Old Bomber games

I've decided to watch old Bomber games wherever I can find them, as the off season continues to wear on me and I long for football.  Here's my first contribution:

EDIT:  I am pretty sure I was at this game, as a young man, as my dad was a season ticketholder in 1980 and I was able to go to most of the games with him.  The 1980 Bombers will forever be one of my favorite teams of all time.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I've decided to watch old Bomber games wherever I can find them, as the off season continues to wear on me and I long for football.  Here's my first contribution:

EDIT:  I am pretty sure I was at this game, as a young man, as my dad was a season ticketholder in 1980 and I was able to go to most of the games with him.  The 1980 Bombers will forever be one of my favorite teams of all time.

The Jauch and Brock connection. Some ugly football there. Anyone complaining about the quality of play in the CFL nowadays needs to watch some of these old tapes...lol. However, some of my faves on that team as well thanks for the link!!

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Montreal has a guy named Randy Rhino!!! RANDY RHINO!!! ... this is the greatest name I've ever heard... why have we never heard of this guy!?

32 minutes ago, johnzo said:

oh hell yeah, I've been feasting on old CFL during this long stupid offseason.

Just watched this one last weekend. Edmonton was the first victim of our 1984 championship run. We absolutely demolished them.

Here is a depressing thought for everyone watching these games from the 80s.

Watching a 1984 game today in 2023 is like watching a 1945 game in 1984 :) .

Yes, I feel old.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Montreal has a guy named Randy Rhino!!! RANDY RHINO!!! ... this is the greatest name I've ever heard... why have we never heard of this guy!?

LOL

I was shocked when I saw Fred Biletnikoff on the field for Montreal, I forgot that he came out of retirement in 1980.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Here is a depressing thought for everyone watching these games from the 80s.

Watching a 1984 game today in 2023 is like watching a 1945 game in 1984 :) .

Yes, I feel old.

Even worse since we're a couple months into 2024 now!

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

Randy Rhino was a well known player.  Played for 6 years, 3 time CFL all star and lead the league in punt returns.

Watching games from back in the day, it's astonishing the big hits that a QB was expected to absorb ... especially a guy like Hufnagel who played from the pocket a lot.  Like, check this play out, Huffer gets obliterated after he throws a gorgeous deep pass to Tuttle. No penalty, he bounces right back up.  Those guys were tough back then.

It's so awesome to have access to these old games, you can really see how the game has changed over the years.  It seems like it was around 2004-2005 when the CFL started making rules to try to keep quarterbacks alive.

Edited by johnzo

8 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Kennerd with the game winning point……on a missed 11 yard field goal. After having kicked one wide from 12 yards out earlier in the game. 

Kicking was so bad back in the day.  Kennard had a couple of seasons of <60% kicking and was always invited back.  Bernie Ruoff had a 50% year and a 40% year (!) early in his career but his career survived. 

I think it was around the turn of the millennium when the top kickers started regularly hitting 80%.

26 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Kicking was so bad back in the day.  Kennard had a couple of seasons of <60% kicking and was always invited back.  Bernie Ruoff had a 50% year and a 40% year (!) early in his career but his career survived. 

I think it was around the turn of the millennium when the top kickers started regularly hitting 80%.

There was a reason for that. When football started to transition to the "soccer style" kickers in the late 60's, they had no coaches anywhere who knew how to coach these new type of kickers. It took until the first wave of new kickers retired in the mid to late 70's & started coaching themselves that the kicking game slowly began to improve.

A lot of these kickers still had to play other positions. Ted Gerela was the CFL's first soccer style kicker but was also a linebacker for the Lions when he broke into the league in 1967/68. Guys used to practice alone with no coaching. They ended up practicing their mistakes & really not improving as kickers as no one was there to help them. Considering everything they went thru, these pioneers actually did okay.

Walt McKee was the Bombers first soccer style kicker in 1972 & he was a career 52% kicker. That was actually considered pretty good back then. The change was on as the kickers revolutionized the position. There are no more straight on kickers anymore. Today, kids as young as 10 years of age can sign up for kicking camps everywhere, It's no wonder that great kickers now have stats percentages in the mid to high 80's.

59 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Watching games from back in the day, it's astonishing the big hits that a QB was expected to absorb ... especially a guy like Hufnagel who played from the pocket a lot.  Like, check this play out, Huffer gets obliterated after he throws a gorgeous deep pass to Tuttle. No penalty, he bounces right back up.  Those guys were tough back then.

