Quarterback

pigseye

Not sure why Collaros would sign with Toronto for backup money when he could be a starter somewhere else. Ray already makes a boat load. They are limited on what they can offer Collaros

Could the Argo's make a "deal" with Ottawa not to take Ray if they re-sign Collaros and leave RR unprotected?

I don't think they could sign Collaros for a salary where they could keep both with out seriously damaging other parts of their roster.

Yeah it's either Ray OR Collaros next season.  I can't think of any scenario at this point where both are on the Argo's roster next season.

Collaros.  Because I've got a serious mancrush on him being our next QB.

And because I think that if Walters has the green light to acquire a QB, that he goes after the best available.  Collaros is not only young... he's capable, appears to have leadership qualities, and has that "it factor" that good QB's have.  

I'd love Ricky Ray; but I just think that there's no way the Argos let a 3-4 year minimum elite QB like Ray go.  No matter how highly they value Collaros.  When you have 3-4 years more of elite QB play ahead of you, you don't gamble that you may have 10+ years of future eliteness in the bullpen.  Right, Tillman?

The two situations are not really comparable.  Edmonton did not have anyone who showed anything remotely close to what Collaros has, plus Ray has missed significant portions of the last two seasons.  Generally when QB's start missing half seasons due to shoulder injuries their careers are in peril.  There is a tough decision for the Argos to make.

In my opinion this is the list of most likely QB to be the starter next year. 1 is most likely.

1. Zack Collaros

2. Kevin Glenn

3. Ricky Ray

4. Drew Tate

4. Henry Burris

5. Drew Willy

6. My dream QB Brock Jensen NDSU

I have Ray so high because its going to come down to who the Argo's want to keep good chance with his salary that Ray might be the guy on the outside.

Thoughts or give your own list

Unfortunately, I would still have to put Goltz and Hall higher up on the list....

There's no way the Argo's can afford Ray and Collaros. I'm hoping we make a legitimate push for Collaros, I think he would be good here. I also don't believe the "Winnipeg has insignificant coaching" argument that's been going around lately. We DO need better coaching in place for our young QB's, but coaching isn't the difference between Goltz and Collaros or BLM and Hall.

Reilly in Edmonton is a pretty good example. He's had a phenomenal year, yet the offensive coaching has been under scrutiny all year.

There's no way the Argo's can afford Ray and Collaros. I'm hoping we make a legitimate push for Collaros, I think he would be good here. I also don't believe the "Winnipeg has insignificant coaching" argument that's been going around lately. We DO need better coaching in place for our young QB's, but coaching isn't the difference between Goltz and Collaros or BLM and Hall.

Reilly in Edmonton is a pretty good example. He's had a phenomenal year, yet the offensive coaching has been under scrutiny all year.

Phenomenal is a bit of a stretch. 

Really?  Coaching doesn't matter?  Reilly had two years in BC.  Collaros has Milanovich, Maas, Brady and Ray who all played in the CFL at QB.  You think that doesn't make a difference in terms of developing a QB?  2 of our offensive coaches are in their first CFL job as a coach or player, the other 2 are Howell and Bellefeuille, essentially a rookie and a coach with a so-so record as both an OC and head coach, and no track record of developing quarterbacks, other than failed ones.  Mostly leaned on scrapped vets like Marcus Crandell and Kevin Glenn.

Really?  Coaching doesn't matter?  Reilly had two years in BC.  Collaros has Milanovich, Maas, Brady and Ray who all played in the CFL at QB.  You think that doesn't make a difference in terms of developing a QB?  2 of our offensive coaches are in their first CFL job as a coach or player, the other 2 are Howell and Bellefeuille, essentially a rookie and a coach with a so-so record as both an OC and head coach, and no track record of developing quarterbacks, other than failed ones.  Mostly leaned on scrapped vets like Marcus Crandell and Kevin Glenn.

Well said, which in part is why us going after Collaros worries me a little bit as he has a great staff around him, and we don't know who our next coach will be. Of course, if we're lucky and it happens to be Dickenson, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

The guy has done pretty well. You can't take that away from Reilly. We get a pretty good indication of how things may have gone with him as our starting qb. The Esks OL has been as bad or worse than ours. They haven't any better running attack than we have but where they have an edge is at receiver with Stamps & Coehoorn who are better than any of the receivers we have. Coaching is certainly no better. Would we have won any more games? Doubtful but the future at the qb position would be a lot brighter with Reilly here than not.

