Bombers to host 2015 Grey Cup

gbill2004

Rich is right -- it's what, in media, we call "Contra"....a barter system of sorts. And because the whole thing is an advertising expense, it's all a write off. This is definitely the case...no question.

As someone who has worked as controller for companies that need advertising, I can tell you I hate contra. Rather pay and be paid.

Rich is right -- it's what, in media, we call "Contra"....a barter system of sorts. And because the whole thing is an advertising expense, it's all a write off. This is definitely the case...no question.

As someone who has worked as controller for companies that need advertising, I can tell you I hate contra. Rather pay and be paid.

Absolutely...any good media outlet despises contra and avoids it when they can. You always prefer a cash transaction. Sometimes, however, situations dictate extreme measures. In this case, it's necessary.

Absolutely...any good media outlet despises contra and avoids it when they can. You always prefer a cash transaction. Sometimes, however, situations dictate extreme measures. In this case, it's necessary.

1181242070206.png

Either way, how many people were racing to the table to put up the money?  Thats a good deal for the Bombers if they get a $350,000 press box in exchange for advertising.  A very good deal in deed.  its clear Asper loves this team.  Regardless of whatever, he's the type of guy I like having around because he bleeds blue & gold.

How is it a good deal exactly??

If the Bombers had gone through the proper process of hiring the proper firm, one with experience in designing stadiums, like the Riders are doing, instead of hiring Asper's buddy Ray Wan (he of no experience in designing stadiums) to design IGF, then they wouldn 't have needed to spend an additional $350,000 to build a proper pressbox - it would have been designed and constructed correctly the first time around.

Hiring Ray Wan instead of a real firm with experience like HKS has cost the taxpayers millions of additional dollars when you factor in other mistakes that had to be corrected (like lack of proper access to the field level for concerts).  Plus I'm sure there is more to come in the future.

Great that we have the big game coming back to Winnipeg.  Hope the Convention Centre expansion is completed by then.

Either way, how many people were racing to the table to put up the money?  Thats a good deal for the Bombers if they get a $350,000 press box in exchange for advertising.  A very good deal in deed.  its clear Asper loves this team.  Regardless of whatever, he's the type of guy I like having around because he bleeds blue & gold.

If the Bombers had gone through the proper process of hiring the proper firm, one with experience in designing stadiums, like the Riders are doing, instead of hiring Asper's buddy Ray Wan (he of no experience in designing stadiums) to design IGF, then they wouldn 't have needed to spend an additional $350,000 to build a proper pressbox - it would have been designed and constructed correctly the first time around.

There sure is a lot of talk on the internet about great the new Roughrider stadium is and how it's on budget.  Remind me again... is it done?

The group that is designing the stadium first estimated Cowboy stadium at $650 million... The final bill was way over $1 billion.  

The Bombers didn't hire the firm who designed the stadium - Creswin/Asper did. Part of the payoff Creswin/Asper received when they were removed from the project was to buy the plans from him. 

The Bombers didn't hire the firm who designed the stadium - Creswin/Asper did. Part of the payoff Creswin/Asper received when they were removed from the project was to buy the plans from him. 

And a poor decision that was!

And a poor decision that was!
You would have rather waited at least another year to get construction started? Other than the stadium in Hamilton, what other stadium has the architect for the Riders stadium designed?

The press box at IGF is a minor fix compared to what had to be done at MTS Centre.

Hiring Ray Wan instead of a real firm with experience like HKS has cost the taxpayers millions of additional dollars when you factor in other mistakes that had to be corrected (like lack of proper access to the field level for concerts).  Plus I'm sure there is more to come in the future.

Great that we have the big game coming back to Winnipeg.  Hope the Convention Centre expansion is completed by then.

Can't put the genie back in the bottle.  The Press Box was made poorly.  But this is a good deal to fix it.  I recall Joe Mack was insistent to Bombers brass that the open air press box was not going to fly and he was ignored.  So a rare bit of insight from Joe.

Some concerns and questions over today's presser:

1. When asked how much money the provincial NDP govt. put into the event he answered - about 4 million.

2. Giving 4 million to an event where the expected 'profit' is only going to be around $3.5 million seems to be a money wash.

3. Comm. Cohon repeated a couple times that the bombers have to cut cheques to the govt. for 4 to 4.5 million a year. Thats true but not one payment has been made to date, even with the bombers showing profits.

4. A couple media asked why the Bombers didn't bid on the 2016 event where they might have a reasonable chance at even participating as the western combatant. I think thats a valid concern. The answer may lie in the fact the bombers required an infusion of fresh cash for operations and the Grey Cup was used as cover for darkness. 

5. The 4 million the Premier confessed to handing over was probably not the end of the cash drip. I believe the city is on the hook for an undisclosed sum, too.

