Gavins fined for dirty hit on Drew Willy

I know one thing. If another player goes after Willy similar to what Gavins did the opposing QB may as well pack up his bag and leave town.

O'Shea will fight fire with fire.

Mopes like Burke and Plop feared retribution. I don't think O'Shea is in that category.

You wanna meddle with my money-man - I make yours go POOF....

The players can appeal fines using the same process used to appeal suspensions, third party arbitration.

Just not as blatantly obvious as when you have a "suspended" player who plays 1 or 2 games during the arbitration process, falls off the media radar.

The 2010 CBA says nothing about being able to appeal a fine - just the procedure for appealing a suspension. I don't think that's changed but I'm not certain.

Doesn't say a lot of things in the CBA or league by-laws that are league convention, such as the maximum fine being half a game cheque.  Doesn't say anything about third party arbitration for suspensions or fines either, just that a player can appeal the penalty back to the commissioner and the commissioner has the power to remit any penalty.  Traditionally, the appeals have gone to a 3rd party.  The league has tried to move away from this the last 2 CBA negotiations, but haven't been able to get the players to agree to any alternative to this point.

I stand corrected about the appeal of fines.

Section 21.06 Dispute of Fine by Player 
In the event that a Player disputes the reason for the imposition of the fine or the amount of the fine imposed, the Player may submit such dispute to arbitration in accordance with the arbitration system contained in this Agreement. In the event that an Arbitrator determines that a Player is entitled to be reimbursed fine monies or any part thereof, the C.F.L.P.A. shall reimburse the Club the amount of the fine monies or any part thereof awarded to the Player and the Member Club shall, upon receipt, reimburse the Player. 

There is a large section on third party arbitration in Article 4.

From the 2010 CBA:

Section 21.04 Maximum Fine 
The maximum fine that any Player can be assessed for breach of any published rule or regulation of a Member Club that has been provided to a Player and that is reasonable, or for the breach of any term or condition of the Standard Player Contract in existence between the Player and the Member Club, shall be a sum equal to one half (1/2) of the amount a Player would earn for one (1) regular season game from all Contracts between the Player and the Member Club in that year.

I know one thing. If another player goes after Willy similar to what Gavins did the opposing QB may as well pack up his bag and leave town.

O'Shea will fight fire with fire.

Mopes like Burke and Plop feared retribution. I don't think O'Shea is in that category.

You wanna meddle with my money-man - I make yours go POOF....

I know I am going to regret this but....what the hell are you saying? That O'Shea would order a player to go out and intentionally injure the QB of the other team? Seriously?

is a team-imposed suspension different than a league-imposed suspension, though? Need to find out why Brown figures fines are better than suspensions. Maybe "max fine" is more money than a game cheque?

Doug Brown is deep in his bones 100% a union man.

Any suspendable incident (in any league), the union will always represent the player in trouble.  The will say nothing about the player who was injured.  If they represent both players, and presumably want to protect the players they represent, why is that?

As with most things in life, the answer is simple - follow the money.  Money money money.

The injured player will still get paid.  The suspended player will not.  Money money money.  It's all that matters in the end.

So am I saying that Doug Brown would knowingly say something he does not really believe simply because he's a union man and this is union policy?

These are dots.  Connect them any way you choose.

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2014/7/9/5882779/white-north-wednesday-buffalo-bulls-in-the-cfl

You can throw the sink at Drew and he does not lose his composure... Still I hope he is not as beat up against Montreal..

Willy is having arguably the best season of any CFL quarterback, he is certainly playing at a far higher level than one might expect from a journeyman backup in the NFL, UFL, and for last seasons Roughriders.

This season Drew is second in the CFL in Passing yard and touchdowns thrown among all quarterbacks. He is also second in rating and third in completion percentage among pivots who have thrown the ball more than 25 times.

