The TV Thread

16 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Actually no it's not but it is not as offensive as Indian or Native. By tribe is what we prefer, and as a collective Indigenous is the acceptable vernacular.

Yes, but I actually thought it was funny. Sometimes, we gotta be able to joke around if we are going to really reconcile. Divsion and hate come from being too hard lined imo....but thank you for caring and sticking up for my people.

Until Gord Downie started talking about Charlie Wenjack and the Residential School system, I had absolutely no clue I'd been living my life in complete ignorance. Then when the discoveries started happening....that was it. I really made a commitment to learning. Shutting up, listening and learning as much as I can. I have a number of indigenous friends in the Manitoba music world and they are very passionate about sharing their culture and helping idiots like me learn, which I'm trying to do every single day. We can no longer sweep our terrible history under the rug. It all needs to be brought to light. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Until Gord Downie started talking about Charlie Wenjack and the Residential School system, I had absolutely no clue I'd been living my life in complete ignorance. Then when the discoveries started happening....that was it. I really made a commitment to learning. Shutting up, listening and learning as much as I can. I have a number of indigenous friends in the Manitoba music world and they are very passionate about sharing their culture and helping idiots like me learn, which I'm trying to do every single day. We can no longer sweep our terrible history under the rug. It all needs to be brought to light. 

Thank you for taking this journey. Education is the key. Most racism is born out of ignorance and I am proud of my brothers for opening that door for you too.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The word native also refers to where a person was born. As in, being a native of Winnipeg. You mean, that's offensive now? 

To some, yes,

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We cannot heal what we will not acknowledge. I have known those were damaged by the residential school system and those whose experience was benign, but thee second were far fewer. Pretending it never happened is the path to it recurring.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

Never got into this show. I loved the old show. Tom Selleck WAS Thomas Magnum. Jay Hernandez wasn't. In the old series, Higgins protected & managed Robin Masters property. He wasn't a woman. He wasn't a love interest for Magnum. He was his foil. Higgins never liked Magnum at first but over the series he begrudgingly respected him & they became friends. Some of the best scenes in the old series was the interaction between them. 

I tried watching the new series but just couldn't get into it. They would have been better off to have just made another Hawaiian Private Eye series. Selleck wisely stayed away from the new Magnum as he is busy with Blue Bloods. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 6/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you look in a dictionary, the word native has more than one meaning. 

I could find legit uses for many slurs. Context is everything. That being said, native isn't so much a slur as it is just the incorrect term. I am fine being described as a native but I prefer Indigenous, as it is more accurate.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, Tracker said:

To some, yes,

We cannot heal what we will not acknowledge. I have known those were damaged by the residential school system and those whose experience was benign, but thee second were far fewer. Pretending it never happened is the path to it recurring.

It's not enough to recognize it happened. Recognizing it happened and that it was wrong, and created severe damage is the path forward.