Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

Its like DB97 said recently: If you don't stand up and fight now, you'll never win another fight ever again. Go PA!!

except all this tough talk from the PA is kind of like when Best Korea threatens to wipe the Americans off the face of the Earth.

when it comes down to it the PA will fold faster than superman on laundry day.

Sounds like they are on two extremes.  The $55,000 minimum with a yearly 10% increase is as crazy as moving the cap up by $100,000.  In three years the league minimum salary would be nearly $75,000, in five years almost $90,000.  I can't imagine a lot of higher end players would be too happy about that.  Even if they got a share of revenue, say revenues drop or level out, but the minimum salary is $100,000...the only place for teams to claw back salary is on higher paid players.  Hard to know who holds clout in the union though, they are all repped by 3 agents too which complicates things.

I've thought throughout the process that moving up the minimum to $50,000 would be a good start. Increase it by 7.5% every year. That is around $65,000 after five years. I think that is fair.

Cap should be $4,600,000 and rise by $250,000 each year. On a five year deal:

Cap/Minimum

2014: $4,600,000 / $50,000

2015: $4,850,000 / $53,750

2016: $5,100,000 / $57,500

2017: $5,350,000 / $61,250

2018: $5,600,000 / $65,000

Is league minimum salary that big of an issue though?  How many players on a team would you say make the minimum on average?

Without knowing any contract info, I'd guess 10% of the league. So about 4-5 players a team.

If you make the playoffs, the minimum salary is just a touch over $50,000.

Anybody who would have made the minimum on a Grey Cup Championship team would have made a minimum salary of $70,000.

How many higher paid players per team of the 46ish? More lower end so that is where the votes are.

At any rate the players need to walk. Go CFLPA Go!

But, most of the guys fans care about are in the upper class of CFL players. For example, if a couple import QB's break from the PA, that could have more influence than 150 other imports striking.

Break from the PA and what? Stop playing in the CFL I guess. Anyway the fans don't vote on contracts the players do. Most would be in favour of a base increase.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=452199

"The CFL apparently has a counter-proposal prepared for the players - different from the reported $100,000 yearly salary cap increase over the life of a new eight-year CBA - but will not reveal the new bottom line unless the players abandon any revenue-sharing model."

Smart people saying stupid things. Why would the players agree to that?

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=452199

"The CFL apparently has a counter-proposal prepared for the players - different from the reported $100,000 yearly salary cap increase over the life of a new eight-year CBA - but will not reveal the new bottom line unless the players abandon any revenue-sharing model."

Smart people saying stupid things. Why would the players agree to that?

Optics are everything, but this sounds like only partial disclosure.  What is the league trying to avoid?

Its like DB97 said recently: If you don't stand up and fight now, you'll never win another fight ever again. Go PA!!

I agree. Don't want to see a strike but what are the players supposed to do? $750 a week to be on the practice roster?? guys come out of college & can work & start a career for way more than that. Why would any kid, especially a Canadian want to do that? The CFL is such a Mom & Pop organization. The league is a joke. 

What some posters on here don't get, is that there are a lot of players that aim to make the practice roster despite only earning that $750/wk... why?  Because it's their chance to get their big break and spend a few of their prime years playing the game they love.  They consciously decide to pursue their dream, waiting until later to start their post football career.

In a gate-driven league, what entertainment do PR guys contribute?  None, really.  It's a stipend to stick around with the team, in the very likely event they'll get a chance at some point to play due to an injury or what-not.

If the CFL is a "joke" to you, why do you have 3,970 posts on a CFL fan board?

How many higher paid players per team of the 46ish? More lower end so that is where the votes are.

But, most of the guys fans care about are in the upper class of CFL players. For example, if a couple import QB's break from the PA, that could have more influence than 150 other imports striking.

Break from the PA and what? Stop playing in the CFL I guess. Anyway the fans don't vote on contracts the players do. Most would be in favour of a base increase.

Break from the PA and try to rally players to oust the PA leadership, much like a group in the NHLPA did in the spring of 2005.

I'm in favour of increases across the board, but to have the minimum salary hit 6 figures by the end of the decade would be a little bit out there.  TSN money isn't guaranteed in perpetuity, and it's almost impossible to negotiate something like a minimum salary down.  The best solution for the minimum salary would be to make it a % of the SMS ceiling IMO, not a specific number.

Break from the PA and try to rally players to oust the PA leadership, much like a group in the NHLPA did in the spring of 2005.

