Argos at Bombers, The Big One

Nolby

39 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

There are quite a few foolish comments here suggesting that a loss holds no significance because the Argos aren't competitive. That's nonsense. We're in a fierce battle for first place in the west, and a loss would categorize us as a second-tier team. Another loss to BC next week would put us on par with the Riders. It's a tough competition, and every game carries immense importance. We can't afford to sleep on anyone else the rest of the year or our season is kaput. Fall football season starts now.

There are quite a few foolish comments here suggesting that a loss or losses puts us on par with the Riders. Don't claim someone's opinion is dumb then make a dumber comment and claim it is hyperbole. Our season is not lost in the next two games no matter what the outcome is. Two losses makes our road to the Grey Cup more challenging, and means our team needs some work before the playoffs. Nothing more.

Just now, GCn20 said:

There are quite a few foolish comments here suggesting that a loss or losses puts us on par with the Riders. Don't claim someone's opinion is dumb then make a dumber comment and claim it is hyperbole. Our season is not lost in the next two games no matter what the outcome is. Two losses makes our road to the Grey Cup more challenging, and means our team needs some work before the playoffs. Nothing more.

If we lose the next two, we'll find ourselves in a position akin to the "playoff also-technically-qualified" status of the Riders. Pull your head out of your backside and focus on the bigger picture.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Then I look forward to your "nothing to see here" posts after a narrow win tomorrow night. 

Let's be honest it doesn't matter who the argos are dressing if the Bombers book end a bye week with back to back losses it's trouble. This team should be able to beat the argos full roster and if they lost to that bunch after a bye week it would be the same disaster as a loss would be now because it would be the exact same problems showing up as have been seen before. 

Agreed. The Argos get no excuses if they lose either. If we lose in front of a packed IGF after a bye week, it will be on the coaching staff and KW to make some changes prior to the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

If we lose the next two, we'll find ourselves in a position akin to the "playoff also-technically-qualified" status of the Riders. Pull your head out of your backside and focus on the bigger picture.

We are nothing like the Riders, pull your head out of your backside. What a dumb comparison. We will have a home playoff game locked up by then, and a FAR superior team to them. Just because we will lose out on first place doesn't equate us to a sub .500 team who is getting into the playoffs by default and literally stands no chance of winning a playoff game. We have the talent to be the best team in this league, if we don't prove it in the next two weeks our season is not kaput, it just needs work. The Riders are crap, and can only aspire to be crap and are in the playoffs only because 3 teams are worse than they are. That being said, I don't expect that we will sleep through the next two games, and if we do, I do expect MOS and KW to do what is necessary to have us ready for the playoffs.

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Habba for one of Jackson, Clements or Cole would work but apparently a fullback who blocks on ten snaps and two back up linebackers to play teams is key.

How about this... without trying to rile up the masses too much... Keep Haba on and dress Burtenshaw... scratch Jackson and Bennet... seems like a net positive to me

56 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Only problem is that we have, historically, played down to the level of our opponents.  

I hope we come our and absolutely kick the **** out of the Argos but I will not be surprised if it's far closer than what it should be.

counter point... Bombers haven't lost coming out of a bye in like 3 years... Bomber haven't lost back-to-back games since (I'm guessing) 2019

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Agreed. The Argos get no excuses if they lose either. If we lose in front of a packed IGF after a bye week, it will be on the coaching staff and KW to make some changes prior to the playoffs.

We are nothing like the Riders, pull your head out of your backside. What a dumb comparison. We will have a home playoff game locked up by then, and a FAR superior team to them. Just because we will lose out on first place doesn't equate us to a sub .500 team who is getting into the playoffs by default.

Seriously, let's get some perspective here. You're arguing against a hypothetical I never even mentioned. But the reality is, if we lose the next two, our playoff prospects look bleak. We'd have dropped four out of the last five games and would enter the playoffs as a third-tier team, much like the Riders and Ticats. Just stating the clear facts. Continue arguing against your strawman for the sake of lord knows what.

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

don't get me wrong... I have the same negative feelings you do... all the time... but I'm trying to stay positive as best I can! 

Me too... I kid. I was ******* TERRIFIED going into the Banjo Bowl..... whew. Hoping for more of the same! 

