Random thoughts from last night...

gbill2004

Some random thoughts from last night's game:

I've been a Cordaro Howard supporter up until now, but after last nights game, he's gotta go.  He consistently gets beat by his man...he plays too soft.  And that's a few games now where he has taken costly penalties.  Howard is the weak link of the OL.  Time to give Jarvis Jones another try; he was solid last year.

With Kuale getting injured, I'm excited to see what Abraham Kromah can do.  I suspect he will help improve the non-existent run defense.  Run defense is a concern.

A lot of missed tackles.  I suspect the cause is twofold; 1) short week and guys were simply gassed late in the game, 2) seems guys are trying to punch the ball out to cause a turnover and aren't going for the tackle. 

I was steaming for a while regarding Romby Bryant, but with Moore back next week, after sleeping on it, I'm okay with keeping him.  Not the best game for him last night but he's okay as depth.  Scouting departments needs to be looking for longer term solutions though. 

Run game/blocking looked much better last night but I suspect that had more to do with the level of competition and not so much improvements we've made.  Real test will be when we play the Riders again. 

Very, very impressed with Stoudermire.  Can't believe the Riders let him go.  He looks like he's the next CFL star returner.  Only a matter of time before he breaks one for a TD...hope he does its against the Riders ;)  I hear lots of fans saying cut Woods, but I hope we keep him as depth on the IR or PR.  Woods has a great attitude too. 

Washington had a weak game.  Missed a few tackles and took some stupid penalties. 

I don't understand why Willy stays in the game late when it's over.  He took a few unnecessary hits late in the game.  One serious blow to willy and our season is over.  Poor decision by the coaching staff.  Get Marve or Brohm some meaningful reps and protect your biggest, most important asset. 

I really like JFG, but Watson is that much better.  I do hope JFG gets back into the WR rotation as he deserves to play.  Kolhert making some big plays lately too.  You could make the case of starting 3 Canadian WRs, but who do you bench of Kelly, Moore, Denmark?

Looking at our remaining schedule, I see us finishing the season with 9-10 wins at most (10 if we split the last 2 games versus the Riders).  I'm optimistic, but it will be a battle making it into the playoffs. 

Good news is we should have Moore and Sears back next week and the guys have an extra long week to get healthy and rested.  Hope we don't take the Als lightly, they're slowly heading in the right direction. 

Not getting Messam was a huge mistake, but good experienced Canadian players cost money.  Not a Bomber specialty.  Lotsa empty seats again come Oct/Nov.  Big savings there.

If you are small just go low and grab a leg, let the next guy finish him if he stands and tries to drag you.  Every few games these guys forget how to tackle, coaching anyone?  

No emotion on the sidelines, lack of discipline on the field, happy feet quarterback for games now.  Big problems imo, most everyone is getting better and we are regressing at a rapid rate.

Special teams penalties, mistakes game after game.

First few games I watched a 'team', not sure what I am looking at now.

Could be out of the playoff run right after Banjo Bowl.

I'm a one of the biggest Woods supporter but I agree that Stoudermire is better. No fumbles, have some elusiveness and seems like legitimate threat on big returns.

Not bad for a debut...

... 273 combined yardage (stands top 10 for now after this game)

... kick returns - 154yds - 25.7 yds average

... punt returns - 119yds - 39.7 yds average

What's not too like. With all due respect to Woods, Stodermire is big upgrade there.

NI hope these are next to the list...

... RT - agree that Howard needs to sit (or go), Jones deserve a chance to prove himself. Either on RT or LT (move January on RT).

... RB - I'm out off the Grigsby/Cotton camp, they are not getting the job done.

... Run D - definitely needs a help there. Is it a big of a change moving back Wild on WIL/Dollar and let Kromah or Kuale starts on MAC and Sears or Dunn on SAM/Dime?

... Pass Rush - we're not getting to the QB, we can't let the QB sit comfortable on the pocket.

I'm a one of the biggest Woods supporter but I agree that Stoudermire is better. No fumbles, have some elusiveness and seems like legitimate threat on big returns.

Not bad for a debut...

What's not too like. With all due respect to Woods, Stodermire is big upgrade there.

... RT - agree that Howard needs to sit (or go), Jones deserve a chance to prove himself. Either on RT or LT (move January on RT).

... RB - I'm out off the Grigsby/Cotton camp, they are not getting the job done.

... Run D - definitely needs a help there. Is it a big of a change moving back Wild on WIL/Dollar and let Kromah or Kuale starts on MAC and Sears or Dunn on SAM/Dime?

... Pass Rush - we're not getting to the QB, we can't let the QB sit comfortable on the pocket.

grisby had like a 9 yard average or something....he didn't get it done cause he didn't get the ball.

