The TV Thread

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Love that Segel got a nom for Shrinking and Lyonne for Poker Face. Two wildly underrated shows.

I'd like to add The Big Door Prize to the list of great under-rated shows.  Only saw the premiere of Dark Winds with Zahn Mclarnan, but it's also a gooder.  Season 2 starts in August and AMC is rebroadcasting season 1 just prior (6 episodes).

27 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

I'd like to add The Big Door Prize to the list of great under-rated shows.  Only saw the premiere of Dark Winds with Zahn Mclarnan, but it's also a gooder.  Season 2 starts in August and AMC is rebroadcasting season 1 just prior (6 episodes).

Never heard of this show before but it is now going to be must watch TV for me.

On 2023-06-29 at 2:44 PM, iHeart said:

That's too bad. It really showed just how funny and how much indigenous people enjoy a good laugh. You won't find more laughter in a room than sitting around having a few beers with buddies on the res. 

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Never heard of this show before but it is now going to be must watch TV for me.

That's too bad. It really showed just how funny and how much native people enjoy a good laugh. You won't find more laughter in a room than sitting around having a few beers with buddies on the res. 

Rez Dogs is absolutely my favorite show.  There is a bright future for Harjo and those young leads - at least they deserve a bright future in acting, because they're all brilliant.

21 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Rez Dogs is absolutely my favorite show.  There is a bright future for Harjo and those young leads - at least they deserve a bright future in acting, because they're all brilliant.

Honestly, those roles probably came very easy to them. Not much of a departure for them at all. That's what made the show so good I think. Just find a few funny young indigenous people and tell them to be themselves and relive some of the funny moments they remember. The actors had a lot of input into the crafting of their jokes, and you could see that indigenous humor shine. It's that acknowledgement that makes the show special I think. It talks about deep issues but does so just like I would with a group of my buddies, with jokes and laughter and an effort to make the best out of a bad situation.

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Honestly, those roles probably came very easy to them. Not much of a departure for them at all. That's what made the show so good I think. Just find a few funny young indigenous people and tell them to be themselves and relive some of the funny moments they remember. The actors had a lot of input into the crafting of their jokes, and you could see that indigenous humor shine.

Acting well is much harder than it looks, even though so many characters come across as naturals (Alexis Paul, specifically).  What I love about the show is that trauma hangs over everyone, but there is so much humour and kindness in the scripting and acting.

I find it way more uplifting and clever than Ted Lasso.

11 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Acting well is much harder than it looks, even though so many characters come across as naturals (Alexis Paul, specifically).  What I love about the show is that trauma hangs over everyone, but there is so much humour and kindness in the scripting and acting.

Most of the sayings, jokes, and cultural references on the show are very typical of everyday reserve culture. They incorporated it very well and while I certainly can appreciate the difficulty in doing that, I can tell you that it came very natural to these actors. Trauma hangs over every reserve resident every day. It's the only thing they know well. You can not write a true reservation story without talking about suicide, despair, etc etc. and you cannot write a reserve story without acknowledging just how much humor they still enjoy in spite of that.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-07-13 at 9:15 AM, Wideleft said:

You see ridiculous comments like that and shake your head. I hate when people minimize the work that people do and the skills they have. 

On 2023-05-31 at 5:10 PM, Noeller said:

I loved the final season. My goodness is Anthony Carrigan an absolute delight.... and Stephen Root doing Stephen Root things, just dominating virtually every scene he's in. Hader proving yet again that he's a genius who is so much more than what he showed on SNL. He's a real cinephile and is currently working on a horror movie, which (and I'm not into horror movies) I have no doubt is going to be incredible. When Guillermo Del Toro is singing your praises and willing to pop in for a cameo, you know you're doing things right...

I started watching the Perry Mason reboot. I knew about Matthew Rhys but didn't know Root, John Lithgow, Shea Whigham, and Tatiana Maslany were in it as well.

9 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I started watching the Perry Mason reboot. I knew about Matthew Rhys but didn't know Root, John Lithgow, Shea Whigham, and Tatiana Maslany were in it as well.

INteresting.. I might have to give that a run. I only knew that Bob Downey was producing it, but not much other than that. I love Root and Lithgow and have a new appreciation for Maslany after her work on She Hulk...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

INteresting.. I might have to give that a run. I only knew that Bob Downey was producing it, but not much other than that. I love Root and Lithgow and have a new appreciation for Maslany after her work on She Hulk...

I saw She Hulk but didn't recognize her at first in Perry Mason. 

I'm like whose this blond hottie?