Bombers to host 2015 Grey Cup

gbill2004

There was a rumour awhile back about WBB FC teaming with True North to offer a special "2-for-1" ticket option for both events, so you could have the same seat for both. I would definitely be down for that...

There was a rumour awhile back about WBB FC teaming with True North to offer a special "2-for-1" ticket option for both events, so you could have the same seat for both. I would definitely be down for that...

I doubt that would work. Bomber season ticket holders will get first opportunity at their seats for the Grey Cup and I assume Jets season ticket holders will get first opportunity at the outdoor Jets game.

I doubt that would work. Bomber season ticket holders will get first opportunity at their seats for the Grey Cup and I assume Jets season ticket holders will get first opportunity at the outdoor Jets game.

Obviously there probably would be a strategic plan in place where the window would close where STH for both teams to purchase the tickets for either/or.  Once that passes, I image a 2 for 1 sale would go well.

Something Lawless mentioned while discussing this on H&L yesterday was the Press Box.  Obviously, it needs to be upgraded and they are doing so at a cost of $350,000.  David Asper is footing the bill.  It was origionally going to be a sponsorship deal with his new hotel (I believe the one at P&M) but since they are not proceeding with that project, he is simply paying for the construction.  Lawless said "adding it to his corporate suite bill".

Alot of anti-Asper rhetoric out there and while I understand some of it (and dont intend to start an Asper debate) no one can say David isn't a very, very good friend to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  Good for him.

Something Lawless mentioned while discussing this on H&L yesterday was the Press Box.  Obviously, it needs to be upgraded and they are doing so at a cost of $350,000.  David Asper is footing the bill.  It was origionally going to be a sponsorship deal with his new hotel (I believe the one at P&M) but since they are not proceeding with that project, he is simply paying for the construction.  Lawless said "adding it to his corporate suite bill".

Alot of anti-Asper rhetoric out there and while I understand some of it (and dont intend to start an Asper debate) no one can say David isn't a very, very good friend to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.  Good for him.

And the Bisons.

Asper isn't doing it for free, I assume. His company will be paid quite well for the work. I am sure the work wasn't tendered so he'll pocket that money.

Asper isn't doing it for free, I assume. His company will be paid quite well for the work. I am sure the work wasn't tendered so he'll pocket that money.

So he is going to be paid quite well ..... by himself?   

From what I understand of the deal, it is more of a trade.  Where he will put up the press box in exchange for his box suite being paid for X amount of years.

So of course the work wasn't tendered, who else would do that deal?

The Aspers didn't become multi millionaires by doing things for free. Or bartering. Why couldn't this job be tendered? In the big picture, I don't care who does it as I live in Calgary but sometimes I wonder how the business of that stadium was constructed. The big press box mistake will be corrected finally. What an embarrassment.

Rich is right -- it's what, in media, we call "Contra"....a barter system of sorts. And because the whole thing is an advertising expense, it's all a write off. This is definitely the case...no question.

Either way, how many people were racing to the table to put up the money?  Thats a good deal for the Bombers if they get a $350,000 press box in exchange for advertising.  A very good deal in deed.  its clear Asper loves this team.  Regardless of whatever, he's the type of guy I like having around because he bleeds blue & gold.