Johnny Sears at Safety

Jpan85

cKiqvLya_normal.jpeg Darrin Bauming @DarrinBauming  ·  4h

I've been wondering all winter, and things can definitely change in camp, but it appears #Bombers defender @JJr0 has moved to free safety.

This is really great news. I think its a position that fits Sears very well. Can go out and seek and destroy guys across the middle. Going across the middle is going to be a scary proposition for anyone with Kuale and Sears patrolling it. Hopefully can get a full season out of Johnny.

I like this move. Washington is too freaking good at Half to move to safety. I wonder who they go with if Sears struggles to stay on the field.

I guess this means Donovan Alexander is starting at Corner? 

I'd rather have a more intuitive, and more physical safety like Sears.  An instinctive safety with a presence like Sears has can improve every position in the secondary. 

No offense to Alexander at all, but Sears wasn't an outstanding corner.  He could well be above-average at safety, so if Alexander is even close to Sears ability at corner, that's the better use of the 2 players. 

I like this move. Washington is too freaking good at Half to move to safety. I wonder who they go with if Sears struggles to stay on the field.

I'd rather have a more intuitive, and more physical safety like Sears.  An instinctive safety with a presence like Sears has can improve every position in the secondary. 

No offense to Alexander at all, but Sears wasn't an outstanding corner.  He could well be above-average at safety, so if Alexander is even close to Sears ability at corner, that's the better use of the 2 players. 

Sears was a pretty damn good corner.

It was pretty clear a while ago that we were going to start an NI at corner, and that it wasn't going to be rotating.  The rotating positions will likely be DT, LB and S for the 7th NI.  Passing downs it will be a DT or LB. 1st down we might put the NI at safety.  It's all going to be situational.

He has the skill set to be a great corner.  Great speed and physicality, but he was never looking at the ball, allowing receivers to make grabs they shouldn't have been in position to make. 

That skill set translates very well to be forward facing like he will be often at safety.

He has the skill set to be a great corner.  Great speed and physicality, but he was never looking at the ball, allowing receivers to make grabs they shouldn't have been in position to make. 

That skill set translates very well to be forward facing like he will be often at safety.

Before he was injured that one year Im pretty sure he was top two in the league in knockdowns despite playing only a portion of the games, plus he had three picks, so I'm going to disagree on your assessment of his CB ability

It was pretty clear a while ago that we were going to start an NI at corner, and that it wasn't going to be rotating.  The rotating positions will likely be DT, LB and S for the 7th NI.  Passing downs it will be a DT or LB. 1st down we might put the NI at safety.  It's all going to be situational.

I think Thomas and Lucas will both play some, Newman and Bucknor are basically competing for a spot on D, most likely playing passing downs, taking out Thomas/Lucas, potentially swapping out an import DB or LB for another pass rusher.  Sherman has an outside shot in that competition too, he wasn't bad playing D a bit last year.

If we get any kind of LB play from a NI this year that would be a bonus (other than Newman maybe playing some OLB on passing downs).