Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

I live on that week and am able to live very comfortably I am sure they are paying less in rent and meals than me if they are getting a deal for it.

Seven hundred & fifty dollars a week won't fly with the players. You might think it's fine to live on which is your opinion & certainly entitled to feel that way  but I have a strong suspicion that will change once a new CBA is agreed to. 

For professional sports $750 a week is a joke. You take off taxes & EI & it's a bit over $600 a week. Most guys can find jobs paying better than that.

Exactly, to put it on the line like they do training year round to compete at such a high level. They should be compensated fairly for what they do.

New stadiums all over the league, great revenue streams. Run it properly and every team should make some real good coin. Even with paying people what they deserve.

For professional sports $750 a week is a joke. You take off taxes & EI & it's a bit over $600 a week. Most guys can find jobs paying better than that.

You have to consider that our league, The Canadian Football League, is mostly a working man's professional league.

In no way should it be considered a joke.

It is unique and in it's own special way, very special, and too many have sacrificed so much to take it where it is, for it to be described in the way you present it.

It is what it has to be, and does what it has to do, to survive up here in Canada.

It's part of what makes it special.

Let's face it, money isn't what makes this league what it is, but having said that, I sure hope they can hash out a more equitable deal.

I am sure they are living a lot better better than many ball players in the minors. Where they are owned by billion dollar teams.

The CFL is the minors?

Well I guess they are having a hard time shedding the "Bush League" title.

Time to make a move into the pros or swim with the shmoes.

The PR salary is much too low. By the time taxes, food, utilities, rent & expenses etc are added up it's not a great living. The minimum salary is also too low. I'm all for the players getting more. 

According to Drew Edwards, teams provide accommodation and some meals to PR players.

750 a week eh, i guess when you think about it, that's not that bad for a few months of the year, besides, players dont have to agree to be on PR's, they can decline and try to catch on elsewhere or try to get a job somewhere else also.

For a guy straight out of university or college, that's nothing to sneeze at exactly.

Fact is, this is the CFL... these guys aren't gonna become millionaires playing up here, they all know this ahead of time, maybe the qb's and elite players can become millionaires if they have long careers, guys like ray probably have a few million in the bank already... but.

I played football for 2 years when i was much younger, quit because i enjoyed hockey more... 

Tell you this much, if some hockey team offered me 750 or 3000 bucks a month to play hockey and have a chance at maybe making the pros, i'd strongly strongly consider it. Yeah sure, this year or this week you might be making 750 bucks a week but next year or the year after... who knows really.

Gotta start somewhere.

Few years ago when i was in college, 750 bucks a week would have been very nice, but at that time, it was more like 750 or even a few bucks less every 2 weeks. 750 a week, aint so bad at all really for a few hours of work really. For me,  a few years ago to make 750 every 2 weeks, that was almost 80 hours or so of work, these guys work what? 5 6 10 hours every couple weeks? if that?

how many hours of "work" do these guys get, sure its 750 a week but what happens if you break it down in a per hour type of scenario. Bet its not that bad at all. 

But it's not $750 after taxes & deductions. Probably more like $600.

yeah so what, it's their choice. its per week man, thats  1200 every 2 weeks, thats nothing to cry about exactly.

i know lots of people who actually went to college and don't make that much per week right now after taxes.

But it's not $750 after taxes & deductions. Probably more like $600.

yeah so what, it's their choice. its per week man, thats  1200 every 2 weeks, thats nothing to cry about exactly.

i know lots of people who actually went to college and don't make that much per week right now after taxes.

Nothing to jump up & scream about, either.

or is this board full of lawyers doctors pharmacists and all that? cuz 750 a week aint that awful really.

or is this board full of lawyers doctors pharmacists and all that? cuz 750 a week aint that awful really.

I don't know if there are a lot of doctors & lawyers here. Maybe a few cheapskates. ;)

no,nothing to jump up and scream about but... for a chance to live your dream, it's worth it.

Pretty obvious the guys who play in the CFL, sure they want the NFL big money but lots are definitely playing for the love of the game.

That is what makes the CFL so unique, people like all of us here can take our family and friends to a game and see guys who, hey you know what.. they aint making that much more than any of us, people complain lots when ticket prices go up, you keep raise salaries, ticket prices will keep going up.

It ain't great, either. Try living on that in Vancouver or Toronto.

I don't see how it would be any more difficult in those cities since the most expensive thing about living there is accommodation which PR players don't have to pay. 

And being on the PR doesn't mean they only make $750, that's the minimum they can be paid. Some do get more than that.

l

I get that. Point I was trying to make was billion dollar MLB don't treat the players they own and are developing better than practice roster players in the CFL.

Got it, the lines were kind of blured. But league minimum in the CFL is a joke. For a Pro League. Now I guess it depends if it is or not? Pros vs Shmoes.

Whether the players need or deserve more money is an interesting discussion to have, but ultimately it is irrelevant because the CBA isn't going to be decided based on who deserves what.  It's going to be decided based on who has the most leverage, and I don't think anyone can make a serious argument that the players have the advantage.

I mean, even if they do strike, how long can the players really last?  Half a season?  Half the guys on CFL rosters right now will be replaced by next year at this time.  You think those guys are going to want to show solidarity with a bunch of guys they have never even played with before?  They know this is their last shot at a pro career, and they're going to want to take it.

And that doesn't even consider the money aspect.  $750/week may not be much money, but some of these guys are relying on that to feed their families.  Are they supposed to go out and get another job while they are on strike?  What do they do?

The owners may not be flush with cash, but they can eat the loss that may accompany a half-season work stoppage.  I'm not so sure the players can.