QB - Could Hall get cut?

Brandon

Hall prolly sticks around for the same reason Mike Renaud does. Politics.

Bomber management love Renaud (for some reason) and the same appears to go for Hall (unless his game completely comes apart)

And considering this is the first cutdown day for this management group, this would all be based on .... ?

Hall prolly sticks around for the same reason Mike Renaud does. Politics.

Bomber management love Renaud (for some reason) and the same appears to go for Hall (unless his game completely comes apart)

And considering this is the first cutdown day for this management group, this would all be based on .... ?

The messages that get through his tinfoil hat? :)

Hall hasn't been given the same chance as Brohm who the coaches seem to really like.

How? They've both been given more or less the same opportunity.

Mike, how many series has Hall got the last 2 games compared to  Brohm? Not anything close last night. 

Hall hasn't been given the same chance as Brohm who the coaches seem to really like.

How? They've both been given more or less the same opportunity.

Mike, how many series has Hall got the last 2 games compared to  Brohm? Not anything close last night. 

They had 1.5 series each last night. Brohm took them in for the td. On his 2nd series they had to punt. When the Stamps took a too many men penalty, Hall came out & finished the series. Hall then got one more where he threw the pick.

Having to leave the field to punt or b/c of a turnover is your own fault, not the coach's.

The way hall exited the game was telling i think. You don't normally want to take a guy out after an interception in pre-season, especially if it's goning be his last reps of the pre-season.  The last impression of Max Hall is throwing a bad pass for an interception. That's not good. I feel Hall was just the best of a bad group of QB's last season, Brohm scored a TD. Hall threw a pick. Both didn't look so good last week But hall has had 1/2 season or more with MB as his OC, Brohm has not. Hall hasn't got better. Still the same old Max Hall.

I think it's likely Hall is cut, I'm just not sure if it's going to be now (tomorrow) or closer to the start of the season.

I don't think any QB is cut.  One of them will be stashed away on IR.

I agree with this.

Still too much to learn on the new guys, Brohm and Marve.

All's i know is this group is oodles better than the QBacking crew we had around last year.

we say that every year. there's still a lot to be proven before we get too excited. I think the big difference is that this year they'll be getting better coaching which should make everyone look better.

If Hall is smart he should start learning about offensive systems and being a QB coach. Sorta doing a Dinwiddie. He doesn't have the talent, arm or overall talent to be an effective starter. But I like his spirit and personality. 

Ummm he was. Don't you recall how we got him? He retired from football and was coaching, wanted an OC job in some lower level college in California, didn't get it, and the immortal Joe Mack figured this bum would be the guy to 'save the bombers' since Buchko's mandate was for Mack to get a QB. I wanted Mack fired last March when all this went down (cutting two guys with experience, signing two bums to replace them, and keeping Buck even though he was two years past his best before date)

I'd like to have seen more of Marve, but I understand that the Bombers needed to see the most reps out of our starter and the backups.  Brohm out played Hall this week.  Hall outplayed  Brohm last week.  I'll bet both are kept on the roster and Marve will be offered PR or 2 man reserve.

Agree, and I think that was the plan all along. Though Hall is on shaky ground. I think what will happen, as what always does, is as QB's are either released from the their CFL camps or from their NFL Camps, the bombers will airlift a few in, and when one impresses, they'll have to make room for him, exit stage left for Mr. Hall. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If Hall is smart he should start learning about offensive systems and being a QB coach. Sorta doing a Dinwiddie. He doesn't have the talent, arm or overall talent to be an effective starter. But I like his spirit and personality. 

Ummm he was. Don't you recall how we got him? He retired from football and was coaching, wanted an OC job in some lower level college in California, didn't get it, and the immortal Joe Mack figured this bum would be the guy to 'save the bombers' since Buchko's mandate was for Mack to get a QB. I wanted Mack fired last March when all this went down (cutting two guys with experience, signing two bums to replace them, and keeping Buck even though he was two years past his best before date)

I'd like to have seen more of Marve, but I understand that the Bombers needed to see the most reps out of our starter and the backups.  Brohm out played Hall this week.  Hall outplayed  Brohm last week.  I'll bet both are kept on the roster and Marve will be offered PR or 2 man reserve.

Agree, and I think that was the plan all along. Though Hall is on shaky ground. I think what will happen, as what always does, is as QB's are either released from the their CFL camps or from their NFL Camps, the bombers will airlift a few in, and when one impresses, they'll have to make room for him, exit stage left for Mr. Hall. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Considering Hall has been a class act the entire time he has been with the Shrine Circus.... errr... the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as well as doing everything asked of him, I don't understand your hate for the guy. Did he do a Diva routine at any time like Justin Goltz? Has he ever mouthed off to the media about Drew Willy being given the starting spot? No, the guy has been a professional the entire time he has been here. And just what we ******* well need, a revolving door at the ******* qb position. Again???? Every ******* year it's the same godamn thing. 

I agree with this.

All's i know is this group is oodles better than the QBacking crew we had around last year.

we say that every year. there's still a lot to be proven before we get too excited. I think the big difference is that this year they'll be getting better coaching which should make everyone look better.

No, I'm not getting excited….just stating a fact.

I agree with this.

No, I'm not getting excited….just stating a fact.

