Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Do you want a great QB for two years? 

or do you want a potentially great QB for 8-10 years?

in a perfect world, we sign Dru anyways but I can’t see that happening. MAYBE if you do something like take a huge risk, sign him to a 3 year deal where you pay him something like 200/200/500 and guarantee as much of the third year as you can, but I don’t think we can pull that off. You’d have to sell him that this is the best place for him and look what has happened to other players who have left in search of the cash, I just don’t see it. Ottawa will give him the bag.

Collaros hasn't shown up for a Grey Cup since 2019. Caught lightning in a bottle then.

2020 cup Collaros went 21/32 for 240, 2 TD, 2 INT. Got to OT in spite of him. If Steinhauer isn't a moron and doesn't concede that single Bombers lose.
The only difference was he showed up clutch in OT, and yes he deserves credit for that.

Garbage in the next 2 cups.

This is a get it done league, not barely show up when it actually counts leage. Personally I'm ready to move on

Edited by Dr Zaius

20 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Collaros hasn't shown up for a Grey Cup since 2019. Caught lightning in a bottle then.

what did he do in that game that was special? That game was Andrew Harris and Chris Streveler and the Defense...

People can talk about Collaros playoff performances (and I tend to agree) but this past season, he also started to show a lot of knicks in the armour.... there were games where he just didn't look like himself. Literally throwing the game away. Sure he had a couple really good ones.... tearing BC a new ******* in the second game against them at IGF comes to mind..... but there were more "off" games this year than we've seen since he arrived. There is every reason to be concerned that he's on a downhill slope...

Just now, 17to85 said:

2019 west final he started off on fire but then 2nd half was all streveler running for some reason.

he hit that sideline pass to Darvin, for sure... never forget that. But man, when you try to think of Collaros playoff highlights...... drawing a lot of blanks. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

More like people are looking at this age and some underwhelming post season coupled with the fact that Dru Brown has developed so well and performed comparably to Collaros with the same team. It's a risk, but if you save money at the qb position and can get some assets for collaros and not see a big drop does it make you team better long term? 

Do you still think that is wise if he performs like Dane Evans did when he was in the exact same situation? There is a crap load of risk attached to making Brown our starter. Brown had one great game, one pretty average game, and one alright relief appearance. I think that it is too early to hand him the keys to the franchise when you have the league's best QB already.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

in a perfect world, we sign Dru anyways but I can’t see that happening. MAYBE if you do something like take a huge risk, sign him to a 3 year deal where you pay him something like 200/200/500 and guarantee as much of the third year as you can, but I don’t think we can pull that off. You’d have to sell him that this is the best place for him and look what has happened to other players who have left in search of the cash, I just don’t see it. Ottawa will give him the bag.

I want a great QB this year. Too many variables to even start looking beyond two years from now. Collaros is a great QB...FACT....Dru is a great  QB....MAYBE or MAYBE NOT. I'll go with the known commodity. Just my opinion. The CFL sees such turnover that I don't think it's wise to look beyond 2 years.  I do agree in a perfect world we lock up Brown as well, but it is unlikely to happen. Guess we will have to wait until FA 2026 to sign him as our starter if he works out as one.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

what did he do in that game that was special? That game was Andrew Harris and Chris Streveler and the Defense...

People can talk about Collaros playoff performances (and I tend to agree) but this past season, he also started to show a lot of knicks in the armour.... there were games where he just didn't look like himself. Literally throwing the game away. Sure he had a couple really good ones.... tearing BC a new ******* in the second game against them at IGF comes to mind..... but there were more "off" games this year than we've seen since he arrived. There is every reason to be concerned that he's on a downhill slope...

He was the number one rated QB in just about every category and led us to a first place finish. Almost every CFL pundit was hailing him as the probably MOP up to about game 15. If that is chinks in the armor, it's still performing at a very high level.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

2019 and 2020 it was the defense that carried things in the Grey Cup games mostly anyway. 

Not in 2020 it wasn't.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

West final 2022 was probably ok as well. He took it personal with all the Rourke stuff but my memory is fuzzy. 

Collaros was OK in that game, nothing special. That is basically our team approach to offence in the playoffs though.

