Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

I believe the players will vote not to strike and this season will be played under the terms of the current CBA while negotiations continue. I know Flory said they won't play under this CBA, but if the players vote against the strike then it is the only real option.

Let's put it his way. Both sides would be beyond stupid to have a work stoppage. Incredibly stupid. 

Let's hope both sides realize this before it's too late. However I get the impression the players are trying to play a game of chicken they can't win. 

The problem with playing chicken is at some point, the side doing that can't back  down without losing power or face, That's the sad fact.  

750 a week eh, i guess when you think about it, that's not that bad for a few months of the year, besides, players dont have to agree to be on PR's, they can decline and try to catch on elsewhere or try to get a job somewhere else also.

For a guy straight out of university or college, that's nothing to sneeze at exactly.

Fact is, this is the CFL... these guys aren't gonna become millionaires playing up here, they all know this ahead of time, maybe the qb's and elite players can become millionaires if they have long careers, guys like ray probably have a few million in the bank already... but.

I played football for 2 years when i was much younger, quit because i enjoyed hockey more... 

Tell you this much, if some hockey team offered me 750 or 3000 bucks a month to play hockey and have a chance at maybe making the pros, i'd strongly strongly consider it. Yeah sure, this year or this week you might be making 750 bucks a week but next year or the year after... who knows really.

Gotta start somewhere.

Few years ago when i was in college, 750 bucks a week would have been very nice, but at that time, it was more like 750 or even a few bucks less every 2 weeks. 750 a week, aint so bad at all really for a few hours of work really. For me,  a few years ago to make 750 every 2 weeks, that was almost 80 hours or so of work, these guys work what? 5 6 10 hours every couple weeks? if that?

how many hours of "work" do these guys get, sure its 750 a week but what happens if you break it down in a per hour type of scenario. Bet its not that bad at all. 

That's all this is.  Football ends for every player.  Some after 12 years, some after 3, some after their first and only week of training camp.  Real life is waiting for all these guys.  They didn't make the NFL.  They didn't even land a regular roster spot in the CFL.  What is their football dream worth?  Is spending 14 weeks practising football while getting $750 per an insult when an injury gives you your big break in week 15?  I don't think so.

That's what this $750 is.  It's not compensation for playing football, it's compensation for putting their post-football life on hold for a chance to chase their football dream a little longer.

Guys will leave the game when the opportunity passes them by and go home to jobs where they earn less.  Just like Goalie, the summer job I had during college paid about $750 (after deductions) every 2 weeks.  47-1/2 hours per week or more lifting heavy steel, and my employer wasn't pitching in room and board.

I'd like to see the players receive a little more compensation for the physical price they pay to entertain us.  I'd like the owners to finally reap some profits after decades of losses.  I'm under the impression that Toronto and Hamilton still lose money on a regular basis.  I suspect Ottawa will not be immediately profitable.  I know Winnipeg has a massive debt to pay off.  Does Montreal make money?

I don't know what inspired TSN to pay that much for the TV rights but it sure seems to me like they overpaid.  By a lot.  Was the CBC trying to buy back into the CFL?  What brought this massive $ increase about?  It's a nice lottery win for the league but it sure seems like it will be temporary.  If this was the revenue stream for the last 20 years and looked to be the revenue stream for the next 20, doing economic modelling around it would make sense for everyone.  Right now I'd be really reluctant to link compensation to revenues if I was an owner, and that has nothing to do with greed.  People throw out meaningless statements like "the CFL is as strong as it's ever been".  Well, yeah, but so what?  That's not the same thing as saying the CFL is strong, that's pointing out how weak it previously was.

The CFL is a long ways from death's door.  That's good news for everyone.  I'm not of the impression that it's consistently profitable yet.  I hope everyone gets a fair piece of the pie.  I don't expect every player will get a $20,000 raise this year and every year that follows just because of the new TV contract.  $750 per week for the practise roster guys?  I'm fine with that.  That isn't an injustice.  That is the stipend they receive to keep their football dream alive one more year.  It's not $750 for a job in football, it's $750 for a chance to someday have a job in football.  It was the foothold that got Stevie Baggs to the NFL for a couple of seasons.  It likely got Wallace Miles a starting job in Ottawa.  The job at the lumbermart will be there next year.  Chase the football dream while you can.