It's so awesome to have access to these old games, you can really see how the game has changed over the years.  It seems like it was around 2004-2005 when the CFL started making rules to try to keep quarterbacks alive.

I remember that fumble. What a killer mistake by Sean Kehoe. I think that was his last game as a Blue Bomber.

7 hours ago, bearpants said:

YOU never heard of him...

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember that fumble. What a killer mistake by Sean Kehoe. I think that was his last game as a Blue Bomber.

That game was a heartbreaker.  I really wanted to see Hufnagel start in a Grey Cup -- he was a good soldier backup all those years.

11 minutes ago, johnzo said:

That game was a heartbreaker.  I really wanted to see Hufnagel start in a Grey Cup -- he was a good soldier backup all those years.

In 1986, our three qbs were Tom Clements, John Hufnagel, Jim Zorn & on the PR Tom Muecke. I see Muecke was dressed & on the sidelines. Clements was out of the lineup with an injury so he was elevated to #3 qb position.

The game itself hasn't changed that much since 1986. I know Rich was talking about that if they went back 40 years from this game shown it would be 1946 but the same basic stuff is still going on. The equipment (helmets) are better & we have video replays. That fumble may have been overturned for a TD today if it touched the white end zone line. The game really changed from 1946-86 & not so much from 1986-2024.

I just remember being so pissed at Kehoe after that game. He had two jobs.... Find a hole & score & then PROTECT THE ******* BALL!!!!!!!

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The game itself hasn't changed that much since 1986. I know Rich was talking about that if they went back 40 years from this game shown it would be 1946 but the same basic stuff is still going on.

yeah, the main changes I see are in the formations -- shotgun was very rare back then and most teams were lining up with two backs. Calgary started using five and six receiver sets in 1990 and it was Hufnagel who pioneered that, according to cfl.ca: https://www.cfl.ca/2007/12/02/offences_can_thank__huff__for_six_pack_air_attack/

It's kind of nice to watch the old game without replay reviews.  Official makes the call and the game moves on, no delays.

Edited by johnzo

30 minutes ago, johnzo said:

yeah, the main changes I see are in the formations -- shotgun was very rare back then and most teams were lining up with two backs. Calgary started using five and six receiver sets in 1990 and it was Hufnagel who pioneered that, according to cfl.ca: https://www.cfl.ca/2007/12/02/offences_can_thank__huff__for_six_pack_air_attack/

It's kind of nice to watch the old game without replay reviews.  Official makes the call and the game moves on, no delays.

It nice with no reviews until you lose a game because of a bad call. Lol.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Prukop with Jackson lead blocking would have scored that TD. 

You can see the necessity of a short yardage team & why it came to be in the CFL. Even with the one yard off the LOS on the goal line, we couldn't score. It looks like Willard Reaves was out of the lineup so they had FB Sean Kehoe #35 & HB Pat Cantner #33 in the backfield. Cantner would have been replacing Reaves.

Kehoe was Reaves blocking back all season. Neither had any speed to go outside. All they could do was run straight ahead thru the A & B gaps & BC shut that down. With the receivers they had, the Bombers should have thrown the ball. Those 2 Canadian backs couldn't get the job done. What brutal playcalling by whoever was the Bombers OC at the time.

12 hours ago, johnzo said:

I think it was George Cortez of the Stamps who bamboozled the Esks in the 2001 Western Final coming out with the five & six pack receiver set for the first time as well. The Eskimo D had no idea how to stop it. You look at how innovative the Stamps were back then as well as the qb factory they had & look at them now. Just a shell...

23 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In 1986, our three qbs were Tom Clements, John Hufnagel, Jim Zorn & on the PR Tom Muecke. I see Muecke was dressed & on the sidelines. Clements was out of the lineup with an injury so he was elevated to #3 qb position.

The game itself hasn't changed that much since 1986. I know Rich was talking about that if they went back 40 years from this game shown it would be 1946 but the same basic stuff is still going on. The equipment (helmets) are better & we have video replays. That fumble may have been overturned for a TD today if it touched the white end zone line. The game really changed from 1946-86 & not so much from 1986-2024.

I just remember being so pissed at Kehoe after that game. He had two jobs.... Find a hole & score & then PROTECT THE ******* BALL!!!!!!!

that's three things