The TV Thread

On 2023-05-12 at 9:05 PM, GCJenks said:

If you haven’t checked out Line of Duty on Netflix, Slow Horses and The Capture on Apple, you should. I really enjoyed them. 

I liked Slow Horses.

Not sure if Lucky Hank has been mentioned on here yet but I enjoyed that one.

Prime has a couple of good comedies - The Outlaws ( Christopher Walken and and Stephen Merchant) and Loundermilk (Ron Livingston,  Will Sasso and Brian Reagan). Hopefully they eventually come out with more episodes of Loudermilk. 

7 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

If you are a fan of Carrigan and Root then check out Hiking with Kevin Nealon on YouTube. They were both on recently.

I first saw Carrigan on this "Gotham" show on Fox about Jim Gordon and the origins of he and Bruce Wayne. Carrigan was this elite hitman that worked for Cobblepot/Penguin at one point. It was quite jarring to see him play this broadly funny character on Barry....

Want to talk Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Weird that Captain Pike took the first episode off & we see Spock somehow struggling with his emotions over his love & concern for Nurse Chappel. If we stick to ST Canon, if Spock did love Chappell, he never showed it on TOS. At times, he seemed annoyed at her amorous feelings towards him back when the series first aired in 1966. So, why are they trying to change things now?

His logic may have been cold at times but it gave Spock his strength when the chips were down & Kirk leaned on him for advice & to provide him with strength as well. Seeing Spock fighting his emotions & under stress on SNW because he was given command of the Enterprise for only 3 days just seemed weird to me.

Nice to see regular Klingons again rather than the ones we saw on ST: Discovery. The blowback from angry fans that first season was so bad we never saw them again on that series. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-06-14 at 10:05 AM, bigg jay said:

Depending on your TV, you may not even need a box.  Some smart TV's (android based) allow you to download the apps straight to your tv.   That's what I have been doing for a few years now after my last box got bricked.

I will see if I can do that, I have an android TV.

On 2023-06-14 at 1:58 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Smart TVs usually have tutorials to help users maximize features and applications, similar to any other smart device out there these days. I can only speak from my own experience with GoogleTV (Sony Bravia XR A80J) but it ran a setup assistant program from the first power-up, connecting to wi-fi, set-up with the soundbar/subwoofer, and allowing me to sync it with other devices such as my smartphone (Google Pixel 6 Pro), PS5, and Nvidia Shield Pro* connected to the upstairs non-smart TV. The app sharing feature is particularly convenient, IMO. It's also fully customizable to streamline your viewing experience depending on what you watch, organize the apps based on usage/preference, and you can turn off ads completely in the settings.

I'm not sure if LG runs proprietary software but it could be similar to what Samsung does (which I dislike quite a bit). I can connect a USB flash drive and watch downloaded movies/shows on my TV without issue but I was unable to do so on my friend's Samsung smart TV.

* I highly recommend the Nvidia Shield Pro if the proprietary software on your smart TV isn't making the grade (you can even use your regular TV remote to operate it)

I have a Phillips Android TV in Thompson, and an Optoma Laser projector in Winnipeg. Both are android TV. I will have to play a bit. Youtube tutorials here I come.

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I have a Phillips Android TV in Thompson, and an Optoma Laser projector in Winnipeg. Both are android TV. I will have to play a bit. Youtube tutorials here I come.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I will see if I can do that, I have an android TV.

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

There's pretty good wealth of info on Reddit in r/AndroidTV, too.

Or if you are old like me there are some good groups on Facebook too, though they come and go as Facebook try and clamp down. Search "Best Downloader Codes" Or Amazon Firestick and you should find some there too.

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

There's pretty good wealth of info on Reddit in r/AndroidTV, too.

Awesome. like most Canadians in the summer I like to maximize the summer outdoors so not much TV watching so I have until the fall to get myself up to snuff on all of this. Cutting the cord a few years ago was the best thing I have ever done, with the exception of the few years I had the ExpressVu cheat card, but getting some extra options would be nice.

4 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

People can also download the Kodi app to their phone and cast it to their smart TV.  Doing that replaces the need for a box to hook to the TV. 

If you are concerned with data usage another option is downloading Kodi to an old laptop and hook that up to the TV.

I have Kodi on my Xbox,,,,I guess that would work as well? I have never used it and don't know much about it, guess it's time.

On 2023-06-13 at 6:47 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Started watching Silo on Apple. Intrigued so far. It helps that I just came off seeing Dune and it has the same actress.

I know I already recommended it upthread, but Beef on Netflix...watch it.

Started Silo on the weekend.  It's a pretty solid show, but I'm only 4 episodes in.  Visually impressive, with a good cast.  Rashida Jones was incredible in the pilot.

25 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Started Silo on the weekend.  It's a pretty solid show, but I'm only 4 episodes in.  Visually impressive, with a good cast.  Rashida Jones was incredible in the pilot.

Just watched Episode 8 last night by far the best episode of the series and I'll leave it at that

notable racers this season will include pro wrestlers Gail Kim and Gisele Shaw, Canada's Drag Race competitors Jermaine and Justin, and Tyler Smith formerly of the Humboldt Broncos and his girlfriend Kat

and yes I considered bumping the Broncos thread for this news

and here's the Winnipeg representation https://www.ctv.ca/shows/the-amazing-race-canada/meet-ben-anwar-s9e1

Edited by iHeart

20 hours ago, Tracker said:

Ahem.....the correct term is "aboriginals'.

Actually no it's not but it is not as offensive as Indian or Native. By tribe is what we prefer, and as a collective Indigenous is the acceptable vernacular.

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

even as a joke, that is wildly wrong....

Yes, but I actually thought it was funny. Sometimes, we gotta be able to joke around if we are going to really reconcile. Divsion and hate come from being too hard lined imo....but thank you for caring and sticking up for my people.

Edited by GCn20