Name Team Comp Att % Yards Long TD % Ints % Rating Ray, R TOR 56 75 74.7 690 49 5 6.7 0 0.0 124.9 Willy, D WPG 40 60 66.7 615 51 4 6.7 2 3.3 108.7 Reilly, M EDM 51 75 68.0 482 42 4 5.3 2 2.7 92.2 Durant, D SSK 32 51 62.7 431 59 4 7.8 3 5.9 91.2 Glenn, K BC 31 53 58.5 410 55 2 3.8 6 11.3 48.5

Ottawa tried to rattle Willy in their last meeting and although his touchdown output was down from the opening week he still threw for 300+ yards and played clutch under pressure. The RedBlacks aggressiveness bordered on cheap in the last game. The league fined defensive back Jeremy Gavins for a cheap shot delivered on Drew.

The Gavins hit, although the cheapest, was not the hit that had Blue Bomber fans worried. That hit came when Willy's throwing hand struck an oncoming Ottawa defensive lineman. For a few series after that hit Willy last the zip in his passes and could be seen wincing in pain. The staff "medicated" him and his play improved enough for him  to lead Ottawa to a win and now he has been cleared to play this week versus Montreal.

The Winnipeg press are reporting that Drew has looked to be at 100% in practice. With no lingering symptoms from the hand injury Drew Will make the start this week.

Actually Doug Brown was saying that max fines is the best way to send message because its money out of pocket.

a suspension though takes all his money out of his pocket tho.

I don't think Brown ever lost his attachment to the CFLPA. He says the maximum fine is the best way to send a message. A one game suspension is a better way. Who makes less than $750 a game?

Willy is having arguably the best season of any CFL quarterback, he is certainly playing at a far higher level than one might expect from a journeyman backup in the NFL, UFL, and for last seasons Roughriders.

This season Drew is second in the CFL in Passing yard and touchdowns thrown among all quarterbacks. He is also second in rating and third in completion percentage among pivots who have thrown the ball more than 25 times.

Name Team Comp Att % Yards Long TD % Ints % Rating Ray, R TOR 56 75 74.7 690 49 5 6.7 0 0.0 124.9 Willy, D WPG 40 60 66.7 615 51 4 6.7 2 3.3 108.7 Reilly, M EDM 51 75 68.0 482 42 4 5.3 2 2.7 92.2 Durant, D SSK 32 51 62.7 431 59 4 7.8 3 5.9 91.2 Glenn, K BC 31 53 58.5 410 55 2 3.8 6 11.3 48.5

Now I am as pleased with the start as anyone but we would all do well to keep in mind that this is the CFL and the first 2 weeks of the season can often be an extension of preseason, that is they don't always mean a whole lot in terms of how teams and players seasons will go.

yeah it was 0-5. Fricken Lapo and his ultra conservative approach in the GC game, that's loser coaching. Glad we got a coach with some balls now who plays to win.

I still blame Buck.  "The world was his oyster" and he did nothing to win that game.  That's when it first dawned on me that he didn't have the mental abilities to be a winning QB.

yeah it was 0-5. Fricken Lapo and his ultra conservative approach in the GC game, that's loser coaching. Glad we got a coach with some balls now who plays to win.

I still blame Buck.  "The world was his oyster" and he did nothing to win that game.  That's when it first dawned on me that he didn't have the mental abilities to be a winning QB.

Did he do nothing to win or did the offense play so passively because of the coaching? Seems to me that once the game started to get out of reach the offense opened up a bit and made some plays. That year though seemed that Lapo was quite happy to play stupidly conservative and hope that the defense would make enough big plays to win. 

Did he do nothing to win or did the offense play so passively because of the coaching? Seems to me that once the game started to get out of reach the offense opened up a bit and made some plays. That year though seemed that Lapo was quite happy to play stupidly conservative and hope that the defense would make enough big plays to win. 

Buck did very close to nothing in that game but LaPo. deserves some of that blame to be sure.  Bombers first TD occurred wth 4 minutes left in the game, if it wasn't for garbage time points the final score would have been 34-9.  In retrospect Buck's futility in that game looks very similar to the futility he brought to the field in 2012 and 2013.  The writing was on the wall.

For those who like to burn their flesh with cigarettes.....enjoy. 

Speaking of Lapo on television, I wish they'd just put him on the panel & discuss the topics at hand instead of having a coaches insight.. I think his 3 or 4 minute time slot takes away from the discussion that I enjoy at halftime. 

How do you think the Bombers felt about Lapo's 3 or 4 minute half-time speeches…..