Burke

Good players make good coaches great. Bad players get good coaches fired.

There is no evidence to support that statement. 

Mike Shanahan. Won a bunch of games & two Super Bowls with great players. Then he gets saddled with a terrible Redskins team with an injured starting qb and he looks like a bum.

He won a bunch of games with pretty average teams in Denver too, unless you really like Brian Griese, Steve Beuerlein and Jake Plummer.

He was also at the forefront of reinventing the run game in modern football with zone blocking, which you see everywhere now, including on our team.

Good players make good coaches great. Bad players get good coaches fired.

There is no evidence to support that statement. 

Mike Shanahan. Won a bunch of games & two Super Bowls with great players. Then he gets saddled with a terrible Redskins team with an injured starting qb and he looks like a bum.

He won a bunch of games with pretty average teams in Denver too, unless you really like Brian Griese, Steve Beuerlein and Jake Plummer.

He was also at the forefront of reinventing the run game in modern football with zone blocking, which you see everywhere now, including on our team.

They had solid teams around those average qbs. Regardless, we agree that he is a good coach. This is why I used his time with the Redskins to show what terrible players can do to a good coach.

edit: For those who might interpret this as me comparing Burke to Shanahan, I assure you I'm not.

Burke was absolutely one of the worst head coaches in CFL history.

I'm chuckling over here.  No.  He proved that he doesn't have the tools to be a head coach in this league, not even close, but for him to crack that top echelon of Bart Andrus awfulness?  No, he just wasn't that interesting.  His time as head coach will be a footnote in Bomber history.  The truly awful ones get their own chapters.

A head coach with zero positive attributes.  Yep, Burke is one of the worst ever, the only one in his league in Bomber history is Reinebold, and even though his teams sucked his players would have tried to run through a brick wall if that was the play call, so he had some positive attributes.

The only head coach I can remember in my time who was worse than Burke is John Huard.  I'd but Burke at par with Andrus, Paopao and the American Greg Marshall as head coaches as the next tier of garbage head coaches after Huard.

We'll see if Chris Jones joins that crew.

A head coach with zero positive attributes.  Yep, Burke is one of the worst ever, the only one in his league in Bomber history is Reinebold, and even though his teams sucked his players would have tried to run through a brick wall if that was the play call, so he had some positive attributes.

The only head coach I can remember in my time who was worse than Burke is John Huard.  I'd but Burke at par with Andrus, Paopao and the American Greg Marshall as head coaches as the next tier of garbage head coaches after Huard.

I wasn't born yet so I didn't witness it personally, but some of the older guys here don't have much good to say about Bomber coach Joe Zaleski either. I don't know how he ranks but his record was basically one giant suck-fest too back in 1967-1969 with the Bombers, compiling a record of 10–37–1 over three years. That's pretty brutal.

I'm chuckling over here.  No.  He proved that he doesn't have the tools to be a head coach in this league, not even close, but for him to crack that top echelon of Bart Andrus awfulness?  No, he just wasn't that interesting.  His time as head coach will be a footnote in Bomber history.  The truly awful ones get their own chapters.

I suspect it was on a few occasions.

If so, Both mack and burke should have been sent to the glue factory a long time ago. 

You know, At least Mack had a pretty cool name.. say what you will.. JOE MACK.. JOE F'N MACK

Tim Burke, bland and boring and just UGGGGG, could see why he sucked as coach though, didn't want to be one in the first place. 

Guess Joe FN Mack put a gun to his head

Burke IS the worst. Followed by clueless Joe Zaleski & Reinebold. The Top 3 Worst Bomber Coaches of all time. 

I'm chuckling over here. No. He proved that he doesn't have the tools to be a head coach in this league, not even close, but for him to crack that top echelon of Bart Andrus awfulness? No, he just wasn't that interesting. His time as head coach will be a footnote in Bomber history. The truly awful ones get their own chapters.

A head coach with zero positive attributes. Yep, Burke is one of the worst ever, the only one in his league in Bomber history is Reinebold, and even though his teams sucked his players would have tried to run through a brick wall if that was the play call, so he had some positive attributes.

The only head coach I can remember in my time who was worse than Burke is John Huard. I'd but Burke at par with Andrus, Paopao and the American Greg Marshall as head coaches as the next tier of garbage head coaches after Huard.

Burke IS the worst. Followed by clueless Joe Zaleski & Reinebold. The Top 3 Worst Bomber Coaches of all time.

Kelly was worse than Reinbold.

If so, Both mack and burke should have been sent to the glue factory a long time ago. 

You know, At least Mack had a pretty cool name.. say what you will.. JOE MACK.. JOE F'N MACK

Tim Burke, bland and boring and just UGGGGG, could see why he sucked as coach though, didn't want to be one in the first place. 

Guess Joe FN Mack put a gun to his head

What could have Mack threatened Burke with.....firing at the end of the season? Public humiliation along with the players? Damage to Burke's reputation?

Jim Daley doesn't get a mention in there?

Daley's an Epstein ;) compared to those others.

Daley's an Epstein ;) compared to those others.

jeeze I'd have a hard time picking between Daley and Reinbold for worst, I might lean towards Daley just because he had a lot of the Burke defeatist in him... plus that whole nonsense about not liking the way the D-coordinator was running the D and thinking he could do it better himself leading to record setting bad defence... 

I was a young fan through the Zaleski years. They were bad, I mean,  real, real bad. But the most inept offense I ever saw was last year's. And that's saying something. No real sustained running attack, no dominant receivers, the offensive line in tatters & especially no qbs. Zaleski at least tried to look & act like a head coach, not like someone on the verge of tears like Burke was every game.  And Joe always took the blame. That's why I put Burke at the bottom, followed by Zaleski & then Reinebold. 

I think declaring a single individual as having the sole responsibility for a poor season is an over simplification. There are a multitude of factors that can contribute to a losing season. But people here seem to love to play the blame game. To what end ?

I think declaring a single individual as having the sole responsibility for a poor season is an over simplification. There are a multitude of factors that can contribute to a losing season. But people here seem to love to play the blame game. To what end ?

Well, when a ship goes down the captain goes with it? You can't fire 46 football players but you can the head coach? Any more cliches I can give you? Joe Mack is to blame here. But he was gone before Burke. 

Nobody is saying Burke was the sole reason for a poor season. Can't you read? To try and make it simple for you...he refuses to accept any responsibility for his part in the poor season! Get it now?

and nobody is denying that anywhere......but the point is that Burke didn't need to publicly **** on the whole thing. It's completely unnecessary...

If Burke is as skilled an orator in the locker room as he is in front of the media, then head coaching is not his calling.

The point of which is that he seldom has given an interview where he hasn't sounded like he's muddling thru it.

Putting Tim-speak into English, what I take away from that interview was he knew it wasn't a great situation to be in but went ahead with it anyways.

What upsets me most about 2013 isn't Burke or his coaching style, it's that everything about that season was a repeat of the mistake we made with Jim Daley.  Repeating such an obvious stupid mistake.  Giving the interim guy a job because he put up an almost .500 finish to the season.  Stupid.  Include him in the next coaching search if you want, but do the stinking due diligence when it's a position that important.  They just looked at their notes from 2010 and said "Whelp, he came in second to the guy we just fired, therefore he must now be first.  Right?  Duoy!11!"

You don't remember any of the pre-game speeches they showed on TSN? Maybe you slept through them.