4 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

What's this do for the integrity of the game? Kind of makes a mockery of it & the Argos giving a big **** You to Bomber fans who shelled out good money to see this game as well as fans across the country who wanted to see this as a marquis matchup. Now???

I think it's time for the CFL to enact tougher laws regarding Player Load Management. Meaning coaches like Dinwiddie can't make a mockery of the schedule by playing backups & resting all star starters. In order to do so, injuries have to be absolutely legit & not fake or a lie. But hey, we all know that the peanut size brain of Randy Ambrosie would never propose something positive like that. 

This is -- apart from Kelly, if in fact he doesn't play at all -- a fairly full lineup the Argos are putting on the field. Oakman is being replaced by Brinkman, who is the team's best run stopper and someone who played earlier this year when Oakman was a healthy scratch (and played in the Grey Cup). McManis, who got dinged up last week but would likely play this week it it was a must-win, is replaced by Jonathan Jones who has seen a fair bit of action at LB this year and played (for McManis) in the Grey Cup. The biggest new absence is Jamal Peters, who was injured last week and likely wouldn't be able to play even if this game was for all the marbles. Cam Phillips is also out with an injury; he was replaced last week by a guy who dressed for the first time and had only a couple of targets. This week he's replaced by Jeremiah Haydel, who has played a few games the past two seasons but is nothing to write home about. Chances are the Argos' healthy NAT receivers (Brissett, Ungerer and Nield) will be targeted more than Haydel. Gittens has been out for a few weeks and Argos are thin in the secondary, with Robertson Daniel, DaShaun Amos and Maurice Carnell all out with long-term injuries.    

Just now, pw13 said:

This is -- apart from Kelly, if in fact he doesn't play at all -- a fairly full lineup the Argos are putting on the field. Oakman is being replaced by Brinkman, who is the team's best run stopper and someone who played earlier this year when Oakman was a healthy scratch (and played in the Grey Cup). McManis, who got dinged up last week but would likely play this week it it was a must-win, is replaced by Jonathan Jones who has seen a fair bit of action at LB this year and played (for McManis) in the Grey Cup. The biggest new absence is Jamal Peters, who was injured last week and likely wouldn't be able to play even if this game was for all the marbles. Cam Phillips is also out with an injury; he was replaced last week by a guy who dressed for the first time and had only a couple of targets. This week he's replaced by Jeremiah Haydel, who has played a few games the past two seasons but is nothing to write home about. Chances are the Argos' healthy NAT receivers (Brissett, Ungerer and Nield) will be targeted more than Haydel. Gittens has been out for a few weeks and Argos are thin in the secondary, with Robertson Daniel, DaShaun Amos and Maurice Carnell all out with long-term injuries.    

But no Chad Kelly vs Zach Collaros. The Top 2 qbs in the CFL going head to head for the first time. A marquis matchup wasted.. Instead we get to see some kiddie looking 12 year old play qb for the Boatmen. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But no Chad Kelly vs Zach Collaros. The Top 2 qbs in the CFL going head to head for the first time. A marquis matchup wasted.. Instead we get to see some kiddie looking 12 year old play qb for the Boatmen. 

No argument there. But this is still a solid Toronto lineup even with an unproven QB. I still expect Bombers to win, but Argos are gonna make them earn it.  

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

No we really won't be. It will definitely mean stuff needs to be fixed down the stretch though.

I agree. We should definitely be win at all costs right now and first place is a big advantage. However, should we lose...unless we lose because a bunch of our marquee starters get injured....it is not the end of the world.

NO.. we are in troubled as these thing's that need to be fixed were likely the same bs issues that have caused us to lose all yr long...and have been left to fester...what makes you think Osh will address them??..he will have his smug usual answer/excuses and we will likely be in 2nd place as the Lions will likely pummel the sad sacks right after us

So losing...again to a 3rd stringer QB...Not being prepared...again....losing at home in front of a packed house, and then basically have to win out and hope the lions dont makes this yes a god forbid loss...I have zero faith that come playoffs and we have to win 3 in a row that we can...the "anomaly" games have happened way too often this yr...its a trend now...not an anomoly...