I'm not dredging up the "Why didn't Mack sign Reilley" debate. That ship has sailed. Don't want to discuss it. Just that the guy has done pretty well on a bad football team. And I could see similar numbers passing wise here. I don't like his style of play as he is going to have a short career if he doesn't smarten up but I think he's done as well as a lot of football fans suspected he would.

Makes a really great case for Dickenson for HC, with a Jason Maas type at OC or at least QB coach, wouldn't it?

If the Bombers are serious about finally developing a winning calibre QB... this line of thinking would be a really refreshing change of course for the WBB.  Depends on how serious the WBB decide they want to be about developing both a winning culture, and one in which a QB prospect can thrive.

Makes a really great case for Dickenson for HC, with a Jason Maas type at OC or at least QB coach, wouldn't it?

If the Bombers are serious about finally developing a winning calibre QB... this line of thinking would be a really refreshing change of course for the WBB.  Depends on how serious the WBB decide they want to be about developing both a winning culture, and one in which a QB prospect can thrive.

Dickenson as head coach, Khari Jones as OC, please please please please please

Dickenson as head coach, Khari Jones as OC, please please please please please

We'll have to throw big bucks at Dickenson to get him out of his comfy gig in Calgary.  Hope we are prepared to do that because the dividends could pay off nicely.

We'll have to throw big bucks at Dickenson to get him out of his comfy gig in Calgary.  Hope we are prepared to do that because the dividends could pay off nicely.

well I would hope that after the last few years they'd have learned that cheaping out on head coaches can wind up costing you more in the long run. 

Couldn't agree more.  Want the team to be able to repay the stadium debt?  Sell out your 33,500 seats for all 9 regular season games, the preseason game, and yes, the playoff game.  When we're winning, fans will be spending. 

The big blue tiger's gotta change its stripes.  You get what you pay for.

Dickenson won't be leaving Calgary.  He's head coach in waiting there, we might be able to match what he's making now, but if we pay him Milanovich or Hufnagel money we won't be able to put a staff together.  Not to mention the mess he'd be wading into her vs the stability in Calgary.  It doesn't hurt to try to get an interview with him, but like Milanovich in 2010 it is a high probability that Dickenson has no interest.

Dickenson won't be leaving Calgary.  He's head coach in waiting there, we might be able to match what he's making now, but if we pay him Milanovich or Hufnagel money we won't be able to put a staff together.  Not to mention the mess he'd be wading into her vs the stability in Calgary.  It doesn't hurt to try to get an interview with him, but like Milanovich in 2010 it is a high probability that Dickenson has no interest.

Bullshit. Don't tell me we can't afford him. We've got just as much money as anyone, even if a lot of it's "hush hush" under-the-table stuff. If we've gotta overpay to get the right guy, then they'll do it. I'm certain Miller knows the story, and the mucky-mucks have learned their lesson. 

They'll target the right guy and make sure he's taken care of. 

Bullshit. Don't tell me we can't afford him. We've got just as much money as anyone, even if a lot of it's "hush hush" under-the-table stuff. If we've gotta overpay to get the right guy, then they'll do it. I'm certain Miller knows the story, and the mucky-mucks have learned their lesson. 

They'll target the right guy and make sure he's taken care of. 

You hope they'd learn... I'm still in the Hire Higgins camp as I think he'd be perfect for the job in every way. Experienced in both coaching & management. Knows what it takes to  win as he has a tremendous amount of CFL experience. Has an enormous amount of contacts in the NCAA & NFL, is universally respected, hires great assistants & lets them coach. He's also media friendly. He'd be the perfect guy except he would want to run the entire football operations himself so he'd have to be hired as GM as well as head coach. Would Miller let him? Would Walters pout expecting he'd get the gig??? Not convinced the Bombers would be prepared to do this even after this nightmare season. Will the Bombers would hire the right guy or go back to hiring people they know or on the cheap. Fork in the road for this team...