Edited by GCn20

Wow, this Board is dumping all over Collaros demanding a change at qb. Sure sounds like Stamps fans last year who demanded they move on from Bo Levi Mitchell because Jake Maier was a shoe in to be the Next Big Thing & look what happened. The team did move on but Maier wasn't a shoe in. He led his team to a 6-12 record good for third place in the West & the right to get blown out by the Lions in the West Semi. Which they were. Now, the same fans who wanted Maier last year want to get rid of him this off season. Y'all be careful what you wish for. 

Seems to me that it was our defense that lost the game for us & not Collaros. When we needed a stop we didn't get it. One stop. If anything, it's the defense that needs changes. LIke the interior Defensive line, secondary & another MLB & OLB. The holes are on defense. Not offensively. Hall needs to go but we know that he'll be back. 

39 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Wow, this Board is dumping all over Collaros demanding a change at qb. Sure sounds like Stamps fans last year who demanded they move on from Bo Levi Mitchell because Jake Maier was a shoe in to be the Next Big Thing & look what happened. The team did move on but Maier wasn't a shoe in. He led his team to a 6-12 record good for third place in the West & the right to get blown out by the Lions in the West Semi. Which they were. Now, the same fans who wanted Maier last year want to get rid of him this off season. Y'all be careful what you wish for. 

Mitchell is cooked though so it wasn't wrong to move on. 

Guess it depends on  whether or not you think brown is better than maier... which I do personally.  Was never impressed with maier. Too much throw short nonsense, didn't threaten a team with anything else. 

Ideally we can get brown back, but if he leaves and collaros continues to age (and let's not pretend that's not showing signs here) are we left with nothing but an aging star? 

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And what did Bo Levi do?

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Mitchell is cooked though so it wasn't wrong to move on. 

Guess it depends on  whether or not you think brown is better than maier... which I do personally.  Was never impressed with maier. Too much throw short nonsense, didn't threaten a team with anything else. 

Ideally we can get brown back, but if he leaves and collaros continues to age (and let's not pretend that's not showing signs here) are we left with nothing but an aging star? 

The thing with Maier is that it's the offense he plays & the system they use. The Stamps OC want to spread the ball around so you see guys running a lot of short & intermediate routes while not stretching the field. This is going to be the Rider offense this season coming up with Mueller calling the plays.

Then they have a former OL coach Pat DelMonaco calling the same kind of plays that Mueller did. Maier is stuck in a plodding offense. So, when it comes right down to it then is it the playcalling or play of the qb in question here? The answer is probably a bit of both. But these so called ball control offenses rarely win championships. I mean, we all know how good Stamps receiver Reggie Beggelton is yet for the most part he's a possession receiver in that offense. In Winnipeg he'd be going after those long contested catches & be a 1,500 or more yards receiver with the Bombers rather than a 900-1000 yard receiver that he is now with the Stamps. 

Yes, I agree that Mitchell was done. 

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And what did Bo Levi do?

Everyone thought Maier would be the next great West Division qb. He wasn't even close. He may be in the future (If he loses 25 lbs) & starts being mobile. He needs a new offense to play in. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, Mike said:

February will be interesting when teams have the tampering period.  I suspect one of our Western foes will get ahead of Ottawa, both Alberta teams will be involved.  Edmonton is a little more handicapped with Cornelius guarantee.  Maier is tradable after everything settles in free agency.

At the absolute most the Bombers could probably offer 150.  But Brown needs to play.  

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I want a great QB this year. Too many variables to even start looking beyond two years from now. Collaros is a great QB...FACT....Dru is a great  QB....MAYBE or MAYBE NOT. 

That last bit on Dru is why I don't think that another club in this league is going to back the truck up for him.....He's not proven BUT does that still leave him the re-signable category here....Guess we'll have to wait on that one 

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That last bit on Dru is why I don't think that another club in this league is going to back the truck up for him.....He's not proven BUT does that still leave him the re-signable category here....Guess we'll have to wait on that one 

Dalton Schoen has to be priority #1 for the Bombers. Not Brown. It'll be interesting to see where the money goes & to which veteran players. .