU" to the fans in the city they are playing, and if they don't like it, they can put down some dough and come to the game to boo the Riders. I'm just glad that it's the Riders doing this, and not the Bombers, as it's pretty arrogant. The only thing is that this billboard strategy would probably back-fire in Toronto as the people of Toronto would say "Green is the new Double Blue? The Blue Jays are playing the Oakland A's this week?"

There is no payoff, that's not the intention. The intention is humour, playful banter. Whether it works is up to the individual. Apparently it didn't work you. No harm no foul. Myself, not that funny, better luck next time.

I liked the idea for "Green is the new Orange", obviously since it plays off the tv show. "Green is the new Blue" is lazy. It doesn't make sense in that it's not witty or funny. They took a good gag and thought they could re-use it, but it doesn't work as well if it's not linked to Orange Is the New Black.

I don't really care either way, but if you're going to have some fun with rivals at least make worth the time of reading the billboard.

I liked the idea for "Green is the new Orange", obviously since it plays off the tv show. "Green is the new Blue" is lazy. It doesn't make sense in that it's not witty or funny. They took a good gag and thought they could re-use it, but it doesn't work as well if it's not linked to Orange Is the New Black.

I don't really care either way, but if you're going to have some fun with rivals at least make worth the time of reading the billboard.

I bet they never expected their BC billboard to garner national attention and they probably had a few of these printed up for every CFL city beforehand.

I thought that too... Lazy reuse of the line used last week... At least put some effort into it..

I bet they never expected their BC billboard to garner national attention and they probably had a few of these printed up for every CFL city beforehand.

They expect everything they do to garner national attention. 

It may come down to the lack of genetic diversity in Saskatchewan leading to colour blindness.

Could they have picked a worse location than Plessis Road?

Couldn't afford route 90 or Portage Ave?

Haha exactly what I was thinking.... I drove by there last week and had to do a double-take... that's the best they could do.... do they realize that's the exact point where people are stepping on the gas to get the hell outta T-cona as quickly as possible!

@da_jetsfan: "@PentonKirk #Riders billboard - "Green is the new Blue" - will not cause anger in #Winnipeg because 97% of Manitobans cannot read. #CFL"

Wow...I love how this guy insults Manitoban's and then comes up with the dumbest comebacks.  Not to mention, it's obvious he screws up understanding the saying "flood of the century".  Obvious troll.

@da_jetsfan: "@PentonKirk #Riders billboard - "Green is the new Blue" - will not cause anger in #Winnipeg because 97% of Manitobans cannot read. #CFL"

sweet burn,

Question, do they actually sell that ugly thing? Or did they just put a Rider logo on something from dress barn.