Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

So if the CFL loses a significant chunk of games as the Sun is currently suggesting, I'm not sure coming back in or around when the NFL is starting to make it's return is wise for anybody. Not only are the CFL's numbers sky high before this year, but the NFL's numbers are higher than ever. The CFL loses some fans whenever the NFL comes back as it is anyway, and if there is nothing to keep fans appetites satisfied, I'd imagine the NFL's numbers will increase even further this year than they would origninally. I realize teams are getting significantly more money with the new TV deal but no league is as dependant on their fans than the CFL is. I'd be very careful as to what cards I'd play if I was the CFL or the PA. Without the fans they're both nothing.

So if the CFL loses a significant chunk of games as the Sun is currently suggesting, I'm not sure coming back in or around when the NFL is starting to make it's return is wise for anybody. Not only are the CFL's numbers sky high before this year, but the NFL's numbers are higher than ever. The CFL loses some fans whenever the NFL comes back as it is anyway, and if there is nothing to keep fans appetites satisfied, I'd imagine the NFL's numbers will increase even further this year than they would origninally. I realize teams are getting significantly more money with the new TV deal but no league is as dependant on their fans than the CFL is. I'd be very careful as to what cards I'd play if I was the CFL or the PA. Without the fans they're both nothing.

I think both sides are actually dumb enough  to take US for granted. Oh, they'll come back. Maybe. Like Perfect said, the NFL & it's popularity is the elephant in the room.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=452722

Dave Naylor - TSN

"With talks between the Canadian Football League and the CFL Players Association at a standstill, the league has taken its message directly to the membership.

Shortly after talks broke off during the latest bargaining session Wednesday morning, the league issued letters to the individual players which proposes a nine per cent increase in the salary cap for this coming season from $4.4 million to $4.8 million, with increases continuing over five season until the salary cap reaches $5,000,050.00.

The proposal would see the minimum salary increased from $45,000 to $50,000, and the average salary go from - by the league's math - $82,904 to $92,917.

The league has also proposed increasing the size of game day rosters from 42 to 44 players and limiting full contact practices to one per week during the season, with up to 10 more being held during the season at the team's discretion.

In addition, the league is dangling signing bonuses for every player if a deal is ratified by June 2, the first day or training camp. Rookies would receive $1,000 each, with veterans collecting $3,000 apiece.

The latest move by the league comes after a previous offer to the CFLPA was rejected on May 16. The player returned with an offer on May 20, which asked for an increase in the salary cap to $6.24 million for this coming season, with further increases to be built on top of that, starting in 2015, based on sharing in the league's revenue streams.

TSN reported Tuesday that the players were planning to propose on Wednesday a formula for the cap based solely on sharing revenue streams that would put the cap at $7 million"

that "bonus" for signing before June 2 or whatever....what a ******* joke. That's an insult to the players, and hopefully they see it that way. But like Lawless says, "they're *only* 2.2m apart", so it's time to negotiate and narrow that gap...

I can see players liking that $3000.  I mean, sign a deal, get a raise, get $3000 or potentially strike and lose money and even when the fight is over, unless you somehow think you're going to break the CFL, you're never going to recoup what you lost, let alone the bonus money.

PA should make a *reasonable* counter offer and get the deal done.  And the PA should instruct the players to stop commenting publicly because thats the quickest way to get public sentiment against you.  Athletes telling average fans that $92,000 a year just isnt enough.

Got this in am email from CFL Field Pass

Dear CFL Fans:

Thank you for your patience and understanding during our contract talks with our players.

Out of respect for our players and the negotiation process, we have had little to say in public. But now that the talks have reached a critical juncture, I want to provide you, the most important people in the CFL, with an update.

Today, we have directly communicated to CFL players the full details of our offer to them.

It is fair and reasonable. It would increase the average player salary by 12 per cent this season, to $92,917. It would increase the minimum player's salary by 11 per cent this season, to $50,000. It would increase the salary cap by nine per cent this season from $4.4 million to $4.8 million per team. More increases would come over the life of an agreement.

Unfortunately, the union's bargaining team has rejected this offer, and instead put forward an unrealistic proposal which, if adopted, would threaten the very existence of the CFL.

This is why we are now communicating directly to the players. The details of our offer, in a letter from me to the players, are posted on CFL.ca.

You may hear a lot in the media about revenue sharing. Our offer would share increased revenue with our players. But we cannot agree to an approach that would focus solely on our teams' revenues while ignoring their costs and the investments we must make to modernize, stabilize and maximize the CFL.

