2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, Tracker said:
CFL opens investigation into allegations made against Toronto Argos, Chad Kelly
The Canadian Football League has started its inquest into the lawsuit filed against the Toronto Argonauts and franchise quarterback Chad Kelly.CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie issued the following statement on Wednesday afternoon:
“The CFL is committed to creating healthy and positive working and playing environments for all those associated with the league and its member clubs.

We take the allegations against the Toronto Argonauts and Mr. Kelly very seriously and we have opened an investigation in accordance with the league’s Gender-based Violence Policy.

Out of respect for this process and all the parties involved, we will not be able to provide further comment until our investigation has been completed.”

I guess where this is much ado about something after all. As much as I like giving Bluto the gears, I hope this doesn't result in Kelly having his contract/CFL career terminated. We need all our star QBs.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I guess where this is much ado about something after all. As much as I like giving Bluto the gears, I hope this doesn't result in Kelly having his contract/CFL career terminated. We need all our star QBs.

If he did what she says he did, then I 100% hope he's gone and never comes back. **** any ******* that tries that greasy **** on women.... and that goes double for Murphy, if he did what she says he did. He's even worse for trying to sweep it under the rug. *IF* what she says is true, they should both be long, gone and forgotten. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If he did what she says he did, then I 100% hope he's gone and never comes back. **** any ******* that tries that greasy **** on women.... and that goes double for Murphy, if he did what she says he did. He's even worse for trying to sweep it under the rug. *IF* what she says is true, they should both be long, gone and forgotten. 

I agree. Just hope that's not the case.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

No way in Hell that the CFL needs a sexual predator as even a minor player, let alone a star. I have worked with raped women and even my late wife who was a nurse suffered because of this sort of thing on the job. The damage is catastrophic in many cases, and rape has nothing to do with sexual gratification. It is an act intended to humiliate the victim and reduce her/him to an object of powerlessness and utter defeat. Most predators have been victims or vicarious victims but that in no way excuses them from responsibility or consequences. 

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

No way in Hell that the CFL needs a sexual predator as even a minor player, let alone a star. I have worked with raped women and even my late wife who was a nurse suffered because of this sort of thing on the job. The damage is catastrophic in many cases, and rape has nothing to do with sexual gratification. It is an act intended to humiliate the victim and reduce her/him to an object of powerlessness and utter defeat. Most predators have been victims or vicarious victims but that in no way excuses them from responsibility or consequences. 

I agree but let's let the investigation take place before we jump to conclusions.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We do, that said no player is worth compromising on these issues for. Not mike Vick, not Deshaun Watson not any one. 
 I think with what we know right now the majority of the punishment would come down on the Argos management. Murphy should be barred from the league. 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Viscous cycles suck.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Viscous cycles suck.

The cycles of violence and poverty are soo much larger and have soo much more gravity than can be stated. Even when you get out, you aren’t free of their pull. 
 And it’s soo prevalent in pro sports. 

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Dark days. The passing game was soo bad. 

It couldn't of been as bad as Jason Boltus bobbling the ball and fumbling it and cowering.    

The string of bad QB's we had after Bishop up until Willy/Nichols was the darkest days from my time watching the Blue.  

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree but let's let the investigation take place before we jump to conclusions.

Too late for that now, my dude.

And if the "investigation" yields no basis for the allegation, how does Kelly and the Argos get their reputation restored? Do they get to sue the Accuser? will they face civil or criminal charges? We know that they won't. It's a free hit as part of a civil wrongful dismissal case designed to produce a nice, easy settlement.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Kelly didn't have much of a reputation to start with.

Yea...unfortunately his baggage comes into play whether it is relevant or not to this particular situation. 

56 minutes ago, bluto said:

Too late for that now, my dude.

And if the "investigation" yields no basis for the allegation, how does Kelly and the Argos get their reputation restored? Do they get to sue the Accuser? will they face civil or criminal charges? We know that they won't. It's a free hit as part of a civil wrongful dismissal case designed to produce a nice, easy settlement.

Maybe it is a hit piece from a disgruntled ex-employee, but it very well might be that this employee was earnestly wronged. You seem to be dismissing that possibility. Kelly has a long history of troubled behavior, and this unfortunately lends some credence to the need for an investigation of these allegations. If it found to be much ado about nothing, then I am sure the CFL will move on and the Argos will still have their star QB. Restoring his reputation? You may not realize this because you are a died in the wool Argos fan, but most of the fans around the league regarded Kelly as a wingnut even prior to this.

