Miles or Marshall...

Floyd

Mediocrity is more like it.. Marshall's defenses never put fear into opposition offenses..

Kind of like Tim Burke's defense of the last two years?  I'm sure opposing teams were shaking in their boots.

Let's be honest with each other, there is a lot more than the coach that goes into how a defense performs.

I'm thinking if we are going to make any noise this year, it is going to be because Mr. Walters finds us a couple nice free agents.  Overall, the players are going to make more of a difference than the coach.  Just my opinion.

Mediocrity is more like it.. Marshall's defenses never put fear into opposition offenses..

Kind of like Tim Burke's defense of the last two years?  I'm sure opposing teams were shaking in their boots.

Let's be honest with each other, there is a lot more than the coach that goes into how a defense performs.

I'm thinking if we are going to make any noise this year, it is going to be because Mr. Walters finds us a couple nice free agents.  Overall, the players are going to make more of a difference than the coach.  Just my opinion.

Again...Tim Burke sucks as a motivator.  He had Coach Harris helping him out before that.  Notice after he died the defense started sucking?

Again...Tim Burke sucks as a motivator.  He had Coach Harris helping him out before that.  Notice after he died the defense started sucking?

No, I think the loss of Harris affected LaPo more. Once he was gone, Lapo couldn't recover. 

I am far more concerned with the quality of the players than the quality of the DC.

Marshall as DC + a ferocious D-line + DB's that can cover would be far better than Burke or Jones or Miles as DC + a bunch of pylons and 5 foot 6 DB's who Tweet more than cover. 

And it's really funny how Saskatchewan fans feel so cocky.

I guess too many were at the Grey Cup game that they didn't notice that TSN basically ridiculed the city of Regina throughout the Grey Cup broadcast -- between the painful half-smiles of the broadcast crew, to the tweets about the poor facilities and barren landscapes, it was 3 hour shot at Regina.

CFL News @CFL_News53m

Either Barron Miles or Greg Marshall will be the new defensive co-ordinator for the #Bombers. #CFL

If it's Miles, it will be defensive coordinating by committee with O'Shea's background and all.

What makes you say that?  Just because O'S used to be a linebacker?  He's never coached positionally before, let alone coordinated a defense. 

Despite that, the sense I'm getting from him anyways, is that he is the type to just let his guys do their jobs.  He'll have his plate full enough. 

True but by your logic O'Shea shouldn't be a head coach either just because he's been a special teams coordinator. As well, coaching by committee can work if done appropriately. It's not about the head coach wearing multiple hats (like lapo did with his head coaching duties and the offense), it's about the coaching team actually operating as high performing team where each individual knows when to lead, knows when to follow and knows when the get the he'll out of the way. All coaches need to be receptive to other coaches inputs but not obligated to enact it. O'Shea can provide input and empower his coaches. It can be done if he has that special skill set to do it.

That's not my logic at all.  I'm not saying that Miles shouldn't be a DC. I'm also not saying that "coaching by committee" doesn't work.  What I am saying is that we have a rookie HC that will be busy instilling his own culture and philosophies into this team.  He should be working hard at building a coaching staff that can run their departments effectively. O'Shea is not in a position to be worrying about involving himself with the defense, regardless if he would be qualified to do so or not.

I can't remember writing that you said Miles shouldn't be a DC. Originally you questioned my logic on O'Shea taking more of a part in our DC and I felt, based on what you wrote, you weren't being consistent then with your thought process when looking at other individuals. The obvious point you make, at least to me, is yes he needs to hire coaches to run their areas competently and effectively. If that wasn't the case, then oh boy we're in trouble. I didn't suggest O'Shea should be worrying about involving himself with the defense, I simply suggested, based on Miles coaching experience, along with my interpretations of what I've seen from him so far, is once the rubber hits the road, he will probably play a more significant role in how we lay out our defensive strategies. But, ultimately, taking the philosophy of empowering his coaches as the main decision makers in their respective departments. At the end of the day, I guess it's the mindset one takes when coaching by committee. If the worry and micro manager factor is enacted, then it is no longer a team approach and ultimately will fail. But if it's more of a, 'hey, here's my input based on my experience, what I've seen, expertise etc, hope it helps' then more chance for success. This actually fits nicely into your point of instilling a certain type of culture knowing it's not his culture, it's about him trying to provide some direction and model what it needs to look like for this team to be successful. This to me is what sets a great head coach apart from a good head coach. A good example, although not football, would be the head coach of the Nashville Predators, Barry Trotz. My educated guess is that his shelf life is not a result of his control over all on-ice hockey decisions and/or his specific x's and o's hockey knowledge, it's signficatly based on his keen ability to lead/inflluence a type of culture individuals connected to that organization subscribe too and resonate with.     

