2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Crying about the likes and comments on his posts I guess? 

Not his. Someone else's. He seems to have figured out that people can and do buy followers. Usually those people have very little follower interactions (likes/comments) as their followers are actually just bots. Not sure why it seems to bug him so much though.

27 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not his. Someone else's. He seems to have figured out that people can and do buy followers. Usually those people have very little follower interactions (likes/comments) as their followers are actually just bots. Not sure why it seems to bug him so much though.

That does make sense but yeah idk why he’d be all worked up about it. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

He was definitely wasted on something.

He always sounds like that tho. Just less animated. He’s on the internet playing it up. Not sure why ppl can’t accept he’s just an obnoxious ******. 

It’s a good thing this draft has plenty of high level and ncaa talent. The athletic performance really wasn’t stellar for a lot of guys at the combine. Hladik fb who stands 6’4 230 and rb Anthony soles 6’2 220 ran best times of 5.0 and 5.19 in the 40. A lot of db/wr/lbers  in the 4.8 and slower range. Many of those guys filling out with 26-30” verts and single digit 225 reps. 
 I wonder how much of it is these guys not being polished in the track skills, and how much is just low athleticism. It’d be interesting to average out the positions or take the highest drafted lowest athletic outlier and chart the numbers vs the ras and nfl averages. 

Maybe the cfl should invest money in a program that helps provide strength and conditioning coaching to cis and junior players. 
 If the league managed to half the athletic difference from the average player at the nfl and cfl combine respectively, we would see a whole lot more value return from drafts and better calibre of play in the league. 

Looks like wr and dbs fared well in relation to 2023,  Deblanko improved his stock at lb, Dl were disappointing while oline seems stronger  as well Id be cautious with Haladik, and  Ouellette at fb, no higher than 3rd round. Chris Ikes at 225 lbs is intriguing with great speed and size

Edited by Pete

A lot of the DB's will be LB's in the CFL at this combine.  Some of the LB's will be edge types.

DB's and WR's showed pretty good.  There were only 2 receivers who ran 4.7 or worse.  See what they look like in battle drills.  I feel like Ajou Ajou is a guy that might fall right out of this draft.  Think there's a crew there that will be long-term CFLers. 

OL group at combine is pretty poor.  But most of the top 7-8 guys aren't there.  Dumoulin Duguay is a guy I could see us picking in Round 1.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

He always sounds like that tho. Just less animated. He’s on the internet playing it up. Not sure why ppl can’t accept he’s just an obnoxious ******. 

He 100% is. But obnoxious ******** can drink/smoke too and he was definitely on something. 

Edited by Jesse
Swearing made it through

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It’s a good thing this draft has plenty of high level and ncaa talent. The athletic performance really wasn’t stellar for a lot of guys at the combine. Hladik fb who stands 6’4 230 and rb Anthony soles 6’2 220 ran best times of 5.0 and 5.19 in the 40. A lot of db/wr/lbers  in the 4.8 and slower range. Many of those guys filling out with 26-30” verts and single digit 225 reps. 
 I wonder how much of it is these guys not being polished in the track skills, and how much is just low athleticism. It’d be interesting to average out the positions or take the highest drafted lowest athletic outlier and chart the numbers vs the ras and nfl averages. 

Maybe the cfl should invest money in a program that helps provide strength and conditioning coaching to cis and junior players. 
 If the league managed to half the athletic difference from the average player at the nfl and cfl combine respectively, we would see a whole lot more value return from drafts and better calibre of play in the league. 

Can’t say much on the other measures but where was the 40 run? Down the hallway of the hotel? Was there sufficient run out room at the end? Measures like that shouldn't be compared unless taken under the same conditions. 

Not going to do a mock yet, but there are for sure some interesting players at the combine even if a ton of the top end guys aren’t there.

I’d like to see more of Labrosse, Brubacher, maybe even Antoine in 1 on 1s

Mital didn’t show as well as I hoped, Herzog’s numbers are flashy but he’s not going to go high at all I don’t think. We’ll have to see.

29 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Can’t say much on the other measures but where was the 40 run? Down the hallway of the hotel? Was there sufficient run out room at the end? Measures like that shouldn't be compared unless taken under the same conditions. 

