Johnny Sears at Safety

Jpan85

DL should be a very interesting battle. I'm betting that's where the biggest surprise cut will be.

DB could see a surprise cut too, we have a hell of a lot of rookie DB's.  9 rookie imports, plus guys like Markett, Dunn and a whole bunch of new NI's too.

Kent and Hefney cut the last two years in training camp...

Sears was definitely one of our best players when he was on the field, i remember watching several games.. i recall one in particular though.. a couple seasons back now against hamilton, chris williams was just absolutely making Jovon Johnson his beeee all game long, coaches i guess had enough and put sears in, sears didn't get beat once by williams.Sure, it's just one example but there are many others. I honestly thought sears was our best corner back every time he was on the field, rarely did he get beat. Rarely. DB's will get beat for sure, but sears, not so much actually.

DL should be a very interesting battle. I'm betting that's where the biggest surprise cut will be.

DB could see a surprise cut too, we have a hell of a lot of rookie DB's.  9 rookie imports, plus guys like Markett, Dunn and a whole bunch of new NI's too.

The only holdover from last year I can see being cut is Suber but even that seems very unlikely to me.

I worry about Zach Anderson. Vega and Turner will not be going anywhere and a DT position will be open for an NI(Lucas/Thomas). There are definitely a couple rookies that are going to push for a starting position on the Dline. I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see either of the our two guys that are in the NFL back by September.

I worry about Zach Anderson. Vega and Turner will not be going anywhere and a DT position will be open for an NI(Lucas/Thomas). There are definitely a couple rookies that are going to push for a starting position on the Dline. I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see either of the our two guys that are in the NFL back by September.

You mean Matthews and Muamba? Or am I missing someone?

I also think we may be seeing Bilukidi (Sp?) and Mulumba at some point this year too. We'd have to come up with a nick-name for our defence at that point, with three Congolese-born players on our D.

Speaking of Hefney, any appetiite to bring him back for another look considering the amount of DB rooks we have or has that shipped sailed?

Speaking of Hefney, any appetiite to bring him back for another look considering the amount of DB rooks we have or has that shipped sailed?

that ship sailed a long long long time ago.

You mean Matthews and Muamba? Or am I missing someone?I also think we may be seeing Bilukidi (Sp?) and Mulumba at some point this year too. We'd have to come up with a nick-name for our defence at that point, with three Congolese-born players on our D.

Sorry I should have been more clear i meant Bilukidi and Mulumba. I can totally see one of those two becoming available by September.

I assume that means he was cut by Calgary? Sorry I just wasn't paying much attention.

DB could see a surprise cut too, we have a hell of a lot of rookie DB's. 9 rookie imports, plus guys like Markett, Dunn and a whole bunch of new NI's too.

Speaking of Hefney, any appetiite to bring him back for another look considering the amount of DB rooks we have or has that shipped sailed?
I assume that means he was cut by Calgary? Sorry I just wasn't paying much attention.

Yes the Stamps cut him a couple weeks ago.

Good Lord no. I don't know of any one game he played in last year where he could actually walk away thinking to himself he played well. Huff took him off the 42 after 3 weeks or so I believe.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Mulumba... perhaps Mr Perfect knows a thing or 2 about Mulumba's status... I'd think Muamba would be more likely (not counting on it though)....

as for this idea of bringing back Hefney.... never, ever, ever should that thought even be entertained.... if every DB currently on our roster suffers season ending in camp I'd rather sign a bunch of new rookies.... 

I wouldn't hold my breath on Mulumba... perhaps Mr Perfect knows a thing or 2 about Mulumba's status... I'd think Muamba would be more likely (not counting on it though)....

as for this idea of bringing back Hefney.... never, ever, ever should that thought even be entertained.... if every DB currently on our roster suffers season ending in camp I'd rather sign a bunch of new rookies.... 

He signed a three year deal last year with a $5,000 signing bonus. He'll earn a base of $495,000 this year so in terms of his contact he's far from safe. That being said he did get a chance to show himself because of injuries last year to the Packers. He struggled at first but towards the end showed flashes of being capable.

I don't know that he'll be anything more from a depth player with the team. However, I don't think he gets cut based on the fact that he was undrafted and managed to work himself into the lineup and have a decent showing. He'll get the full year with the team for sure and unless he regresses will likely get 2015 as well. 

They clearly brought in guys to compete at DB anyways, not sure if they have a specific spot in mind.  Washington and Randle should be locks, outside of them I could see anything happening.  Basically, the corner jobs are spoken for with Randle and a NI at field corner.  Washington should be playing the weak half, strong half has been Suber's spot, import at safety, and potentially a DI in the secondary.  Then there's Banks.  It'll be interesting to watch it play out.

Question for anyone who understands the intricacies of the ratio in actual game use.  We've talked about starting 5 NIs on offence and 2 on defence as one option for meeting ratio requirements with that 7th NI rotating thru spots on D, OR starting 6 NIs on offence and 1 on defence.

Is there any way that we are allowed to rotate that 7th NI thru the offence AND the defence, or is the side of the ball for those players set in stone come game time?

Question for anyone who understands the intricacies of the ratio in actual game use.  We've talked about starting 5 NIs on offence and 2 on defence as one option for meeting ratio requirements with that 7th NI rotating thru spots on D, OR starting 6 NIs on offence and 1 on defence.

Is there any way that we are allowed to rotate that 7th NI thru the offence AND the defence, or is the side of the ball for those players set in stone come game time?

For the designated import(s) to come on the field they have to replace another import meaning you COULDN'T rotate it throughout offense AND defense(I think). 

It basically works with your 3 designated imports.

Your roster works like this:

3 QBs

19 imports

20 non-imports

If you only start the minimum 7 Canadians, then out of the 24 starting spots you have:

1 QB

7 non-inports

16 imports

The remaining 3 imports who don't start are called "Designated Imports" or DIs.   The 3 DIs have to be declared on the roster.

The DIs can only play special teams or replace one of the import starters.

A Non-Import can go in for an import or non-import starter at anytime.

Rather then looking at the rule as having to have 7 NIs starting, to track this efficiently and easily on the field, they just track that the DIs enter in substitution only for other imports.

Because he had so much playing time last year, he has no practice roster time left, and they just drafted an OLB in the fourth round. I think it's possible he gets released... Most packer fans tell me they see him nothing more then a depth guy, and he had a very minuscule signing bonus.

However even if he gets released I think another team gives him a shot.. But I think it's possible we see both this year or next