Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Ironic you open the vault for an import WR. People on this forum have often stated you should be able to find IMPWR and RB. The priority in FA for this team should have been stocking NIPs an area sorely lacking for this team

Who says it isn't? Free Agency is 5 hours old. Contrary to popular belief, the Bombers don't have a list of names that they go through one by one from the top down. And NIs know their worth. Any desirable FA NI with an agent worth his salt who is truly testing the market doesn't sign in 5 hours.

Mike, who of the remaining FA's out there do you think would make the biggest impact for the Bombers this season?

Butler, no doubt.

But if we're out on him (as I suspect we are) then I would have to say the guys I'd really like to see us take a shot at would be Ted Laurent (when/if he starts listening to CFL offers), Swayze Waters and Jock Sanders.

Would he really be the biggest impact remaining FA for the Bombers if Graig Newman is ready to start, as some are saying?  One would think Butler's impact would be lessened by the presence of Newman and Sofa already here and startable (although Sofa might not be the best safety on the Rifles).

I heard we're bringing an import safety in too, I think his name is Chester Field or something like that.

Sofa, so good.

Ironic you open the vault for an import WR. People on this forum have often stated you should be able to find IMPWR and RB. The priority in FA for this team should have been stocking NIPs an area sorely lacking for this team

Who says it isn't? Free Agency is 5 hours old. Contrary to popular belief, the Bombers don't have a list of names that they go through one by one from the top down. And NIs know their worth. Any desirable FA NI with an agent worth his salt who is truly testing the market doesn't sign in 5 hours.

They only have one phone line though.  :(

Devil's Advocate...

Moore left a good situation for an uncertain one for $15,000.  Greg Carr?

Just saying you have a place where the QB and coaches trust you in a fairly stable successful environment and you leave for a little more money.  It could work out great or maybe not.  Big risk on his part.  

Glad he did it though.  Hopefully it works out better for us then it did for Edmonton when they signed Carr.  

175k+ annually for Nick Moore.

People will probably go nuts over that amount, but that's the going rate for receivers these days. He turned down 160k from BC.

Wow... a guy like Getzlaf must be worth $200k+ then... crazy.

You DO understand the concept of a ratio breaker, right? If 3 teams are all bidding for a 1k yards receiver then id see it go up.that high yup.

moore may have been an overpay BUT have we ever seen american receivers struggle with the nuances of the CFL game like we have in the last 2 plus seasons? So why not just pay a premium for a guy you know who gets "it" off the hop and has proven it..

Especially when our rook QB will need as many CFL ready as possible to make his life easier..

moore may have been an overpay BUT have we ever seen american receivers struggle with the nuances of the CFL game like we have in the last 2 plus seasons? So why not just pay a premium for a guy you know who gets "it" off the hop and has proven it..

Especially when our rook QB will need as many CFL ready as possible to make his life easier..

Moore may not be as much of a sure thing as you are painting it. He's still a bit of a risk, but it's a potential high reward that Walters obviously feels comfortable taking. It's entirely possible that last season for Moore was an aberration, but it might also be that he's just breaking out and the Bombers scooped him up at the right time. Which it is remains to be seen and they paid quite a bit of money to find out. If it works out no one will complain and they'll praise Walters for a shrewd move, if it doesn't pan out it'll be an overpay for an american receiver that you can find anywhere. We all hope it's the first option not the second one. 

Hate this line of thinking for IMP WR's.  They have no idea how to play the waggle effectively at the pro level until they come up here.

IMP RB's though... the OL figures in too much to invest large $$ in the RB.

Devil's Advocate...

Moore left a good situation for an uncertain one for $15,000.  Greg Carr?

Just saying you have a place where the QB and coaches trust you in a fairly stable successful environment and you leave for a little more money.  It could work out great or maybe not.  Big risk on his part.  

Glad he did it though.  Hopefully it works out better for us then it did for Edmonton when they signed Carr.  

Pretty good comparison.  I just remember watching Greg Carr thinking that outside of his pair of stilts, I thought he was terribly average.

I'm far more comfortable putting the extra $15k out there on Nick Moore than I would be on Greg Carr.