Bombers to host 2015 Grey Cup

gbill2004

Whether I step foot in the facility or not is just a red herring. Even if  I went to a few games that issue won't go away. 

The acid test this year is whether enough people go to the stadium especially with a sub-average to mediocre product on display.

We suspect (and truly hope) Mike O is the real deal. Also that Walters and Miller have their fingers on the pulse.

But I don't think crowds of 25,000 to 26,500 is gonna be sustainable. O well, the NDP will always subsidize the program as long as they're in power.

The Grey Cup in 2015 is a good thing in that it will force tons of individuals to buy season tickets in order to be assured Grey Cup tickets. Thats a good thing. Whats the current season ticket base as of March 29, 2014? Anyone know?

Whether I step foot in the facility or not is just a red herring. Even if  I went to a few games that issue won't go away. 

The acid test this year is whether enough people go to the stadium especially with a sub-average to mediocre product on display.

We suspect (and truly hope) Mike O is the real deal. Also that Walters and Miller have their fingers on the pulse.

But I don't think crowds of 25,000 to 26,500 is gonna be sustainable. O well, the NDP will always subsidize the program as long as they're in power.

The Grey Cup in 2015 is a good thing in that it will force tons of individuals to buy season tickets in order to be assured Grey Cup tickets. Thats a good thing. Whats the current season ticket base as of March 29, 2014? Anyone know?

You dont think crowds of 25,000+ are sustainable?  What?  Come on man

As for the NDB subsidizing the program, the Bombers are owned by the public.  It was the responsibility of the government to provide the team with an upgraded or new facility or sell it.  The team is kicking in tens of millions of dollars (and dont tell me 'it will never be repaid' because thats speculation and an argument for another time).  Its a good deal for Manitobans.

It doesnt matter who was in power.  You think the PC's would have let the team "fold" when CIS eventually collapsed?  Not a chance.

The ONLY issue I have now with the stadium is that it doesnt *really* feed into the local area economy.  Ofcourse, the bars and restaurants around Pembina HWY will benefit on game day but the Stadium is sort of an island unto itself.  At least until the UofM does more development.  But unlike the Jets, with only 10 games a year, the Bombers werent really going to be acatalyst for local development anyway.  So I guess I dont have an issue.  See, I worked through that logically and now Im happy...try it.

Even the Manitoba Hydro building had lots of problems after it was built.  It took a while but things are fixed now.

The problem with Winnipegers I think is that we're cheap.  Which is good and bad.  We're trying to save money by not investing in our city's infrastructure, but then we ***** because our infrastructure sucks ass.  It's no wonder people don't want to live here.  I know cold weather is part of it, but I think if we had a better infrastructure, more people would move here.  But no one wants to spend money.  So everyone *******.  Bitching about the stadium cause it "costs too much" never mind that it can bring in revenue and that it's great for the city.  Bitching about spending too much on roads, yet they ***** that the roads suck.

It's a big bitchfest here plain and simple.  People ***** about it being too cold in the winter, yet in the summer when it's nice out, they sit aimlessly in their freezing cold homes with the AC cranked.

You can't always worry about the cost of everything.  Sometimes you just gotta lay the bucks down and hope for the best outcome.

You dont think crowds of 25,000+ are sustainable?  What?  Come on man

As for the NDB subsidizing the program, the Bombers are owned by the public.  It was the responsibility of the government to provide the team with an upgraded or new facility or sell it.  The team is kicking in tens of millions of dollars (and dont tell me 'it will never be repaid' because thats speculation and an argument for another time).  Its a good deal for Manitobans.

It doesnt matter who was in power.  You think the PC's would have let the team "fold" when CIS eventually collapsed?  Not a chance.

The ONLY issue I have now with the stadium is that it doesnt *really* feed into the local area economy.  Ofcourse, the bars and restaurants around Pembina HWY will benefit on game day but the Stadium is sort of an island unto itself.  At least until the UofM does more development.  But unlike the Jets, with only 10 games a year, the Bombers werent really going to be acatalyst for local development anyway.  So I guess I dont have an issue.  See, I worked through that logically and now Im happy...try it.

There's also concerts and what not that will be using the facilities as well.  So they'll benefit a bit from that too.

We've had an NDP government for too long also.  And their method of governing sucks.  Taxes are high, roads are crumbling, transfer payments are up and yet we're in a deficit every year.  Like come on....  Then again it's all Gary Filmon's fault.  He even killed 12 babies according to Selby this week.  Sorry, off topic.