Edited by GCn20

46 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe it is a hit piece from a disgruntled ex-employee, but it very well might be that this employee was earnestly wronged. You seem to be dismissing that possibility. Kelly has a long history of troubled behavior, and this unfortunately lends some credence to the need for an investigation of these allegations. If it found to be much ado about nothing, then I am sure the CFL will move on and the Argos will still have their star QB. Restoring his reputation? You may not realize this because you are a died in the wool Argos fan, but most of the fans around the league regarded Kelly as a wingnut even prior to this.

I'm not dismissing it. Really. Just presenting the other side of the coin while  people gather up their torches and pitchforks.

I have no trouble at all believing that a pro athlete hit on a coworker and crossed a boundary. Especially in this day and age where boundaries for that are basically set at zero-tolerance by default (which I have no beef with).

And yeah, we know that he's a loon. But he's now been painted as a sexual harasser in national media. That's a different sort of reputational hit. And if it was because he asked a girl out at work, that's pretty harsh.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

I'm not dismissing it. Really. Just presenting the other side of the coin while  people gather up their torches and pitchforks.

I have no trouble at all believing that a pro athlete hit on a coworker and crossed a boundary. Especially in this day and age where boundaries for that are basically set at zero-tolerance by default (which I have no beef with).

And yeah, we know that he's a loon. But he's now been painted as a sexual harasser in national media. That's a different sort of reputational hit. And if it was because he asked a girl out at work, that's pretty harsh.

Him even asking the girl out is at best highly inappropriate. If any of what she says is true as to what took place afterwards than Kelly is most definitely a harrasser. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I wonder how we’d be reacting to this news if it were about Dalton Schoen 

We likely wouldn't be too pleased with Dalton for being such a bonehead.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Like I said, there are a lot of men on the CFL internet right now who have never had a friend or loved one go through an acrimonious divorce, and it shows.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

If he was accused of what Kelly is alleged to have done, and if someone like Walters was alleged to have fired the victim and attempted to cover it up, I'd call for an investigation.  If the investigation found that the victim's claims were accurate, I'd want them both gone, right now.  Know why?  Because it's the right thing to do, period.  And that's not even considering that neither of them has the reputation of Kelly or Murphy.  And again, for those that are suggesting that in this TO situation, the young woman is maybe looking for a quick payday, consider that the amount she's asking for isn't much at all by today's standards, and that sadly, she'll likely never be able to work in pro sports again.  Something tells me that she has far more to lose than to gain from this situation.  If that's the case, it might suggest something else entirely...

31 minutes ago, bluto said:

Like I said, there are a lot of men on the CFL internet right now who have never had a friend or loved one go through an acrimonious divorce, and it shows.

Don't compare this to an acrimonious divorce. You are trying to minimize the situation by reframing it and it shows. This isn't the case of a lover scorned and you putting it into that kind of comparison can only serves to minimize the victim's credibility while garnering sympathy for the accused. This is a workplace sexual harrassment investigation, let's get that straight.

I get it that you really want Kelly and the Argos to be blameless here, a victim of a hatchet job by a crazed ex-employee hell bent on revenge. The investigation will tell us whether there is an inkling of truth to that. Right now all logic points to the victim being credible. She really has nothing to gain in comparison to what she has and will lose.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Don't compare this to an acrimonious divorce. You are trying to minimize the situation by reframing it and it shows. This isn't the case of a lover scorned and you putting it into that kind of comparison can only serve to minimize the victim's credibility while garnering sympathy for the accused. This is a workplace sexual harrassment investigation, let's get that straight.

Obvious syllogism between using accusations as leverage in lawsuits is obvious.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Obvious syllogism between using accusations as leverage in lawsuits is obvious.

No, it is not obvious at all. The amount she is asking for is not worth it at all. This isn't some kind of frivolous attempt to get rich.

Edited by GCn20

25 minutes ago, bluto said:

I'm confused. This situation is not a acrimonious divorce.

This is an employee making serious allegations against other employees within the same organization.

It will run it's course with investigations and the facts will come out determining the decisions rendered.

I'm a big supporter of innocent until proven guilty, that has to be mandatory to protect the innocent.