Yeah but unions don't usually go to a strike vote unless they are sure they have the support. And I think a lot of people vote in favour of a strike as a bargaining chip with little intention to actually strike.

My union is in the midst of negotiations right now. Can't see a stroke happening but I guess summer is the right time for it.

I think a raise in the SMS of more than 3% and a higher minimum are valid requests. Don't like revenue sharing as it just seems like away for Ontario's teams to take the Western clubs cash. I do think the players have to realize the relatively thin margins most teams operate under.

I think a raise in the SMS of more than 3% and a higher minimum are valid requests. Don't like revenue sharing as it just seems like away for Ontario's teams to take the Western clubs cash. I do think the players have to realize the relatively thin margins most teams operate under.

Revenue sharing the PA wants is a percentage of total revenue (eg 50% owners & 50% players). Not sharing between teams.

Revenue sharing the PA wants is a percentage of total revenue (eg 50% owners & 50% players). Not sharing between teams.

how do you tie salaries to revenue if you don't share revenue between teams though? 

Yeah but unions don't usually go to a strike vote unless they are sure they have the support. And I think a lot of people vote in favour of a strike as a bargaining chip with little intention to actually strike.

My union is in the midst of negotiations right now. Can't see a stroke happening but I guess summer is the right time for it.

Ask Pee Wee Herman. Anytime is a good time for a good stroke

Well, I for one don't expect training camp to start on time.   There's no way the teams will pay to fly in all the players if they expect labour disruption. 

I usually start to get excited at this time of the year but not this year.  

I don't really have any concerns here, they are scheduled to meet on Wednesday again so... Honestly, i think both sides are posturing a bit for the media, this is what happens it seems, doubt a strike happens, think they get a deal done. They pretty much have too and i think regardless what you hear in the media, both sides know this and will get a deal done soon.

The 10% salary increase is totally not feasible!!  Who gets 10% increases each year on minimum salaries??  That is a recipe to go Bankrupt for the struggling teams anyway.  Not so much the western teams...but teams with lower attendance like Hammy, Toronto and prob eventually Ottawa it could be a problem.

The 10% salary increase is totally not feasible!!  Who gets 10% increases each year on minimum salaries??  That is a recipe to go Bankrupt for the struggling teams anyway.  Not so much the western teams...but teams with lower attendance like Hammy, Toronto and prob eventually Ottawa it could be a problem.

That one was a bit on the insane side.  Obviously they're starting out with a large demand so they can negotiate down to something reasonable, but it kind of defeats the purpose when your proposal is outright laughable.  It's almost like they ran out of time on proposal writing day and didn't bother plugging the numbers in to see what would happen.  10% in year one followed by 3% in subsequent years at least would have a hope, but even the math on that might make payroll a concern for certain teams.

Matthew Scianitti @TSNScianitti 1m

According to anonymous player, new proposal's salary cap would be approximately $7 million. This year's salary cap was $4.4 million

Wow looks like they want all the new TV revenue. I think if they get over 5 million they will be lucky.

when would this new salary cap kick in tho? i mean, realistically it couldn't kick in until next season, how do you even make that work?

7 million? these guys are on crack if they think they will get that. That is just unreasonable.

Teams are losing money, a cap of 5 5.5 million might  be more feasible, 7 is completely ridiculous actually.

Matthew Scianitti ‏@TSNScianitti 1m

According to anonymous player, new proposal's salary cap would be approximately $7 million. This year's salary cap was $4.4 million

Wow looks like they want all the new TV revenue. I think if they get over 5 million they will be lucky.

Does this mean the CFLPA has given up on the revenue sharing concept and is now okay with a hard cap? If so, that's a huge concession and a positive, as both sides are now speaking the same language.

Matthew Scianitti ‏@TSNScianitti 1m

Does this mean the CFLPA has given up on the revenue sharing concept and is now okay with a hard cap? If so, that's a huge concession and a positive, as both sides are now speaking the same language.

Yeah, the language for both sides is, "You're nuts"!!

ricky foley at it on twitter..

these guys are trying to bury the league. If players strike, will fans come back? this isn't a lock out, this will be a strike. I'm not convinced the fans come back in all places.

And if the players strike, can the cfl not just get replacement players? i mean, really.. get rid of the canadian ratio and there you go, i think we still see CFL football this year tho. if not, this may be the end.