The TV Thread

On 2023-07-15 at 5:33 PM, JCon said:

You see ridiculous comments like that and shake your head. I hate when people minimize the work that people do and the skills they have. 

Give your head a shake. No one was minimizing anything. I was just highlighting how well written the show is and how natural the dialogue would come for these actors. I even stated that I appreciate the skill of these actors. I don't know why I'm bothering though, internet bullies seldom care about the truth. Grow up already.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Give your head a shake. No one was minimizing anything. I was just highlighting how well written the show is and how natural the dialogue would come for these actors. God you are a piece of work. You sit around on these threads calling people ridiculous and trying to be an internet bully. Do you think you come off looking good in these exchanges? Juvenile behavior. Just the grossest online behavior.

In your own words "These roles would have come easy to them".  That is minimizing their talents.  If it was so easy for First Nations actors to fill those roles, 3 of the 4 leads wouldn't be Canadian for an Oklahoma-shot series.  It takes real acting talent, great writing, great direction and great editing to make a great show - if any of those elements are missing, it all falls apart.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

In your own words "These roles would have come easy to them".  That is minimizing their talents.  If it was so easy for First Nations actors to fill those roles, 3 of the 4 leads wouldn't be Canadian for an Oklahoma-shot series.  It takes real acting talent, great writing, great direction and great editing to make a great show - if any of those elements are missing, it all falls apart.

No one is arguing that. Just because a role comes easy doesn't mean you don't have to have skills to execute. Some roles are easier than others for people. It was a compliment to the writing, not a knock on the actors. My goodness, you guys like to spin doctor others words.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No one is arguing that. Just because a role comes easy doesn't mean you don't have to have skills to execute. Some roles are easier than others for people. It was a compliment to the writing, not a knock on the actors. My goodness, you guys like to spin doctor others words.

Perhaps you need an editor?  It wasn't that you just said it was easy for them once.  You triple-downed on it.  

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Perhaps you need an editor?  It wasn't that you just said it was easy for them once.  You triple-downed on it.  

Perhaps you need a better understanding of the English language, What I stated was that the actors reportedly had a lot of input into their characters and were able to add and draw from a lot of their experiences and natural dialogue to augment their characters and make performing their roles easier for them. If that equates to diminishing them as actors, I think you are really off base with your interpretation of what I was saying. There is nothing easy about fleshing out a character, relating to it, and bringing your own personal touch to it. There is also nothing easy about a show runner allowing that and it being organic. Having a character being well written and relatable to the actor does make the role easier. Every actor in the world will tell you that those are the roles they covet. Saying the character development and writing makes it easier for the actors is NOT diminishing the acting especially when I added that a lot of that was the actors bringing ideas to the writers for the implementation.  That is certainly NOT diminishing anyone's skill. That's just your bias against anything I have to say coming out to play in how you choose to interpret my words. I was complimenting the writing of the show, not diminishing the actors. They are NOT mutually exclusive. 

“I’ve always been used to being in front of a lot of people and making all of the adults laugh,” recalls Alexis, the comedy’s true breakout. “Like when I was a kid, I remember all my aunties and uncles being like, ‘Oh, you’re gonna be an actress someday.’ They love Willie Jack. They tell me it’s me, like I’m not even acting sometimes. It’s just me being me. The writing and character just came so easy to me."

Paulina Alexis - "Willie Jack" - Rez Dogs

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-07-27 at 8:25 AM, GCn20 said:

Perhaps you need a better understanding of the English language, What I stated was that the actors reportedly had a lot of input into their characters and were able to add and draw from a lot of their experiences and natural dialogue to augment their characters and make performing their roles easier for them. If that equates to diminishing them as actors, I think you are really off base with your interpretation of what I was saying. There is nothing easy about fleshing out a character, relating to it, and bringing your own personal touch to it. There is also nothing easy about a show runner allowing that and it being organic. Having a character being well written and relatable to the actor does make the role easier. Every actor in the world will tell you that those are the roles they covet. Saying the character development and writing makes it easier for the actors is NOT diminishing the acting especially when I added that a lot of that was the actors bringing ideas to the writers for the implementation.  That is certainly NOT diminishing anyone's skill. That's just your bias against anything I have to say coming out to play in how you choose to interpret my words. I was complimenting the writing of the show, not diminishing the actors. They are NOT mutually exclusive. 

“I’ve always been used to being in front of a lot of people and making all of the adults laugh,” recalls Alexis, the comedy’s true breakout. “Like when I was a kid, I remember all my aunties and uncles being like, ‘Oh, you’re gonna be an actress someday.’ They love Willie Jack. They tell me it’s me, like I’m not even acting sometimes. It’s just me being me. The writing and character just came so easy to me."

Paulina Alexis - "Willie Jack" - Rez Dogs

On 2023-07-27 at 7:40 AM, Wideleft said:

Unbelievable, all of you. Quit arguing over something so ridiculous.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47pkfn8ce1kbduvzifox

On 2023-07-28 at 2:30 PM, Noeller said:

this show hasn't been as good as it probably should be, but I think the wife and I will still give Season 3 a run, just to see if they can bring the nose of the plane back up....

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, though I was recovering from a concussion so…

We’ll do season 3 for sure. 

On 2023-07-13 at 8:44 AM, Wideleft said:

I'd like to add The Big Door Prize to the list of great under-rated shows.  Only saw the premiere of Dark Winds with Zahn Mclarnan, but it's also a gooder.  Season 2 starts in August and AMC is rebroadcasting season 1 just prior (6 episodes).

Just finished Season One - way above average and binge-worthy. 

Bonus that's it's set in Navajo country around Monument Valley which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  A definite bucket list destination that's only 2 hours from another bucket list destination - Lower Antelope Canyon.

30k+ Monument Valley Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

7 Best Antelope Canyon Tours (Upper, Lower and X)

On 2023-06-07 at 7:48 PM, iHeart said:

really? fridays come on, the show deserves better than the stupid death slot (I mean I'd rather it not be on the Sunday slot either)

https://twitter.com/City_tv/status/1666151639189962754

so what the hell changed? oh wait curse these strikes! (even I would rather have it on on fridays than choose between this and the masked singer)

Edited by iHeart

On 2023-08-01 at 3:39 PM, bustamente said:

Second season is even better

So I think we're through 7 episodes now (Richie interns at the fancy restaurant), but holy **** episode 6 with all the guest stars. I thought I'd seen the best episode of TV I'd ever seen earlier this year with the Logan's Dead episode of Succession...... I think we have a new winner with The Bear S2 E6...... that was insanity. I was watching at least one person win an Emmy "in real time" last night........ truly incredible. That episode was a clinic....