6. When Wade Miller was questioned about how much the bombers had to pay for the rights to hold the cup he instantly became defensive and refused to disclose. This is a public organization (so we are led to believe) and the money we provide to the organization is publically disclosed; however we cannot be privy to what the bombers had to shell out to Mr. Cohon and the league. I suspect part of the 4 million the premier advanced to the team was used to provide this undisclosed pre-payment. 

7. Obviously, public disclosure has always been a problem with this organization regardless of whether it was Ken Bishop, Lyle Bauer, Garth Buchko or Wade Miller running things. 

8. If the profit on this event is going to be 3.5 million (or more) for the team why does the team need 4 million (plus whatever the city is going to covertly kick in)???  To me, and I'm obviously not a cost accountant if the profit for the event is 4 million but the province and city kicked in 5 million doesn't that equate to a 1 million dollar loss? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

9. Lets say the Grey Cup brings in a 5 million profit (incredibly successful). Does that mean the NDP govt. (or probably PC by the time all Grey Cup monies are accounted for) will get the 4 to 4.5 million dollar payback that was promised when the stadium deal was set in stone?

10. The stadium payback was to be on a 45 to 50 year basis. Already 4 years have passed by and no payback. Bob Irving said the bombers will be announcing a profit in late April/early May (according to W. Miller). If they don't exceed 4.5 million does that mean the public trough will not receive any money?

My own personal opinion (different from the above questions) is that the deal will be re-formatted to delay repayment of any monies for at least another 5 years - and at that time another re-set can be effected. The Bombers basically got a free stadium from a weak and indecisive Premier who has lied before and will lie again (No PST, remember). What new con can Selinger package out when talk of re-payment starts again. And this time it was Commissioner Mark Cohon who made the mistake of opening his yap and talking about something that should be totally verboten around bomber brass. Even Selinger has been told to back off from asking for payback. From a taxpayer point of  view the best payback would have been:

1. A long-term seat tax of between $1 and $2 per exhibition and reg. season ticket and $3 to $5 for playoff or Grey Cup ducats. During a non-playoff year this would re-pay $300k to $600k and during years with playoffs probably $500k to $800k. Over a 50 year period, using an average of $500,000 per year this would equate to 25 million.

2. If the stated intent of 4 to 4.5 million payback is just a long-term ruse then adjust it downward. Make the bombers pay a portion of their TV & radio money - perhaps 1 million per year..... over 50 years thats 50 million.

3. Percentage of net profits - if the team makes $500,000 minimum net they should repay 15 to 20% annually or up to $100k per year or 5 million over 50 years. If the team averages 2 million a year then 20% is $400k annually or 20 million over 50 years. 

Note: if the amount owed is re-paid prior to the 50 year period all payments to the govt. should cease. More money should go into the bomber reserve to pay for stadium repairs, football operations, training, unexpected liabilities, training, etc. The Bombers should be made to pay for the things they contracted to pay. If any of us want to buy season tickets, bomber merchandise or promotional suites its cash on the barrelhead. Why should it be any different for them?

A proper repayment schedule fosters goodwill not only with the football interested public but with then entire public. It shows a willingness to be a contributor to society rather than just takers of public purse money. The current Premier is obviously not prepared to make any form of demands on the club. He's awash in tons of his own scandals and caught in a torrent of lies and deceit that will probably result in his resignation within a year and a new government in less than 2 years (PC in all probability)

But I'd like someone to tackle the first question I raised. About 4 or 5 million going in first. Basically a grant. Set against expected profits of 3.5 to 4 million.

It takes money to make money. Province shells out $4 million to the Bombers as a loan (not a grant). That results in projected revenue of approximately $8 million. Bombers pay back the $4 million to the province. Net profit for the Bombers is $4 million.

The Grey Cup is expected to generate $100 million for the Manitoba economy, so a small $4 million loan is a no brainer for the Premier.

It takes money to make money. Province shells out $4 million to the Bombers as a loan (not a grant). That results in projected revenue of approximately $8 million. Bombers pay back the $4 million to the province. Net profit for the Bombers is $4 million.

The Grey Cup is expected to generate $100 million for the Manitoba economy, so a small $4 million loan is a no brainer for the Premier.

Yes, I've heard the overall economic activity from an event like this is anywhere from 60 to 100 million. But I don't recall "loans" of over 4 million being provided for prior Cups in Winnipeg. The last Grey Cup at Rustbucket Field yielded anywhere from 4 to 5 million in 'profit' without the big advance. 

The Bombers aren't obligated to make any payments on the $85 million loan from the province until after the 2018 season.

They have to pay back a $10 million dollar bank loan they (BBB Stadium) took out to finish the stadium construction first, which should be paid off after the 2017 seasons according to their projections.

The $3 million the province is putting into the stadium is to insulate plumbing so the stadium can function during the deep freeze.  Not going to add any functionality beyond avoiding a disaster at a November football game or an outdoor NHL game...another design oversight/cost cutting move during the stadium build.