CFL News @CFL_News53m

Either Barron Miles or Greg Marshall will be the new defensive co-ordinator for the #Bombers. #CFL

If it's Miles, it will be defensive coordinating by committee with O'Shea's background and all.

What makes you say that?  Just because O'S used to be a linebacker?  He's never coached positionally before, let alone coordinated a defense. 

Despite that, the sense I'm getting from him anyways, is that he is the type to just let his guys do their jobs.  He'll have his plate full enough. 

True but by your logic O'Shea shouldn't be a head coach either just because he's been a special teams coordinator. As well, coaching by committee can work if done appropriately. It's not about the head coach wearing multiple hats (like lapo did with his head coaching duties and the offense), it's about the coaching team actually operating as high performing team where each individual knows when to lead, knows when to follow and knows when the get the he'll out of the way. All coaches need to be receptive to other coaches inputs but not obligated to enact it. O'Shea can provide input and empower his coaches. It can be done if he has that special skill set to do it.

That's not my logic at all.  I'm not saying that Miles shouldn't be a DC. I'm also not saying that "coaching by committee" doesn't work.  What I am saying is that we have a rookie HC that will be busy instilling his own culture and philosophies into this team.  He should be working hard at building a coaching staff that can run their departments effectively. O'Shea is not in a position to be worrying about involving himself with the defense, regardless if he would be qualified to do so or not.

I can't remember writing that you said Miles shouldn't be a DC. Originally you questioned my logic on O'Shea taking more of a part in our DC and I felt, based on what you wrote, you weren't being consistent then with your thought process when looking at other individuals. The obvious point you make, at least to me, is yes he needs to hire coaches to run their areas competently and effectively. If that wasn't the case, then oh boy we're in trouble. I didn't suggest O'Shea should be worrying about involving himself with the defense, I simply suggested, based on Miles coaching experience, along with my interpretations of what I've seen from him so far, is once the rubber hits the road, he will probably play a more significant role in how we lay out our defensive strategies. But, ultimately, taking the philosophy of empowering his coaches as the main decision makers in their respective departments. At the end of the day, I guess it's the mindset one takes when coaching by committee. If the worry and micro manager factor is enacted, then it is no longer a team approach and ultimately will fail. But if it's more of a, 'hey, here's my input based on my experience, what I've seen, expertise etc, hope it helps' then more chance for success. This actually fits nicely into your point of instilling a certain type of culture knowing it's not his culture, it's about him trying to provide some direction and model what it needs to look like for this team to be successful. This to me is what sets a great head coach apart from a good head coach. A good example, although not football, would be the head coach of the Nashville Predators, Barry Trotz. My educated guess is that his shelf life is not a result of his control over all on-ice hockey decisions and/or his specific x's and o's hockey knowledge, it's signficatly based on his keen ability to lead/inflluence a type of culture individuals connected to that organization subscribe too and resonate with.     

There's one thing in simply providing some input here or there when it comes to any part of team whether it's offence, defence or special teams.  A good head coach shouldn't have to do more than that.  If you're implying more that than then your definition of "coaching by committee" must be different than mine.

A little disappointed that Miles is staying with the Riders, would be really disappointed if we end up with Etch or Marshall as DC though.

Bring on Tom Higgins as the DC.

A little disappointed that Miles is staying with the Riders, would be really disappointed if we end up with Etch or Marshall as DC though.

Bring on Tom Higgins as the DC.

He was never been a DC in his long career but got total of 4 years of experience as DL coach.

Though his experience alone and familiarity with the CFL rules will be a great asset to us.

I think I would be on this bandwagon if its wheels actually hit the road.

