2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

He has mental health issues that are just too big a red flag for teams. 

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent did some preliminary work to see what the market would be for Evans as a starter for some teams. He may have talked to them about his client potentially signing as the starter & the interest may not have been very high. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Most likely situation with Evans is that his mental fragility has cost him his career as a player....No doubt you have to be physically tough to play this game but you also have to have the mental toughness to go along with it....Coaching can also have it's mental strain.....he better be up for it....good luck to him

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Most likely situation with Evans is that his mental fragility has cost him his career as a player....No doubt you have to be physically tough to play this game but you also have to have the mental toughness to go along with it....Coaching can also have it's mental strain.....he better be up for it....good luck to him

Best game of his career was in 2022 when Ti-Cats laid a licking on the Bombers 48-31, wasted potential.  With his aversion to pressure I don't think he'll rise to the top of the coaching world, he'll find a safe place down South and sit there. Doubt we ever hear from him again. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/29/legendary-cfl-pass-rusher-charleston-hughes-officially-announces-retirement-from-pro-football/

Who is Glen Suitor going to salivate and froth at the mouth over now that Hughes is gone?  

Literally anyone in a Riders jersey.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/29/legendary-cfl-pass-rusher-charleston-hughes-officially-announces-retirement-from-pro-football/

Who is Glen Suitor going to salivate and froth at the mouth over now that Hughes is gone?  

Insert random over rated rider vet here * lol 

12 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dunbar would be an adequate replacement if Schoen lands elsewhere

Hes a talent guy. And will probably be cheap this off season. But idk if we are filling a wr spot, I wouldn’t want to pay more than the imp rookie base. We can find and develop WRs now. We’ve had tons of wr talent in camp the last few years. Bailey and woli can back fill a ton of catches too. 
 Tbh if we lost lawler or schoen for what ever reason, unless we have an elite guy available id rather fill internally and bring in another ni. We could very easily start another wr spot. 
 Also, I’d keep schoen over Brady. Even though Brady is my guy, just no comparison between an elite prime age wr and a rb with a few years and lots of Carries. 
 Rb has the shortest career length of any nfl position, despite the most play and production and the role being heavily split in the modern era. 2.5 years per career vs the league average of 3.3. the average retirement age for RBs is 27. The peak is well known to be 23-27. The 27th year is known as the cliff now. 
 Since 2010 only 11 RBs in the nfl have reached 28 and 29 years of age in the nfl. And those are improved numbers! 

Brady is 27 next year. With out bad luck he likely has 1-2 years at a high level. Schoen likely has a good 5 years then a less steep decline after that too. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Hes a talent guy. And will probably be cheap this off season. But idk if we are filling a wr spot, I wouldn’t want to pay more than the imp rookie base. We can find and develop WRs now. We’ve had tons of wr talent in camp the last few years. Bailey and woli can back fill a ton of catches too. 
 Tbh if we lost lawler or schoen for what ever reason, unless we have an elite guy available id rather fill internally and bring in another ni. We could very easily start another wr spot. 
 Also, I’d keep schoen over Brady. Even though Brady is my guy, just no comparison between an elite prime age wr and a rb with a few years and lots of Carries. 
 Rb has the shortest career length of any nfl position, despite the most play and production and the role being heavily split in the modern era. 2.5 years per career vs the league average of 3.3. the average retirement age for RBs is 27. The peak is well known to be 23-27. The 27th year is known as the cliff now. 
 Since 2010 only 11 RBs in the nfl have reached 28 and 29 years of age in the nfl. And those are improved numbers! 

Brady is 27 next year. With out bad luck he likely has 1-2 years at a high level. Schoen likely has a good 5 years then a less steep decline after that too. 

From a team-building perspective, I agree with you on Schoen over Brady.

But this isn't the NFL, there's no reason why Brady can't be effective for as long as Harris was. It's not like speed is his thing and losing a step will take him off the field.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

From a team-building perspective, I agree with you on Schoen over Brady.

But this isn't the NFL, there's no reason why Brady can't be effective for as long as Harris was. It's not like speed is his thing and losing a step will take him off the field.