Some random thoughts from last night's game:

I've been a Cordaro Howard supporter up until now, but after last nights game, he's gotta go.  He consistently gets beat by his man...he plays too soft.  And that's a few games now where he has taken costly penalties.  Howard is the weak link of the OL.  Time to give Jarvis Jones another try; he was solid last year.

Howard plays very soft ... the penalties are starting to pile up. Need to explore another option.

With Kuale getting injured, I'm excited to see what Abraham Kromah can do.  I suspect he will help improve the non-existent run defense.  Run defense is a concern.

Kromah in for Kuale is a move I'm excited to see as well.

A lot of missed tackles.  I suspect the cause is twofold; 1) short week and guys were simply gassed late in the game, 2) seems guys are trying to punch the ball out to cause a turnover and aren't going for the tackle. 

Just looked incredibly gassed last night.

I was steaming for a while regarding Romby Bryant, but with Moore back next week, after sleeping on it, I'm okay with keeping him.  Not the best game for him last night but he's okay as depth.  Scouting departments needs to be looking for longer term solutions though. 

Only part I disagree with you on so far. Romby needs to go. As I said on Twitter last night, can't we find a guy with some actual upside to take stupid penalties and not protect the football? That's stuff that is not ok for a guy on the downside of his career to be doing. Two objectionable conduct penalties (one from the bench) and a fumble in one game when you're being counted on as a reliable veteran presence should cost you your job.

Run game/blocking looked much better last night but I suspect that had more to do with the level of competition and not so much improvements we've made.  Real test will be when we play the Riders again. 

Offensive line has been looking terrible lately. Need them to step it up.

Very, very impressed with Stoudermire.  Can't believe the Riders let him go.  He looks like he's the next CFL star returner.  Only a matter of time before he breaks one for a TD...hope he does its against the Riders ;)  I hear lots of fans saying cut Woods, but I hope we keep him as depth on the IR or PR.  Woods has a great attitude too. 

Don't want to lose Stoudermire or Woods. Love how Stoudermire catches and then accelerates, but the one ball he let hit the turf scared me. He obviously isn't used to fielding punts, need him to work on that before it Demonds us in the ass.

Washington had a weak game.  Missed a few tackles and took some stupid penalties.

The penalty Washington took for taunting was a dumb one, but the other one he got called for (horsecollar) was called on him by mistake, it was actually Dunn that did it. That being said, I agree ... he had a rough game.

I don't understand why Willy stays in the game late when it's over.  He took a few unnecessary hits late in the game.  One serious blow to willy and our season is over.  Poor decision by the coaching staff.  Get Marve or Brohm some meaningful reps and protect your biggest, most important asset. 

Agreed.

I really like JFG, but Watson is that much better.  I do hope JFG gets back into the WR rotation as he deserves to play.  Kolhert making some big plays lately too.  You could make the case of starting 3 Canadian WRs, but who do you bench of Kelly, Moore, Denmark?

I simply rotate all 6 if I'm O'Shea. Not evenly, but enough that they all play.

Looking at our remaining schedule, I see us finishing the season with 9-10 wins at most (10 if we split the last 2 games versus the Riders).  I'm optimistic, but it will be a battle making it into the playoffs. 

I still think we make the playoffs. But we'll have to fight.

Good news is we should have Moore and Sears back next week and the guys have an extra long week to get healthy and rested.  Hope we don't take the Als lightly, they're slowly heading in the right direction. 

We sure as **** need a week to rest.

Good post gbill.

Agreed, Howard needs to go.  I can't believe they're having this hard of a time finding Import Olinemen.

Stoudermire is AWESOME.  He was the only positive in the game last night.

MB's offensive scheme sucks.  I've said it before and I'll keep saying it.  His play calling is atrocious.  Especially when it comes to the run game.

Etch's D has been figured out and our players need to learn to tackle.  He better come up with something new or we're literally going to be run over for the next 11 games.

It's funny with MB and Etch.  One doesn't believe in the running game, and the other refuses to protect against it.

A couple of random thoughts of my own:

The hitch screen to Gill was pretty much automatic for the Argos on first down. 

Watching two offensive linemen go untouched and eat up our MLB (Wild) underscore why we have issues defending the run.

Stoudermire sees the field and reads his blocks well.  Definitely showed he was the freshest Bomber player on the field. 

For as much as I like Washington's energy, he takes way too many dumb penalties.  No place for that kind of selfishness on a winning team.

Our offense was entirely too conservative last night.  Never ceases to amaze me how good we look stretching the field and running a three minute offense .. it's a shame we only go at that tempo when we are down late.

Can't wait to get Moore back into the lineup.