I'm in favour of increases across the board, but to have the minimum salary hit 6 figures by the end of the decade would be a little bit out there. TSN money isn't guaranteed in perpetuity, and it's almost impossible to negotiate something like a minimum salary down. The best solution for the minimum salary would be to make it a % of the SMS ceiling IMO, not a specific number.

Six players making big coin are not going to rally hundreds of lower paid players wanting a raise. And they already ousted a person and got their man. 100k is not unreasonable IMO and if the league struggles they can deal with it then. The players have shown in the past they are willing to move to save the league.

I'm in favour of increases across the board, but to have the minimum salary hit 6 figures by the end of the decade would be a little bit out there. TSN money isn't guaranteed in perpetuity, and it's almost impossible to negotiate something like a minimum salary down. The best solution for the minimum salary would be to make it a % of the SMS ceiling IMO, not a specific number.

Six players making big coin are not going to rally hundreds of lower paid players wanting a raise. And they already ousted a person and got their man. 100k is not unreasonable IMO and if the league struggles they can deal with it then. The players have shown in the past they are willing to move to save the league.
Lol 100k is not unreasonable?? Easy to say that when you have no part in actually running a franchise. What exactly are you basing your numbers on? Just sounding nice?

If every player in the league makes $100k, that's about $6 million per team in player salaries.  That's not paying stars, veteran players, starting NI's and QB's much more than the minimum.  You're effectively doubling the amount teams spend on player salaries within a half-decade, unless every player is going to play for the minimum.  The league just doesn't have the stability to sustain that kind of upward pressure on payroll.  There's no guarantee that the TV money will stay, the league went from a pretty significant TV deal in the early-mid 80s to basically nothing before.  This deal runs through 2018.  Who even knows what the market for cable TV and broadcasting will be by then...

The stuff about players giving up money to save the league is hardly relevant IMO.  What about the cheques Bob Young, Wetenhall and Braley have cut to save the league?  You're talking tens of millions vs tens of thousands.  Players aren't going to win that peeing contest.

Raise the SMS limit, the floor raises too, players will get paid, because they have to.  Raising the minimum salary absurdly beyond the current average salary within 3 years just does not make sense.  The owners and players need to share the windfall, so far both proposals have been ridiculously lopsided in favour of the side proposing them.

The stuff about players giving up money to save the league is hardly relevant IMO.  What about the cheques Bob Young, Wetenhall and Braley have cut to save the league?  You're talking tens of millions vs tens of thousands.  Players aren't going to win that peeing contest.

This is the most important part for the players to actually remember. If Young and Wetenhall decide they are tired of losing money Braley can't buy every team. The CFL is in a good spot now but it's hardly as stable as all that. TSN decides that they want to save money and not pay up big for the next TV deal where does that leave the league? Wasn't that long ago the Bombers and Riders were on life support, they still have a hell of a time finding owners for the Argos and we're really not far removed from a goof like feterik owning the stamps. Things look stable now but it doesn't take much to make that all start to fall apart. 

I don't know about that. It works out to be just under 40,000 if over a 52 week period. $15000 over a 20 week season, with the ability to work at least 25 weeks for the rest of the year. Sure some of these guys will have a degree and the ability to make more money but with the current job market in the states $750 a week to do some thing you love to do is not a bad thing.

Lol 100k is not unreasonable?? Easy to say that when you have no part in actually running a franchise. What exactly are you basing your numbers on? Just sounding nice?

Basing it making a living which most players are as well. 60k is nothing these days so 100 is not out of the ballpark for a pro athlete in years to come.

The PR salary is much too low. By the time taxes, food, utilities, rent & expenses etc are added up it's not a great living. The minimum salary is also too low. I'm all for the players getting more.

Most guys on the PR live at the CanadInns on Pembina. I see them there all the time as I live in the area. The Bombers have a deal with CanadInns where the players staying there get their room and board (Aaltos buffet) for a decent rate.

Or 4 or 5 of them live in a rented house. Yeah, heard the stories. Same here in Calgary. Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson was on the Stamps PR in the mid 90's. He hated it & quit football to pursue a career in pro wrestling. I'm sure he holds a warm place in his heart for Wally Buono.... never heard him say anything good about his time with the Stamps other than he was always broke. 

I met a current Als player a couple of days ago. He has been off & on the roster but mostly a PR player. He told me that being a PR player in the CFL is nothing like he expected & I guess for him it's been a struggle as well.