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

NO.. we are in troubled as these thing's that need to be fixed were likely the same bs issues that have caused us to lose all yr long...and have been left to fester...what makes you think Osh will address them??..he will have his smug usual answer/excuses and we will likely be in 2nd place as the Lions will likely pummel the sad sacks right after us

So losing...again to a 3rd stringer QB...Not being prepared...again....losing at home in front of a packed house, and then basically have to win out and hope the lions dont makes this yes a god forbid loss...I have zero faith that come playoffs and we have to win 3 in a row that we can...the "anomaly" games have happened way too often this yr...its a trend now...not an anomoly...

To me, the Bombers lack a killer instinct. The will as a team to go out & just pummell the other guy just to show they can. That has been the problem all season long.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

15 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What's this do for the integrity of the game? Kind of makes a mockery of it & the Argos giving a big **** You to Bomber fans who shelled out good money to see this game as well as fans across the country who wanted to see this as a marquis matchup. Now???

I think it's time for the CFL to enact tougher laws regarding Player Load Management. Meaning coaches like Dinwiddie can't make a mockery of the schedule by playing backups & resting all star starters. In order to do so, injuries have to be absolutely legit & not fake or a lie. But hey, we all know that the peanut size brain of Randy Ambrosie would never propose something positive like that. 

I don’t recall this kind of wailing about the integrity of the game last year when we sat Collaros in BC for that “marquee” match-up between the top 2 teams in the CFL at the time. Or how the Montreal fans were getting ripped off shelling out their hard earned money only to watch the Sean McGuire spectacle in 2021. And if the league put in a “load management” force them to play edict and we lost Collaros to a season-ending injury in a nothing game for us (like we did in 2002 with Stegall), I can just imagine the calls for Ambrosie’s head for such a stupid rule being in place, forcing us to put a player at risk needlessly. This has been done in every league every year when a team clinches early. Not just a “short-sighted CFL league office” situation. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don’t recall this kind of wailing about the integrity of the game last year when we sat Collaros in BC for that “marquee” match-up between the top 2 teams in the CFL at the time. Or how the Montreal fans were getting ripped off shelling out their hard earned money only to watch the Sean McGuire spectacle in 2021. And if the league put in a “load management” force them to play edict and we lost Collaros to a season-ending injury in a nothing game for us (like we did in 2002 with Stegall), I can just imagine the calls for Ambrosie’s head for such a stupid rule being in place, forcing us to put a player at risk needlessly. This has been done in every league every year when a team clinches early. Not just a “short-sighted CFL league office” situation. 

I can tell you that the Lions are none to impressed with this...and rightfully so.....

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We didn't do that for 6 games so it's not stupid. The Argos are so far in front they actually don't care if they win or lose 3 or 4 games. That's integrity. The organization doesn't give a ****. It makes the league look even more Mickey Mouse than ever. The NBA is bringing in tougher rules for Player Load Mgmt. The NHL & NBA are looking into it. The CFL needs to do it as well. Just because it was never done before doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We didn't do that for 6 games so it's not stupid. The Argos are so far in front they actually don't care if they win or lose 3 or 4 games. That's integrity. The organization doesn't give a ****. It makes the league look even more Mickey Mouse than ever. The NBA is bringing in tougher rules for Player Load Mgmt. The NHL & NBA are looking into it. The CFL needs to do it as well. Just because it was never done before doesn't mean it isn't the right thing to do. 

Who says they are doing it for 6 games?  And if they do, they earned that right. We benched Collaros effectively for two games in 2021, again strangely silent here. And if a Calgary or Montreal opponent complained that we made their games easier, would we say “rightfully so” or say “why should we put our players at risk in a nothing game so that Ottawa or Hamilton or Saskatchewan don’t feel ripped off? Pretty sure I know what the answer would be with the shoe on the other foot. 

Also this isn't load management by the argos. Its risk aversion. Any other team complaining Bombers don't have to play a full Argos squad should talk to the league about MLSE and their stadium issues. I have a hard time understand the hair pulling going on over this. It's ridiculous, especially coming from WPG fan base.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

oh well. They had their shot at winning the season series earlier and **** the bed. **** them.

Great answer.... 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zvexd1hcyreci1zhzd

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Also this isn't load management by the argos. Its risk aversion. Any other team complaining Bombers don't have to play a full Argos squad should talk to the league about MLSE and their stadium issues. I have a hard time understand the hair pulling going on over this. It's ridiculous, especially coming from WPG fan base.

It isn't Load management? It's risk aversion? Just what do you think Load Managemet is anyway? The resting of healthy players so they don't get hurt. It's the same thing.