A couple of random thoughts of my own:

The hitch screen to Gill was pretty much automatic for the Argos on first down. 

Watching two offensive linemen go untouched and eat up our MLB (Wild) underscore why we have issues defending the run.

Stoudermire sees the field and reads his blocks well.  Definitely showed he was the freshest Bomber player on the field. 

For as much as I like Washington's energy, he takes way too many dumb penalties.  No place for that kind of selfishness on a winning team.

Our offense was entirely too conservative last night.  Never ceases to amaze me how good we look stretching the field and running a three minute offense .. it's a shame we only go at that tempo when we are down late.

Can't wait to get Moore back into the lineup.

I noticed this as well.  He does this very well.  He didn't even get to full speed last night...just playing very smart and following his blocks.  Can't wait to see him when he breaks one loose and gets up into top gear!

I also would love to hear what people thought about that PI call last night.

They really screwed themselves with that one. The league has really opened the floodgates on PI challenges now.

If the PI that was called last night after Mil through the challenge flag, then it should have been called against Kelly.  I was thinking at the time, and I think others said the same, that OSH should have tossed the challenge flag for that one.  The ref's need to be more consistent.

They really screwed themselves with that one. The league has really opened the floodgates on PI challenges now.

Agreed that was a terrible call.  I love conspiracies, so with that disclaimer, I suspect the league wants the Argos and the East to start winning some games, so I wonder if some of the calls were made with that in mind last night.

Agreed that was a terrible call.  I love conspiracies, so with that disclaimer, I suspect the league wants the Argos and the East to start winning some games, so I wonder if some of the calls were made with that in mind last night.

I said that exact thing in chat last night.  I totally agree with you.

I think the most telling sign was Cuthbert and Suitor himming and haaing around the issue trying to not blatantly say it was the wrong call.... I agree, it's open season on PI reviews now.... especially since we didn't get the call on Kelly earlier in the game (which I thought we shoulda challenged)

If the PI that was called last night after Mil through the challenge flag, then it should have been called against Kelly.  I was thinking at the time, and I think others said the same, that OSH should have tossed the challenge flag for that one.  The ref's need to be more consistent.

I couldn't believe he didn't throw it for that play. From here on out if I'm a hc and there's an incomplete pass downfield with any sort of contact I'm throwing the flag. Might as well.

I think the problem with PI challenges is that they can be thrown on plays where there weren't any flags thrown.  If you give an officiating crew slow-motion and perhaps a slight Toronto bias enough time, you better believe they'll find something that can be construed as PI on MANY deep balls that get thrown.  

I think if they want to clean up this PI challenging mess, they'd only allow a coach to challenge a flag that has been thrown.  It just seems way too bush-league to throw a prayer challenge flag down late in the game just hoping that Toronto can scrounge up enough evidence to call it PI...but I think you'll see that more and more.  

That one didn't bother me as much as the non-calls on pretty blatant holds, quite frustrating.

I couldn't believe he didn't throw it for that play. From here on out if I'm a hc and there's an incomplete pass downfield with any sort of contact I'm throwing the flag. Might as well.

You know this utter non-sense is going to come to an end by next season.  If that's the standard for calling P.I. on that play than it means that a DB has to defend against the pass without touching the receiver at all.  Virtually impossible.

I think the problem with PI challenges is that they can be thrown on plays where there weren't any flags thrown.  If you give an officiating crew slow-motion and perhaps a slight Toronto bias enough time, you better believe they'll find something that can be construed as PI on MANY deep balls that get thrown.  

I think if they want to clean up this PI challenging mess, they'd only allow a coach to challenge a flag that has been thrown.  It just seems way too bush-league to throw a prayer challenge flag down late in the game just hoping that Toronto can scrounge up enough evidence to call it PI...but I think you'll see that more and more.  

If they did that we'd just see even more PI being called by the refs, just so they don't miss anything, with the thinking that they can get it right on review.

Kind of how it looks like that's what they do with plays at the goalline. Just call anything close a TD, because then it's reviewed and they hopefully get it right.

The PI challenge flags are exactly as idiotic as everyone thought they would be. I still can't believe the CFL went ahead with it.

Benchmark by which every subsequent PI review will be measured against.  It was a terrible call.

Not bad for a debut...

The Past 2 games we have been getting held badly and the Refs are missing the calls vs SASK at a key point in the game Brendan Labatte got away with a hold that had me shaking my head he was locked up with his man and saw a player coming free and reached out and grabbed the player around the neck to prevent the pressure coming up the middle. Not sure how he got away with it but it was a great effort ! As for the Toronto Game I didn't watch it that close but it seems that they got away with Many close calls/holds. The way our D is designed we need to be fast to the ball and if the Refs aren't making the calls it really hurts us.