For example, our teams are directly investing $175 million in new stadiums and stadium improvements. Like your mortgage, these costs have to be financed over several years. We also need to invest in our digital properties, our social media, marketing and ticketing, and the fan experience in our stadiums. We need to serve you better to continue to earn your support and attract new fans.

Like you, we want football. We want training camp to open and our full pre-season and regular season schedule to be played. We don't want a work stoppage.

Like you, we admire and appreciate what our players do on the field and in the community. They deserve to be paid fairly.

But also like you, we love this league. And that means we have a responsibility to you, and future generations of fans, to keep it strong.

Thanks to your support, the CFL is in a better place today than it has been in years. And we have made an offer that reflects this growth.

But we still have work to do to ensure all of our teams can make a profit, which is crucial to attracting the next generation of owners, at the same time we attract new fans. We still have a long way to go to realize our vision of a strong, sustainable league that can succeed in today's rapidly changing business climate, and in every market.

It was a long winter in Canada. And like you, we can't wait for the season to start. But we owe it to everyone who loves the CFL to seek an agreement that's fair to our players and right for our league and its future.

Thank you again for your patience and all you've done to help us grow.

Mark Cohon

Slowly, based on comments I've seen and read and heard, the players' position is getting shakier and fans are getting nervous…and their support is dwindling. Raises, at close to 10%, is a tough point to argue against for the common fan.

And this league is for the common fan.

Can't afford to lose them.

At least that's how I see it.

PA has to realise a few things.  Firstly, they reality of the CFL.  Things might seem great now but are still shakey in some places, including KEY places like Toronto.  The CFL was on deaths door not too long ago.  A lot of team owners and communities spent a lot of money making sure their franchises and the league survived.  The League and owners deserve to have some financial stability and create rainy day funds.  As Cohon said, there is significant investment being made to venues across the league.

They also must realise that the CFL players are, for the most part, interchangeable.  Fans value the league.  A player may play one game and be gone.  Our team is here, hopefully, forever.

I think fans accept that a football players career is a short one.  Making $92,000 sounds great but if you spend the bulk of your 20's trying to get there, arrive and play for two years and are out of the sport at 30 thats not a lot of money to have made, it's not a significant nest egg.  But thats the risk that comes with choosing the dream of being a pro athlete.

If I'm a player, and I have to choose right now, I accept the CFL's offer.  But knowing the PA can make a reasonable counter that will likely be acceptable to the league, do it and be done with it.

I hope the CFL sticks to their guns on the bonus though.  Sign the deal by June 2nd or bonuses are off the table.

Also I love that I know much more about the CFL's negotiations with their Union than I do about my own union's negotiations.  It's like the 1950's over here.

On the contrary, the players' resolve has never seemed stronger, based on what I've been reading. Good for them. I'm decidedly pro-PA in this one. Be strong boys!

Players are always strong at this point.  Brotherhood and all that *rolls eyes*.  Im certainly not a union guy but I believe they have their place and workforce deserves fair compensation.  The CFL has made a fair offer.  Like someone else said, when was the last time your boss offered you a 10% raise and a $3000 signing bonus?

On the contrary, the players' resolve has never seemed stronger, based on what I've been reading. Good for them. I'm decidedly pro-PA in this one. Be strong boys!

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but when I said their support is dwindling, I meant amongst the fans.

The player's resolve may be tight, but they really have to be careful in how they gauge how far to push in their negotiations. I truly do appreciate the players and their positions and I want them to get a bigger share as well, but this is a sports league in a truly unique market. 

There is nothing like it to compare.

Chest thumping won't work here and careful steps must be taken leading towards training camp starts.

Losing games would be a horrible set back at this point in the CFL's history.

Yeah, I'm mostly on the CFL's side on this.  This is not the NFL, we do not have multiple TV stations broadcasting our games for multimillion dollar contracts with millions and millions of fans all over North America.  We have 1 TV station that increased it's contract for...how long?  And will it continue to increase after this contract is up?  The fan base is small as well and we don't charge $300 for a seat per game.  On the side of the CFLPA, I think that 4.8 is just a tad low, and would probably be more inclined to give them 5.5 with increases over the next 5 years.

Doesnt the TSN deal increase by $1 million per year for 5 years?

So cap is $4.4 right now.

Here's my offer:

Immediate increase to $4.9 ($500,000 increase), with $200,000 increases every year of a 5 year deal.

Takes it to $5.6 million at the end of the deal.  And gives the players 20% of the yearly increase in the TV deal after year one.