Going to have to accept that we will not be getting a decent DC this year.

The club is regarded as a bad place to be -- we need to change that by running things properly for at least a year. This will attract better coaches, which will attract better players. 

If Miller/Walters run the club properly and we actually get a QB, I would not be surprised if we punt both Marcel and whomever we get to DC this year for the start of the 2015 season.

Going to have to accept that we will not be getting a decent DC this year.

The club is regarded as a bad place to be -- we need to change that by running things properly for at least a year. This will attract better coaches, which will attract better players. 

If Miller/Walters run the club properly and we actually get a QB, I would not be surprised if we punt both Marcel and whomever we get to DC this year for the start of the 2015 season.

Why would we punt them if we show signs of a turnaround?  So that we can change coaches and schemes again after a year of acquiring players to fit them?  And what would punting 2 more coaches do to this image you're painting of Winnipeg being a bad place to be?

Anybody who calls the majority of our team garbage and unilaterally states nobody wants to come here, without any proof, and dismisses our OC and our yet unnamed DC, can be regarded as having a defeatist attitude even if you believe you're being realistic.

I see nothing positive in your ENTIRE postings.

And of course we'll have to earn respect, but you're severely undervaluing the recent personnel that has been hired.

Maybe waiting until the entire staff has been hired and free agency has arrived and draft day has breezed by before we start hanging low.

I do think the past regime & their actions are hurting us now recruiting great coaches but... if we can improve on the field & have a business like professional approach by the organization to winning we will eventually get the great coaches to come here. But I do think that qualified coaches are holding off coming here until they see proof of change. I think that is what BriceDream is trying to say. The key to winning is to look after the little things as well as the big ones.

I do think the past regime & their actions are hurting us now recruiting great coaches but... if we can improve on the field & have a business like professional approach by the organization to winning we will eventually get the great coaches to come here. But I do think that qualified coaches are holding off coming here until they see proof of change. I think that is what BriceDream is trying to say. The key to winning is to look after the little things as well as the big ones.

Exactly. We can't expect pedigree people (players or coaches) to suddenly WANT to be here after the veritable circus this place has been, especially when they have other options.

I'm cool with a Marcel and Marshall type of coaching staff; I'm also cool with another non-playoff year. As long as the team is run professionally and intelligently, we will be back in the running for quality personnel within a year.

So in fact, I am more positive than a lot of you guys who suddenly "demand" respect from the media or other teams fans. 

Years ago, I coached with a guy who was in his early 20's. He was 10-15 years younger than the other coaches on the team. The organization we were with thought he was ready for the step up to HC but he wasn't as he was too young. He was made HC of the bantam team we coached on. He became very bossy & demanding, yelling at the players & coaches constantly. There was lots of tension & arguing going on at practices especially. Turns out he wasn't a bad guy. He was just young & thought that if he yelled a lot that he would get our (coaches) respect. Well, after the President of the team sat him down he learned that he needed to earn our respect as coaches not just demand it. Being constantly in a coaches grill solves nothing. Once he realized that, he was fine. I kind of see the same thing going on here with the Bombers. We as fans, want this team to demand respect from other organizations. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The Bombers will have to earn it by being professional in everything we do from now on.

maybe we just don't hire a DC this year and just run the Chewbacca defense all year instead.

“”Cochran ...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!Gerald Broflovski Damn it!... He's using the Chewbacca defense!Cochran Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.."

This is a really well-thought out and explained post that I do agree with.  Just don't agree that canning your coaches after one year (when it's a good one) improves the outlook of the Bombers organization to the coaching pool.

maybe we just don't hire a DC this year and just run the Chewbacca defense all year instead.

“”Cochran ...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!Gerald Broflovski Damn it!... He's using the Chewbacca defense!Cochran Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.."

And I'm the one drinking too much caffeine?

;)

“”Cochran ...ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!Gerald Broflovski Damn it!... He's using the Chewbacca defense!Cochran Why would a Wookiee, an eight-foot tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of two-foot tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.."

And I'm the one drinking too much caffeine?

;)

Well, ya. You've seen the south park episode this is referenced from, right? If not, quick synopsis is that johnny cochran uses this "defense" to get OJ Simpson aquitted..