The live feed on the CFL website showed they had plenty of room at the soccer facility.  Didn't appear to be an issue at all.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not going to do a mock yet, but there are for sure some interesting players at the combine even if a ton of the top end guys aren’t there.

I’d like to see more of Labrosse, Brubacher, maybe even Antoine in 1 on 1s

Mital didn’t show as well as I hoped, Herzog’s numbers are flashy but he’s not going to go high at all I don’t think. We’ll have to see.

Chris-Ike too for backs.  I think if you want a FB you're better off taking one of those guys and seeing if you can teach them how to block.  Herzog would probably have to transform himself into a Demski/Coombs type player.  The FB's from U Sports are basically OL.  Mital might end up being more of an H-Back type too.  Not many 6' 230 lb receivers around.

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Chris-Ike too for backs.  I think if you want a FB you're better off taking one of those guys and seeing if you can teach them how to block.  Herzog would probably have to transform himself into a Demski/Coombs type player.  The FB's from U Sports are basically OL.  Mital might end up being more of an H-Back type too.  Not many 6' 230 lb receivers around.

This sums up how they view the FB position. 

"The retirement of Miller – he’s now the special-teams coordinator – and the release of Damian Jackson last month also means the team does not have a fullback on their roster. That said, it’s not necessarily an urgent area of need. The Blue Bombers often use a sixth offensive lineman in short-yardage situations and could also feature a bigger-bodied receiver in fullback-type sets, too, if need be.

“I would believe that as a group – Buck and his group but also JY (Jordan Younger, defensive coordinator) and the defensive staff – they’re always able to fit the pieces together. Do you ‘need’ a fullback? I don’t know. Would you like one? Sure,” said O’Shea.

“We all have our philosophies on that,” added Walters. “If you dress a seventh O-lineman, is he athletic enough to handle that? Sure. Can a bigger receiver do that? Maybe. You don’t need to reach for a fullback that’s going to play eight snaps a game.

“But we obviously don’t have one on our roster and Marty and Buck would sure like to have one. We won’t just grab one at No. 8 (Winnipeg’s pick in the first round) because we don’t have one on the roster. It’s certainly a position group we’ll watch and there are some interesting guys here, two or three fullbacks here and a couple bigger tailbacks we’ve identified.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/03/20/cfl-combine-fyi/

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

They only conducted the bench press and the vertical jump at the Fort Garry, apparently set up on a stage at one end of a ball room.

25 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

This sums up how they view the FB position. 

"The retirement of Miller – he’s now the special-teams coordinator – and the release of Damian Jackson last month also means the team does not have a fullback on their roster. That said, it’s not necessarily an urgent area of need. The Blue Bombers often use a sixth offensive lineman in short-yardage situations and could also feature a bigger-bodied receiver in fullback-type sets, too, if need be.

“I would believe that as a group – Buck and his group but also JY (Jordan Younger, defensive coordinator) and the defensive staff – they’re always able to fit the pieces together. Do you ‘need’ a fullback? I don’t know. Would you like one? Sure,” said O’Shea.

“We all have our philosophies on that,” added Walters. “If you dress a seventh O-lineman, is he athletic enough to handle that? Sure. Can a bigger receiver do that? Maybe. You don’t need to reach for a fullback that’s going to play eight snaps a game.

“But we obviously don’t have one on our roster and Marty and Buck would sure like to have one. We won’t just grab one at No. 8 (Winnipeg’s pick in the first round) because we don’t have one on the roster. It’s certainly a position group we’ll watch and there are some interesting guys here, two or three fullbacks here and a couple bigger tailbacks we’ve identified.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/03/20/cfl-combine-fyi/

"John Hodge is a ******* moron" - WBB FC

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

I mean, it is a pro combine. You would think that the venue would be appropriate. But then last time it was here it was a gong show for the 40 as well. More important factors include the quality and prep of the surface (the big issue last time) and the quality of electronic timing equipment. Though who knows maybe it was just Randy sitting on an old stop watch.  But either way, we've got a good chunk of 195-210 pound guys running 5s and some 260-270+ guys running significantly faster. If they are all running under the same conditions, which just has to be the case, it's a pretty big dip in athleticism. Especially when you consider the bigger 260-270 guys are still C grade NFL athletes as well. 

