CFL Draft Day Discussion Thread

Mike

So what was the trade we made to get a second rounder?

We got 17th overall for 20th and 26th

Nice, thanks.. And that turned into Briggs... Someone walters really coveted no less... Win in my book..

Bombers turned down 5+12 for Goossen.

I'm actually glad they did. I'm not in love with the Goossen pick but I certainly would not have wanted 5+12. Coombs or Pruneau would've been my picks at 5 and neither one was there. Evan Gill or Quinn Smith would've been my targets at 12 and neither one was there, going off who WAS available, I'm sure that Briggs would've been the pick at 12 and we got him much later anyways.

Still would have been good... at 5, I would have seriously looked at Bailey or Smith...  and still picked up Player or Briggs at 12.  

Mark or Dhillon at 20, Chin or Bastien at 26....

The bigger question I have in Hamilton will be if Giovonne Aprille (Johnny April) actually shows up to camp and actually plays.  I thought he showed well at our camp a couple of years ago.

We traded him for a likely NI starter this year in Matt Bucknor, so I am comfortable with that trade. 

The bigger question I have in Hamilton will be if Giovonne Aprille (Johnny April) actually shows up to camp and actually plays.  I thought he showed well at our camp a couple of years ago.

We traded him for a likely NI starter this year in Matt Bucknor, so I am comfortable with that trade.

I'd be surprised if Bucknor is our starting field corner. I am leaning towards Alexander for that spot.

Who do u guys like at safety then if Alexander will be field cb

I would take a serious look at Briggs...  he's 230 lbs but can prob cut 10lbs...  his numbers mirror Edem's from last year.  

Yeah, but O'Shea and Walters already said they're keeping him at LB

Sears or Washington. Maybe one of the new guys.

I thought they wanted that to be a Canadian spot?

I always thought it would be Alexander at Safety with Bucknor at Field Corner. But If Alexander is better at Corner hopefully Newman can really step up and be a good safety for us.

I always thought it would be Alexander at Safety with Bucknor at Field Corner. But If Alexander is better at Corner hopefully Newman can really step up and be a good safety for us.

I just can't see two Canadians in the secondary. I see it as 4 OL, 2 REC, 1 rotating on D

Winners and losers...

Great

Calgary - Lavertu, Smith and Caron - just keep getting stronger... plus LDT and Thibault gambles

Sask - traded out of first round and still ended up with Ainsworth and Bastien, loaded up on OL late

BC - Glenn, Player, Chin - filled some holes for sure

Good

Winnipeg - Safe draft with Goossen and Briggs, waiting on Neufeld now

Toronto - Nice move to get Coombs

Hamilton - Some nice talent, still targetting LBs and DL

Bad

Ottawa - Did they have Mack on the phone?

Edmonton - Another Cdn receiver??? Trying to see a plan here...

I

Hard to judge their body of work since they really didn't have much to work with. Aside from him being a Manitoba boy, Evan Gill is a risky pick for a team like Hamilton because he's one of your two top 40 picks and he may not even consider coming to camp this year as he gears up for the NFL next year. Moving up to get Landry confused me for the price they paid and the other guys are wait and see types. I do like Pesek though.

Dont know where you got info from but he's made it clear he's coming to camp and wants to play.

I just can't see two Canadians in the secondary. I see it as 4 OL, 2 REC, 1 rotating on D

Well, hopefully Neufeld is ready to take that step and be a starter at Tackle for us then... That would be ideal.

But I do recall hearing O'Shea say that they weren't yet in a position to have 4 canucks on the line.

Winners and losers...

Great

Calgary - Lavertu, Smith and Caron - just keep getting stronger... plus LDT and Thibault gambles

Sask - traded out of first round and still ended up with Ainsworth and Bastien, loaded up on OL late

BC - Glenn, Player, Chin - filled some holes for sure

Good

Winnipeg - Safe draft with Goossen and Briggs, waiting on Neufeld now

Toronto - Nice move to get Coombs

Hamilton - Some nice talent, still targetting LBs and DL

Bad

Ottawa - Did they have Mack on the phone?

Edmonton - Another Cdn receiver??? Trying to see a plan here...

IHard to judge their body of work since they really didn't have much to work with. Aside from him being a Manitoba boy, Evan Gill is a risky pick for a team like Hamilton because he's one of your two top 40 picks and he may not even consider coming to camp this year as he gears up for the NFL next year. Moving up to get Landry confused me for the price they paid and the other guys are wait and see types. I do like Pesek though.

Dont know where you got info from but he's made it clear he's coming to camp and wants to play.

There were reports and rumours for a couple of months before the draft that he was going to go back to school and try the NFL next year.