Bombers to host 2015 Grey Cup

gbill2004

It appears to this observer Selinger's NDP are advancing monies to the bombers under the guise of 'Grey Cup Set-Up' when in fact these monies are being used to cover 'design negligence flaws'. Rather than being transparent and just anteeing up the money with the stated purpose of upgrading whats basically still an unfinished stadium they fear public questioning so the money can be transferred more easily under the Grey Cup premise. 

btw - what happened to the idea that the main contractor was responsible for everything?

Maybe this is me just being a simpleton but when I hear "Grey Cup in Winnipeg", I'm not bothered by the 4 million dollar "grant" or the profit not matching up with the money the government is giving us or any of that stuff. Politicians want to politic? Let them. The Grey Cup means a huge economic boost to this city, it means a great party right in our own backyard and it means an extra incentive for the Bombers to improve their on-field product in short order.

Sounds good to me.

The following article by Wpg Free Press writer BaRLEY kIVEs sums up some of the cost components and separates them quite nicely. 

It appears the province is advancing the bombers much more than I originally wrote about. 3.5 mill. for the pipe fix, 4 mil. for the Grey Cup deal, 1.5 mill. for other. 

The real gist of the article is the blithering incompetence of the stadium design team and the aspect of Stu Olson Dominion suddenly going ignorant and just following weak plans to a t.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/rise-in-stadium-cost-just-leaves-me-cold-252590251.html

This is something that often gets misunderstood by people who are overly negative about everything (some media types).  We can debate the role of government all we want to.  But much like the argument of the province "giving" True North money every year, you can either take the position its a gift or you can take the position its an investment.

If the Province "gives" the Bombers $4 million to secure the Grey Cup and it generates $100 million in economic spinoff, thats a good investment.  Especially if the Province gets their "gift" back from the direct Grey Cup profits (not to mention taxes).

Maybe this is me just being a simpleton but when I hear "Grey Cup in Winnipeg", I'm not bothered by the 4 million dollar "grant" or the profit not matching up with the money the government is giving us or any of that stuff. Politicians want to politic? Let them. The Grey Cup means a huge economic boost to this city, it means a great party right in our own backyard and it means an extra incentive for the Bombers to improve their on-field product in short order.

Sounds good to me.

And this totally it for me also.

An announcement like this is supposed to be totally exciting and geared to create a positive environment for the next two years as we progress towards that date.

Honestly, the politics involved should be kept separate and maybe relegated to another thread.

That distraction should have nothing to do with this upcoming gala.

Let us enjoy this for what it is and what we can make it.

This will be great for Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba.

Even Paul Wiecek, of all people, gets it.  There's better things to be mad about than the inexpensive stadium we just got needing some relatively cheap additions/upgrades so we can host Grey Cups and Heritage Classics.

How many people here were negatively affected by the outdoor press box last year? Anyone? Other than having to listen to the initial crying/laughing in the media and the gleeful condescension from out of town reporters who don't even cover the CFL. That was pretty painful.

The non-winterized plumbing also doesn't seem to have caused any problems so far, since we didn't have to suddenly host a surprise Grey Cup this year.

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 5h

Even at $210 million, Investors Group Field is a ridiculous bargain. Seriously- check out the comparables. Only Winnipeggers would complain.

Paul Wiecek @PaulWiecek 5h

It's the MTS Centre debate all over again. Anyone today still think $130 million was too much to pay for that place? Get a grip.

...also, does anyone remember how hard it was to get that place built on time, even after a year extension?  Are we really going to be mad that some corners were cut that are now going to be done well before we need them anyways? 

I suppose this isn't the end of the gift giving either, there's still another $3.5 million needed for the current improvements being made. Yeah, we're getting the stadium for a good price, but not even close to what was stated early on...... jumping from $115 million to $145 million, then from $160 to $190 + $10 million for "upgrades", then another $4 million ($500k "paid for" by Asper) and now another $3.5 million (for winterizing which should have been done beforehand) and still no bubble dome. Should have just hired people who've actually designed and built a stadium before and told Asper to take a hike. If I'd have known that the Province was willing to pay $4.1 million for an incomplete stadium design, I would have submitted something as well.

I do love how much bitching, whining and complaining that comes from people who love the stadium and go to games and events there. You would think the city asked for their first born to get this done and yet what was the end cost to "the people"? Like 10 dollars annually in taxes?

Smh. This city thrives on getting to ***** about the dumbest **** possible..

I do love how much bitching, whining and complaining that comes from people who love the stadium and go to games and events there. You would think the city asked for their first born to get this done and yet what was the end cost to "the people"? Like 10 dollars annually in taxes?

Smh. This city thrives on getting to ***** about the dumbest **** possible..

How do you know it's the people going to the stadium who are doing the bitching?  I feel like it's the people who never leave their house who are the ones whining and crying about everything.

The fear - and this is lost on many is that IGF may become a money pit. Obviously, the builder just laid down a basic standard V6 with no power steering, disc brakes, etc. on the premises. Old 8 track sound system (awesome sound on those old 8trax btw), no insulation cuz they thought the bomber seasons started in July and usually ended in late October, early November. 

I don't think the government or the team BBB can put a limit on the money draw. When something fails the NDP govt. will either issue an in-house order transferring the necessary funds to repair or patch the next problem that pops up. Doesn't matter if the final tag becomes $240 million or $340 million. 

As for W. Miller he's smart. The team doesn't own the stadium. They just use it under the agreement. So when things crumble the last thing to happen is the Bombers paying for repairs. 

I kinda agree with how Miller is handling this aspect. 

I suppose this isn't the end of the gift giving either, there's still another $3.5 million needed for the current improvements being made. Yeah, we're getting the stadium for a good price, but not even close to what was stated early on...... jumping from $115 million to $145 million, then from $160 to $190 + $10 million for "upgrades", then another $4 million ($500k "paid for" by Asper) and now another $3.5 million (for winterizing which should have been done beforehand) and still no bubble dome. Should have just hired people who've actually designed and built a stadium before and told Asper to take a hike. If I'd have known that the Province was willing to pay $4.1 million for an incomplete stadium design, I would have submitted something as well.

I think Asper doing what he did to 'trick' Selinger into cutting the initial cheque, then a long term loan and now a death thru a million papercuts was nicely set up. Selinger is on the hook for almost everything now and using the idea that he's negotiating with Stuart Olson Dominion to see who eventually pays for the upgrades is farcical. Selinger took on the project and now he's being buried in it. 

Come on Nate. It's not "obvious" the builder laid down a poor stadium at all. They rushed to complete it. Were their issues. Sure. Show me a

Project of this magnitude that doesn't have change orders and issues. It's a great facility. They left out a few things to get it done and get it done "around" budget. Upgrades are being done and can be afforded.

Asper didn't trick anyone. No one can say (at least not accurately) that Asper didn't truly, deeply want to build a stadium and own the bombers. The guy bleeds blue and gold. He really is the one that brought the stadium issue to the fore and kept pushing and pushing to get it done.

I know it's your gimmick to be critical of everyone but that's OB-ish.

And I agree with the people complaining about the complainers. Most of the whiners don't like sports and won't go to IGF and are just a bunch of whiners. I remember people calling I to CjoB so angry it was being built in south Winnipeg because CIS was closer for them. Uh yeah but far for me. Now it's close. You can't have a stadium in everyone's back yard.

It's like what Bryan little said today "only in Winnipeg would people complain about the birth of a child". Whinerpeg is right.