You’re right it isn’t and you do raise interesting points. However I’d argue that RBs peak is actually shorter here than the nfl. while careers tend to be longer, it’s just the recycling nature giving guys a much larger time playing past their prime or being good. Few guys dip in productivity and are gone quick like blink. 
 I’d actually argue the opposite. Brady doesn’t have the speed to make up for indecision. When he wasn’t hitting the hole as hard and fast as possible he struggled. As soon as he started running intuitively and trusting the blocking he exploded. I think if he loses a small bit of speed it will be similar to that time. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Tons of talented rec? I'm not sure about that. No one has been able to do much of anything with the exception of Schoen and Bailey.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Tons of talented rec? I'm not sure about that. No one has been able to do much of anything with the exception of Schoen and Bailey.

2022 training camp cut Lucky Jackson is now playing for the Vikes, if he hadn't run up against Schoen, he might be playing for the Bombers.  New recruit Ontaria Wilson looks well worth developing.

On 2024-01-02 at 3:53 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent did some preliminary work to see what the market would be for Evans as a starter for some teams. He may have talked to them about his client potentially signing as the starter & the interest may not have been very high. 

Unless he was released and I missed it, his agent can't talk to any CFL teams about him until a week prior to FA. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course, just that it isn't supposed to.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You’re right it isn’t and you do raise interesting points. However I’d argue that RBs peak is actually shorter here than the nfl. while careers tend to be longer, it’s just the recycling nature giving guys a much larger time playing past their prime or being good. Few guys dip in productivity and are gone quick like blink. 
 I’d actually argue the opposite. Brady doesn’t have the speed to make up for indecision. When he wasn’t hitting the hole as hard and fast as possible he struggled. As soon as he started running intuitively and trusting the blocking he exploded. I think if he loses a small bit of speed it will be similar to that time. 

The way I look at it is that a 1000 yard running back on our team won't be hard to find. Finding a 1200+ yard receiver will be very difficult and/or very expensive.  Go with Schoen, and if Brady wants to chase dollars all the power to him but he should be very cognizant that a lot of his success came because we commit to the run and provide him with absolutely stud, and without equal in this league, run blocking. If he want to go to another team he will settle into a much less prominent role with the production that goes with that.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

2022 training camp cut Lucky Jackson is now playing for the Vikes, if he hadn't run up against Schoen, he might be playing for the Bombers.  New recruit Ontaria Wilson looks well worth developing.

He was also cut by EDM I believe, or maybe he left for the NFL in the offseason... "Playing for the Vikings" is a stretch. And NFL success never equals CFL success. He had opportunities here to play and did nothing with them. Which again is my point. We've brought guys in who on paper should be good. But haven't been. Even though I disagree with you about him...that's 3 wrs. This regime for whatever reason just doesn't produce high quality rec on the regular. Lbs, dbs, OL/DL, RB....sure. but WR...I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Bigblue204

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

He was also cut by EDM I believe, or maybe he left for the NFL in the offseason... "Playing for the Vikings" is a stretch. And NFL success never equals CFL success. He had opportunities here to play and did nothing with them. Which again is my point. We've brought guys in who on paper should be good. But haven't been. Even though I disagree with you about him...that's 3 wrs. This regime for whatever reason just doesn't produce high quality rec on the regular. Lbs, dbs, OL/DL, RB....sure. but WR...I'm not seeing it.

That's a bit dismissive, he was here for the extent of the 2022 TC and performed well in 2 pre-season games, unfortunately he had to compete against phenomenal rookie sensation Dalton Schoen who had the waggle down pat within days, that doesn't mean he was incapable of becoming a good receiver.  He isn't the first talented player cut from TC due to numbers.

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lawler Demski and woli haven’t been able to do much of any thing? 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The way I look at it is that a 1000 yard running back on our team won't be hard to find. Finding a 1200+ yard receiver will be very difficult and/or very expensive.  Go with Schoen, and if Brady wants to chase dollars all the power to him but he should be very cognizant that a lot of his success came because we commit to the run and provide him with absolutely stud, and without equal in this league, run blocking. If he want to go to another team he will settle into a much less prominent role with the production that goes with that.

Agree.