Gavins fined for dirty hit on Drew Willy

Every back will miss a block or two a game, can't see everbody every time.

The not-good thing about Grigsby on that play was that it sure looked like Grigsby didn't even try, and that could have put Willy right out of the game. Grigsby gave the rusher a complete free shot- hope it doesn't happen too often.

If you watch that play again it looks like Grigsby is focused on the inside rusher which was probably his designated block.  It was a matter of choosing between two pass rushers and unfortunately Grigsby chose the wrong one.

IIRC, the blocking back is instructed to take the inside man if there are two rushers who break in, so that may be where the confusion came from.

But the very reason that  Grigsby is being vilified is the fact that he made an incorrect decision, and it could have cost us a serious hit and injury on our QB, and that almost happened.

Grigsby, I'm sure, has been made aware of this fact in film review.

Oh to be a fly on the wall for that film session..

on the low hit Grigsby did his job..stepped up and sealed inside guy.

I re-watched the game and and he maybe whiffed completely on one block. Another he was pretty much bull rushed into q.b for the sack/hit..I think with getting his game legs back this will get better.

Mainly from what I see...and is a trait of MB's offence for most part is the r.b is to engage...slow up the rusher then release and become a option to check down or drop ball off to if the Q.B deems there is nothing to get ball to after his reads...or he is under pressure. It seems that he could engage just a we bit longer to help with pressure a bit more...only fault i see in his game so far

Doug Brown played and was a player rep for years, I think he knows this better than we do.

Doug Brown was a magnificent football player.  I have found that I agree with about half of what he says since becoming a journalist.  In other words, I disagree with about half of what he says.  And he's not always right.

This would make the CFL the first league I've ever heard of where a suspended player gets paid.

Mainly from what I see...and is a trait of MB's offence for most part is the r.b is to engage...slow up the rusher then release and become a option to check down or drop ball off to if the Q.B deems there is nothing to get ball to after his reads...or he is under pressure. It seems that he could engage just a we bit longer to help with pressure a bit more...only fault i see in his game so far

I'm glad you posted this, b/c it's what I thought as well. You articulated it better than I could have.

Doug Brown played and was a player rep for years, I think he knows this better than we do.

Doug Brown was a magnificent football player.  I have found that I agree with about half of what he says since becoming a journalist.  In other words, I disagree with about half of what he says.  And he's not always right.

This would make the CFL the first league I've ever heard of where a suspended player gets paid.

I didn't say Doug Brown said players get paid when suspended for discipline - I was guessing at that based on his comment. But when he says a fine is more effective at making the point then I think he knows better than we do on that matter.

I didn't say Doug Brown said players get paid when suspended for discipline - I was guessing at that based on his comment. But when he says a fine is more effective at making the point then I think he knows better than we do on that matter.

So basically you don't know but are going to argue about it anyways?

Garrett (i'm guessing that gbill) called in to the coaches show yesterday and asked about grigsby and his blocking. I can't remember exactly what o'shea said but.. it was along the lines of, unless you are in the huddle and know what type of protection they are running on that given play, then really, you don't know. It's not exactly what he said, it was more in depth but.. basically in a nutshell, unless we are in the huddle, we really don't have a clue. 

So basically you don't know but are going to argue about it anyways?

What?? I clarified what I meant in my post and said Doug Brown, who actually played and was a player rep, would know better than fans and you consider that arguing?!  :huh:

Garrett (i'm guessing that gbill) called in to the coaches show yesterday and asked about grigsby and his blocking. I can't remember exactly what o'shea said but.. it was along the lines of, unless you are in the huddle and know what type of protection they are running on that given play, then really, you don't know. It's not exactly what he said, it was more in depth but.. basically in a nutshell, unless we are in the huddle, we really don't have a clue.

Yep that was me :). O'Shea really defended Grigsby and his pass protection.

Uh-huh.

Sounds like he's giving his opinion.  My opinion is contrary to his.

Not all of his opinions regarding football are gold or gospel.  Some of them are even a bit dumb.

Being an exceptional player does not make his opinion an absolute truth.

on the low hit Grigsby did his job..stepped up and sealed inside guy.

Grigsby did step up to block and help seal the block, that part is correct, (there was a blocker engaged already) but, as to his actual assignment, that is another matter.

He could have been responsible for hanging back to engage a delayed rush or as a release, either way he did not engage the outside man.

If I had to guess, I'd say that was his man.

Uh-huh.

Sounds like he's giving his opinion.  My opinion is contrary to his.

Not all of his opinions regarding football are gold or gospel.  Some of them are even a bit dumb.

Being an exceptional player does not make his opinion an absolute truth.

I agree. There have been a number of times where his opinion has left me shaking my head. However, in the case, I think a former player/player rep has more insight into how players feel about fines/suspensions than fans do. 

is a team-imposed suspension different than a league-imposed suspension, though? Need to find out why Brown figures fines are better than suspensions. Maybe "max fine" is more money than a game cheque?

Maybe this has to do with the fact that fines are way more likely to be held up and not appealed the way suspensions are. When was the last time we saw someone get suspended, appeal, and not have the suspension be overturned? Khalif Mitchell? I honestly can't remember the last player to be suspended for something that happened between the whistles.

EDIT: Never mind. Sears. Still, I stand by my theory.

Maybe this has to do with the fact that fines are way more likely to be held up and not appealed the way suspensions are. When was the last time we saw someone get suspended, appeal, and not have the suspension be overturned? Khalif Mitchell? I honestly can't remember the last player to be suspended for something that happened between the whistles.

EDIT: Never mind. Sears. Still, I stand by my theory.

That could be what DB meant. And with Sears he didn't appeal his suspension. Mitchell's was upheld but I'd be hard pressed to come up with another example.

The players can appeal fines using the same process used to appeal suspensions, third party arbitration.

Just not as blatantly obvious as when you have a "suspended" player who plays 1 or 2 games during the arbitration process, falls off the media radar.

The 2010 CBA says nothing about being able to appeal a fine - just the procedure for appealing a suspension. I don't think that's changed but I'm not certain.

From a Free Press article on Johnny Sears 2011 suspension:

Sears will also lose one-game's pay.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/sears-takes-hit-from-cfl-133058303.html

Nice find. Doug Brown is very very confused.

No he isn't (at least not on this point) - I was. DB didn't say anything about a suspension being with pay - that was strictly me trying to figure out (incorrectly) how a fine could be worse than a suspension. I think Onyenegecha's suggestion about suspensions being overturned may be why DB said a fine worked better.

The players can appeal fines using the same process used to appeal suspensions, third party arbitration.

Just not as blatantly obvious as when you have a "suspended" player who plays 1 or 2 games during the arbitration process, falls off the media radar.

The 2010 CBA says nothing about being able to appeal a fine - just the procedure for appealing a suspension. I don't think that's changed but I'm not certain.

Doesn't say a lot of things in the CBA or league by-laws that are league convention, such as the maximum fine being half a game cheque.  Doesn't say anything about third party arbitration for suspensions or fines either, just that a player can appeal the penalty back to the commissioner and the commissioner has the power to remit any penalty.  Traditionally, the appeals have gone to a 3rd party.  The league has tried to move away from this the last 2 CBA negotiations, but haven't been able to get the players to agree to any alternative to this point.