The economic benefit from the Grey Cup should be much more substantial in Manitoba than Sasky, that's for sure.  Here we actually have the hotels and venues to accomodate the 10-20,000 out-of-province folk for the Grey Cup week.  In Regina, they had room for what?  1000 people tops from out-of-province?

In the end, the economic impact from the 2015 Grey Cup week will be similar to that in Regina ($130 million or so), but most of money generated from the Regina Grey Cup came from people already living in the province.  It's not as if those people would have just pocketed the money they saved on tickets, souvenirs, food and drinks if the Grey Cup wasn't being held in the province - they would have just spent in other things..like upgrading the toilet seats in their outhouses from pine to oak, buying their cousins roses instead of dandelions, adding grills on their dentures..things like that. In other words, very little new money was added to the Saskatchewan economy regardless of the 2013 Grey Cup.

With decent hotel accomodations and superior venues, Manitoba should see a more significant contribution in out-of-province money once the 2015 Grey Cup week is completed.

I do love how much bitching, whining and complaining that comes from people who love the stadium and go to games and events there. You would think the city asked for their first born to get this done and yet what was the end cost to "the people"? Like 10 dollars annually in taxes?

Smh. This city thrives on getting to ***** about the dumbest **** possible..

My complaints have more to do with how the cost is continually going up, when realistically a lot of these issues should have been solved from the beginning. My taxes are going up anyways really don't care about that, even if they rose my tickets by $50 -80 I wouldn't care. While I do enjoy the stadium and think it's one of the best in Canada, the fact that these issues are still coming up and the Bombers are still being bailed out without even paying back $1 to the province so far, are the issues for me. Do it right the first time, that's all I ask.

How do you know it's the people going to the stadium who are doing the bitching?  I feel like it's the people who never leave their house who are the ones whining and crying about everything.

I attended every game (save for one, due to my grandmothers birthday) last season, so does that mean I can voice my opinion or are you still against it ?

Even the Manitoba Hydro building had lots of problems after it was built.  It took a while but things are fixed now.

The problem with Winnipegers I think is that we're cheap.  Which is good and bad.  We're trying to save money by not investing in our city's infrastructure, but then we ***** because our infrastructure sucks ass.  It's no wonder people don't want to live here.  I know cold weather is part of it, but I think if we had a better infrastructure, more people would move here.  But no one wants to spend money.  So everyone *******.  Bitching about the stadium cause it "costs too much" never mind that it can bring in revenue and that it's great for the city.  Bitching about spending too much on roads, yet they ***** that the roads suck.

It's a big bitchfest here plain and simple.  People ***** about it being too cold in the winter, yet in the summer when it's nice out, they sit aimlessly in their freezing cold homes with the AC cranked.

You can't always worry about the cost of everything.  Sometimes you just gotta lay the bucks down and hope for the best outcome.

IMO Jets tickets being what they are and people paying it, proved that Winnipegers are not cheap. We just want people to think we are.

I do love how much bitching, whining and complaining that comes from people who love the stadium and go to games and events there. You would think the city asked for their first born to get this done and yet what was the end cost to "the people"? Like 10 dollars annually in taxes?

Smh. This city thrives on getting to ***** about the dumbest **** possible..

My complaints have more to do with how the cost is continually going up, when realistically a lot of these issues should have been solved from the beginning. My taxes are going up anyways really don't care about that, even if they rose my tickets by $50 -80 I wouldn't care. While I do enjoy the stadium and think it's one of the best in Canada, the fact that these issues are still coming up and the Bombers are still being bailed out without even paying back $1 to the province so far, are the issues for me. Do it right the first time, that's all I ask.

How do you know it's the people going to the stadium who are doing the bitching?  I feel like it's the people who never leave their house who are the ones whining and crying about everything.

I attended every game (save for one, due to my grandmothers birthday) last season, so does that mean I can voice my opinion or are you still against it ?

IMO Jets tickets being what they are and people paying it, proved that Winnipegers are not cheap. We just want people to think we are.

I suggest that Winnipegers are not cheap, but demand value for their money. In places like Toronto the Leafs will draw full houses no matter how pathetic the team is, and that leads to management and players not giving a spit. Jets fans have given them a Mulligan for three years out of novelty and nostalgia but that ride is probably going to an end if the team does not perform a whole lot better next year.

You can be a fan and still demand better, by voting with your feet if necessary. Being a fan doesn't automatically mean you are stupid, at least not in Winnipeg.