Bombers add 2 MORE imports

Here's some video on Urrutia: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oNzaH4S-_-Y.

1 - Looks like pretty good hands with an Arena sized ball - hopefully going to the bigger CFL ball won't be a problem

2 - Looks like he won't have any trouble with plays that require him to waggle... nor fighting through a DB coming off of the waggle

3 - I'm concerned that he is too used to playing against DB's who are hopelessly outmatched by him on a size basis... He won't have as easy a fight to get those balls in the CFL

Plus the receiver caught passes from Boltus. That has to count for something.

Well that certainly helps explain the Boltus hiring, and, why Boltus thought he could just throw the ball anywhere close to a receiver and believe the receiver would come up with it.

Problem was, he didn't get the ball anywhere near enough to a receiver, and we had no one on our roster named Dirt, who seemed to be Boltus's favourite target. 

1 - Looks like pretty good hands with an Arena sized ball - hopefully going to the bigger CFL ball won't be a problem

2 - Looks like he won't have any trouble with plays that require him to waggle... nor fighting through a DB coming off of the waggle

3 - I'm concerned that he is too used to playing against DB's who are hopelessly outmatched by him on a size basis... He won't have as easy a fight to get those balls in the CFL

1. Is the arena ball same size as the NFL?

2. good call, looks like he was the guy in motion on a lot of plays

3. How many CFL DBs are that much over 6'? I think he will still have size mismatches...

1. Is the arena ball same size as the NFL?

2. good call, looks like he was the guy in motion on a lot of plays

3. How many CFL DBs are that much over 6'? I think he will still have size mismatches...

Yeah the only guy he's going to be matched up with in height is Watkins, who was Chris Matthews' nemesis.

@DarrinBauming: Based on the several 40-yard-dash times I can dig up, Mario Urrutia and Chris Matthews appear to have similar straight-line speed. #Bombers

@DarrinBauming: Urrutia was a 7th-round NFL pick in 2008, spending time with Cincy, NY Jets, Tampa, then the UFL. Named 2013 Arena League Rookie of the Year

@DarrinBauming: New #Bombers WR Mario Urrutia (pronounced Ya-rudy-Ah) played at the University of Louisville with new Bombers QB Brian Brohm from 2005-2007.

2008 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville

After two impressive seasons, it looked like Mario Urrutia was primed to have a monster junior year and rocket up the draft boards. However, he missed four total games with injuries and was not at his best for the most part, catching only 35 passes for 501 yards and three touchdowns. Despite the disappointing year, Urrutia is going to skip his senior season and enter the draft, because of his injury issues. "It's by far the toughest decision I've ever made," Urrutia said, according to the report on CBS Sportsline (12/14). "Unfortunately, with missing time this season and playing injured I got to see football from a different perspective. You only have so much time to play this sport, and the 2008 draft is my opportunity." Despite the fact that staying in school for his senior year would have been his best bet for his draft prospects, his decision is understandable. But, in a class that's expected to be full of receivers, where does he fit in? He's not blazing fast by any means, but he has great big-play ability (just like his teammate Harry Douglas, who's expected to go in the first couple of rounds).

He started his collegiate career with 519 yards in the first four games, during which he caught passes of 69, 66, 76, and 73 yards. In his three-year career, he has averaged 17.5 yards per catch (130 for 2,271) and scored 16 touchdowns. While Douglas is the faster of the two, Urrutia is the big man, with his size giving him a height advantage over almost everyone on the field, not just the defensive backs. On the next level, he has to use that advantage to the fullest.

While the injuries are going to be a concern for teams, consistency may be as well, as he hasn't strung together back to back 100-yard games since his freshman year and has also struggled mightily with drops throughout his career. He also received not one, but two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a game against Syracuse this season. How fast he runs at the combine shouldn't make a difference, because his penchant for making the big play should say it all.

The biggest thing for him at the combine might be showing he can hold onto the ball and if he can do that, that should help him tremendously. He has first-round size and first-round talent and could be a big-time receiver in the NFL, if he can overcome his present issues.

The negatives may knock him into the middle rounds; he has far too much potential to pass up for too long and if his decision to enter early does indeed prove to be the right one (and if he can stay healthy and consistently showcase the talent that he showed at times at Louisville years down the line), it won't matter where he was drafted.

Update (3/12/08): At last month's combine in Indianapolis, Urrutia (who came in at 6'5, 232 pounds) ran a best of 4.58 in the 40-yard dash. Right now, Urrutia is projected as a late-round pick by NFL Draft Scout, but he has one more chance to boost his standing with Louisville's Pro Day on the 24th.

Candidate for the boundary WR spot.

Interesting the types of signings the new regime is making.  More of a lean towards highly touted guys from big NCAA schools more than under the radar guys from smaller schools, and guys who spent time in the NFL.

Watching those Arena football highlights also make me wonder why people pay to watch that but won't support minor league outdoor football in the US.  Arena football gives me a migraine.