Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Of course Sheets is an upgrade.

There's no reason for us (or any team other than Saskatchewan) to pursue him though. He'd cost a bundle and there's just no sense in paying a RB proven in one system to come play in another.

Your comment is a contradiction.. 

If hes and upgrade we should attempt to sign him at a rate that we can justify.  Then why do we pay for any free agents since our system is "different"

If he is a great RB, then he should be a great RB on a team that can setup similar situations for him to excel..

But seeing what has happened here the past 5 years, i guess we might not be able to create the situation.

So no simpson, or ford.. Then who?   I can see us letting ford walk if he is really overpriced, but why Simpson? Inuries alone i suppose/     We may end up with a really shitty RB when we probably need a great RB to take the pressure of our willy.

There's no reason for us (or any team other than Saskatchewan) to pursue him though. He'd cost a bundle and there's just no sense in paying a RB proven in one system to come play in another.

If hes and upgrade we should attempt to sign him at a rate that we can justify.

If he is a great RB, then he should be a great RB on a team that can setup similar situations for him to excel..

But seeing what has happened here the past 5 years, i guess we might not be able to create the situation.

So no simpson, or ford.. Then who?   I can see us letting ford walk if he is really overpriced, but why Simpson? Inuries alone i suppose/     We may end up with a really shitty RB when we probably need a great RB to take the pressure of our willy.

Your second sentence explains it all. The rate we could justify paying for Sheets is not a rate he will accept.

On top of that, he's already said he will go back to Saskatchewan if the NFL doesn't pan out.

If hes and upgrade we should attempt to sign him at a rate that we can justify.

Your second sentence explains it all. The rate we could justify paying for Sheets is not a rate he will accept.

On top of that, he's already said he will go back to Saskatchewan if the NFL doesn't pan out.

Plus, running backs are a dime a dozen.  Probably the easiest position on the roster to replace.

If hes and upgrade we should attempt to sign him at a rate that we can justify.  Then why do we pay for any free agents since our system is "different"

We have worst case scenario.  His last name rhymes with "borzon".

Plus, running backs are a dime a dozen.  Probably the easiest position on the roster to replace.

but... we haven't had a gooder since Roberts... OR to a lesser extent Ried.

I'm a big Garrett fan, he was a force to be reckoned with right up til his injury. Didn't exactly look out of place in Sask either.

but... we haven't had a gooder since Roberts... OR to a lesser extent Ried.

If Charles Roberts is the standard for RBs then you are always going to be disappointed. Guy was one of the all time greats.  Reid was good, Simpson was good, Garrett was good. You simply don't need to worry about rb because you go down to the states and you bring in 2 or 3 guys who can play no problems. 

Are we not short on NI experienced NI receivers?

Just providing a list of NI-WR we have on our roster right now (not commenting on their viability as starters):

Watson

Kohlert

Brescacin

Feoli-Guidino

Renaud (Taylor)

Fitzgerald (drafted with an H back type role in mind I believe)

Guys drafted and coming back:

Alli

(Not sure about DiCroce)

It's going to be interesting to see how they approach the ratio this season. 

Are we not short on NI experienced NI receivers?

Meh...there's no one on the market who's going to even be a solid role player at that spot.  Foster and Parker are both very limited players.  Parker adds some value on special teams as he's an incredible athlete, but still hasn't figured out the position of receiver.

Personally, given that this season is a write-off, I hope we give lots of time to guys like Feoli-Gudino and Brescacin who might be something.

Just a few thinking of how the ratio shakes out for us right now .. putting together a few ideas of who we might see as the 7 NIs .. thinking:

Greaves

Morley

Swiston / Pencer / Neufeld - they'll need one of these guys to step up and take a spot

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

Muamba / Newman / Bucknor

Depending on the package, probably see a healthy dose of Pontbriand and Fitzgerald as well ..  the interior of our line makes me want to vomit .. none of Greaves, Morley or Swiston (et al.) are guys that I'd consider anchors ..

Just a few thinking of how the ratio shakes out for us right now .. putting together a few ideas of who we might see as the 7 NIs .. thinking:

Greaves

Morley

Swiston / Pencer / Neufeld - they'll need one of these guys to step up and take a spot

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

Depending on the package, probably see a healthy dose of Pontbriand and Fitzgerald as well ..  the interior of our line makes me want to vomit .. none of Greaves, Morley or Swiston (et al.) are guys that I'd consider anchors ..

I agree re: inside o-line. It's scary. Sadly, the only way it's going to get better in the forseeable future is a prospect stepping up. Guys who can anchor an o-line just don't make it to free agency frequently enough to bank on that route. They could go for a trade, but the price is going to be high. It'll be a great day when we can stop fretting over the o-line.

Greaves

Morley

Watson

Kohlert

Lucas / Thomas

I agree re: inside o-line. It's scary. Sadly, the only way it's going to get better in the forseeable future is a prospect stepping up. Guys who can anchor an o-line just don't make it to free agency frequently enough to bank on that route. They could go for a trade, but the price is going to be high. It'll be a great day when we can stop fretting over the o-line.

I think Greaves has developed into a VERY solid Guard