A highly subjective fact... The gong show that was our coaching staff last year made a hell of a lot of players look a hell of a lot worse than they were. Every preseason we get amped up about the qbs preseason performances, I need to see it translate into the regular season before making sweeping statements about the quality from one year to the next. 

Considering Hall has been a class act the entire time he has been with the Shrine Circus.... errr... the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as well as doing everything asked of him, I don't understand your hate for the guy. Did he do a Diva routine at any time like Justin Goltz? Has he ever mouthed off to the media about Drew Willy being given the starting spot? No, the guy has been a professional the entire time he has been here. And just what we ******* well need, a revolving door at the ******* qb position. Again???? Every ******* year it's the same godamn thing. 

Iso - you like 'losers'? What's Hall's record. I have nothing against him personally, but then again I don't really invite him or other bombers over to my house. Willy should have been here LAST year. We needed a QB and who we got was Max Hall. I'm just stating facts sir, that's all. And getting rid of Hall is not exactly a 'revolving door' when he's third string so I fail to understand your point here?

Iso - you like 'losers'? What's Hall's record. I have nothing against him personally, but then again I don't really invite him or other bombers over to my house. Willy should have been here LAST year. We needed a QB and who we got was Max Hall. I'm just stating facts sir, that's all. And getting rid of Hall is not exactly a 'revolving door' when he's third string so I fail to understand your point here?

I don't understand your point, what has Max Hall done to piss you off? Look at the talent around him. How can you make chicken salad out of chicken feathers? The guy virtually has no OL blocking in front of him, receivers that drop the ball & a questionable run game. You actually think bringing in new qbs during the season is going to make us better? Having no veteran backup to Willy except some yokel from Nowhere State University in Arkansas is not going to win us games or make us competitive if Willy goes down & Hall's not here. I'm not saying Hall is the answer but he's a helluva lot better option than some young qb who never heard of the Canada, the CFL, our rules or Winnipeg a month earlier.

I don't understand your point, what has Max Hall done to piss you off? Look at the talent around him. How can you make chicken salad out of chicken feathers? The guy virtually has no OL blocking in front of him, receivers that drop the ball & a questionable run game. You actually think bringing in new qbs during the season is going to make us better? Having no veteran backup to Willy except some yokel from Nowhere State University in Arkansas is not going to win us games or make us competitive if Willy goes down & Hall's not here. I'm not saying Hall is the answer but he's a helluva lot better option than some young qb who never heard of the Canada, the CFL, our rules or Winnipeg a month earlier.

I have no animosity towards Hall. He's a player, that's it. I have no animosity towards Justin Goltz either. I do, however have a bone to pick with management, who, when given a mandate to get a legit #1 QB goes and does what he does and puts us at 1 - 15 - 2 (two being two montreal losses vs us beating them) last year and making our team the laughing stock of the CFL. Granted you are correct in the fact that Hall wasn't exactly surrounded by other high end talent either, and the Oline was well, offensive. But Hall hasn't done anything this pre-season to want me having him here I'm afraid. My opinion. And I already called it btw - we'll be in a dead heat with Ottawa and Montreal for the worst team in the league with Willy at QB (because I think we still have a lot of growing to do) but unlike last year's fiasco I really do think we'll be going in the right direction. I don't see Hall having any future here. None at all. So yes, I'd much rather lose with a young guy who couldn't find Wpg on the map if you stuck a pin in his finger then stuck it to the map, but who has a chance to develop and grow, then a once retired 'veteran' who won't be here very long anyway (as a player) and who's best days are long behind him. But .... maybe that's just me :)

I happen to think that Max Hall can be a very effective backup qb. The guy may not have all the physical tools to be a long term starter but he is smart. I'd want him around as a backup. As to that other stuff you talk about, I won't argue with you on that. Getting rid of Elliott & Brink was mind boggling. 

The way hall exited the game was telling i think. You don't normally want to take a guy out after an interception in pre-season, especially if it's goning be his last reps of the pre-season.  The last impression of Max Hall is throwing a bad pass for an interception. That's not good. I feel Hall was just the best of a bad group of QB's last season, Brohm scored a TD. Hall threw a pick. Both didn't look so good last week But hall has had 1/2 season or more with MB as his OC, Brohm has not. Hall hasn't got better. Still the same old Max Hall.

I think it's likely Hall is cut, I'm just not sure if it's going to be now (tomorrow) or closer to the start of the season.

He left the game after 2 series with about enough time to give Marve 2 series (and after Brohm had 2 series).  The way he left the game wasn't telling, it was numerical.

As for the pick the one thing I took away from it is that whomever was on the edge probably shouldn't get the starting left tackle job.

Then why do you keep insulting him?

We are not in any position to cut any QB...  right now, i would like to see a fifth QB added in the hopes of replacing Hall.

Hall is a 'serviceable' backup in the same way Jyles or McPherson were...  they are bodies that will complete just enough passes not to get cut, but not enough to win.

I have a great deal amount of faith in this coaching staff and Walters....  they definitely make moves that are obvious and I knew it was obvious from pre season game #1 that Hall had zero upside and needed to go.

Fantastic move by the club and my condolences to 17to85 as I know he was a big fan of Max Hall and his hatred for Brohm must be even greater now!  

Max-Hall-Hates-Me---Womens.jpg