QB - Could Hall get cut?

Brandon

I just want a QB that can make plays with his feet. I'm tired of having statues out there that just drop back, hold the ball a second too long, and get murdered. Buck in 2010 when he was healthy was a treat to watch, especially when he'd take off and get us 20 - 30 yards on a run. I could watch that 2010 opening game win over Hamilton over and over again.

Agreed. Occasionally the CFL gets a Calvillo or Kent Austin who are good enough in the pocket to win consistently, but having a QB like Damon Allen or Matt Dunigan who were threats to run opens up so many options and makes the defence wet themselves. Even if the QB chooses to not run, the defence has to respect that option and this makes life so much easier for the receivers and even for the running backs. We've see that Marve can and will run but the big question is his durability. And he seems to be smart enough to not look at the run as his first option.

He wont get cut but to me Hall was one of the big disappointments. He has the most experience then any other quarterback on this roster in the CFL, and is the only QB back from last years 3-15 squad. I expected him to show more poise and get rid of the ball a little quicker. I fully expected him to compete with Willy and have a good showing. Granted there was a few drops, but there was just too much missed opportunities for a guy that's fighting for a starters position. The guy is 29 years old and has bounced around the NFL and CFL. Is his ceiling set at mediocre starter or average back up? Seems like that's a realistic possibility.

He wont get cut but to me Hall was one of the big disappointments. He has the most experience then any other quarterback on this roster in the CFL, and is the only QB back from last years 3-15 squad. I expected him to show more poise and get rid of the ball a little quicker. I fully expected him to compete with Willy and have a good showing. Granted there was a few drops, but there was just too much missed opportunities for a guy that's fighting for a starters position. The guy is 29 years old and has bounced around the NFL and CFL. Is his ceiling set at mediocre starter or average back up? Seems like that's a realistic possibility.

So would we look at Drew Willy differently if Denmark hadn't made that dandy catch with the ball between the defender and himself? Cause Willy had a lot of the same problems Hall had (missed some guys on throws that should have been better) the difference came in mostly in that the receivers helped Willy out more than they did Hall. It wasn't a red letter performance by Hall, but it certainly wasn't as bad as some people are trying to make it seem. 

Hall was awful to compare his performance with Willy is ridiculous. Willy may have had some accuracy issues but at least he moved the ball.

He ran fast, made quick decisions and didn't float the ball.

Hall needs a tonne of time to make plays...he will get crushed this season.

because receivers helped him out more. Seriously what more can Hall do if he hits a receiver and the guy drops it? Or he hits a guy on 2nd down and the guy should be able to stroll for a first down but he's got his head up his ass and runs into the sideline short? You are not looking big picture only at whether the ball was moved or not. 

Hall was awful to compare his performance with Willy is ridiculous. Willy may have had some accuracy issues but at least he moved the ball.

He ran fast, made quick decisions and didn't float the ball.

Hall needs a tonne of time to make plays...he will get crushed this season.

Hall got rid of the ball very decisively, not sure what you saw.

I just want a QB that can make plays with his feet. I'm tired of having statues out there that just drop back, hold the ball a second too long, and get murdered. Buck in 2010 when he was healthy was a treat to watch, especially when he'd take off and get us 20 - 30 yards on a run. I could watch that 2010 opening game win over Hamilton over and over again.

I think that's one of the things that makes Willy so good, potentially.... he's definitely a pocket passer but he has that threat to use his legs when needed... 

Brohm was very good tonight. Hall might want to start getting his resume together.

Brohm was okay. He wasn't great. He was good. But that's not saying much.That was about it. Nice td pass but if he's our starter if Willy goes down then we won't win a single game.

I'd like to have seen more of Marve, but I understand that the Bombers needed to see the most reps out of our starter and the backups.  Brohm out played Hall this week.  Hall outplayed  Brohm last week.  I'll bet both are kept on the roster and Marve will be offered PR or 2 man reserve.

Hall hasn't been given the same chance as Brohm who the coaches seem to really like.

How? They've both been given more or less the same opportunity.

Exactly. It was a fair battle for backup, & I'm pretty sure Brohm has won it.

I do hope we keep Hall though. You can never have too much qb depth & I can't imagine he'll make too much money that we couldn't afford to have him at #3. Keep Marve stashed on one of the injured lists to protect him.

Brohm threw 16 passes, Hall threw 14.

They both had a chance.  I wish we could get a middle ground of the two.  Brohm throws a heavy fastball on short-intermediate routes a lot of times, and Hall throws curveballs (unintentionally) because his lower body and feet are always moving in any direction but towards his target in his throwing motion.  It's weird that Hall was about to be a QB coach and he can't settle his throwing motion down.

Hall is playing not to get hit - he was slightly better before he was continually crushed last year.  His release is almost too fast, one more second would give his receivers a bit better chance for YAC and time for him to get set.

He picks his receiver and makes that throw even into double coverage.  He gets sacked when his first receiver is so covered he can't force the ball in there.

Brohm looked more poised this week - I think we have a better chance of Brohm settling down than Hall picking up his game.

Honestly, do not see any reason other than a pulse for keeping Hall around.  This myth that he has 'CFL experience' is a bit much... he was retired when we found him and has a year of two different OCs.