The other categories have some awful numbers too. How are you gonna do the bench press and only be able to put up 2 reps of 225lbs at 200+ lbs? Like the dude cant do push ups. The first rep in the bench often bounces off the guy as much as any thing in football combines. If you're 6'+ and 220+ running a 5.2 and jumping 24" in the vert you either better be the most talented and cunning football player in history, or better be a holder/snapper. 

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

"John Hodge is a ******* moron" - WBB FC

You don’t need to reach for a fullback that’s going to play eight snaps a game.

Mos intensifies. 

I think you can dress a canadian super package/sub guy. Some one who is a TE/Hback/Fb Body type up to  an undersized athletic centre or down to a big WR. And have that guy fill a TON of roles. Both goal line packages, fg, kick cover/up back and return etc. But that guy has to have a position that they can sub into for an injury, WR would be the easy one, and they have to really excel on teams. Maybe they are the back up punter/kicker, long snapper, holder etc. 

The easiest way to get and develop that guy though, is to draft a reasonably athletic Lber. Like we have for the entire time walters has been here. They already have the hit guys and move bodies mind set you need. 

Edited by wbbfan

This fullback talk. Man my grampa, rest his soul, would be loving this. I haven’t seen somuch talk about a fullback since i was 3 feet tall. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

He 100% is. But obnoxious ******** can drink/smoke too and he was definitely on something. 

What’s he smoking? Meth or fentanyl meth cuz weed makes you more chill. Irregardless (word that shouldn’t be used), I think we can both agree it’s not a good look for the argos or the league. Did they guarantee him money? Cuz if I’m Toronto, not sure I’d want this human with an obvious lack of character representing my team. At what point would the cfl deem him an issue. 

Edited by Goalie

35 minutes ago, Goalie said:

This fullback talk. Man my grampa, rest his soul, would be loving this. I haven’t seen somuch talk about a fullback since i was 3 feet tall. 

What’s he smoking? Meth or fentanyl meth cuz weed makes you more chill. Irregardless (word that shouldn’t be used), I think we can both agree it’s not a good look for the argos or the league. Did they guarantee him money? Cuz if I’m Toronto, not sure I’d want this human with an obvious lack of character representing my team. At what point would the cfl deem him an issue. 

What are the precedents for players being not just penalized by the league, but outright banned? 

• Justin Cox
  • Manziel
  • Marino
  • Nate Holley
  • Arland Bruce the younger

Am I missing anyone?

All but Marino were off-field bad guys. Cox and Holley were domestic violence doers, Bruce bet on his own games, and Manziel would not comply with whatever conditions the league imposed on him.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A lot of the DB's will be LB's in the CFL at this combine.  Some of the LB's will be edge types.

DB's and WR's showed pretty good.  There were only 2 receivers who ran 4.7 or worse.  See what they look like in battle drills.  I feel like Ajou Ajou is a guy that might fall right out of this draft.  Think there's a crew there that will be long-term CFLers. 

OL group at combine is pretty poor.  But most of the top 7-8 guys aren't there.  Dumoulin Duguay is a guy I could see us picking in Round 1.

Don't fully understand why they wouldn't attend, are they being advised by their agents not to waste their time on the CFL, or do they think they're too good for the league?  If so the CFL has a serious image problem among college aged players.  If you graduated from college would you limit sending your resume only to the top employer and not cover your bases more broadly?  If good enough maybe 1 or 2 of these guys will kick around on NFL PR's for a few years before kicking back to the CFL or quitting football entirely. I can see why the Bombers emphasize picking guys who really love playing football over players just in the sport to make as much money as they can.

Still recall the many wasted years waiting for Christo Bilukidi and Andy Mulumba to give up their NFL dream and return to the Bombers, neither of them ever did, nor did they establish themselves in the NFL as starters, thus forgettable careers.  Contrast with what Pat Neufeld has accomplished even with a poor combine showing, establishing himself as a 12 year CFL starter.  I seriously doubt any of the OL guys skipping the CFL Combine for bigger things, will ever match his career.

Great video, especially when Neuf. answers questions sent in by Stanley, Chris K, and Jake.  He also sheds a bit of light on why they kept Tanner Schmeckle.