Bombers @ Stamps : Week of Aug 18 Thread

Noeller

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Why? He’s a Swiss Army knife that could play 3 positions. In a perfect scenario hes your first guy subbing in at one of those positions and if there’s any injury I’m sure he’ll be back into the lineup, plus he’s always been a good ST player. We don’t just release guys because we’re relatively healthy right now, it’s a luxury to have a guy like Darby being able to be plugged in at any hole we need back there. 

He hasn’t played well all year - I don’t really care how many positions he can not play very well. Particularly when we have better DBs in front of him that can’t get on the field. 

Edited by Geebrr

On Bonfire sports last night Danny Austin said Stamps O line is not playing well.

wonder if they will have another forest fire smoke air quality issue, as in June.

also

https://www.tsn.ca/defensive-tackle-walker-being-rewarded-for-his-patience-with-blue-bombers-1.1995944

Very good Ricky Walker interview:

“Patience and perseverance have paid off for Ricky Walker.

For two seasons, the American defensive tackle saw spot duty with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. But while the six-foot-two, 287-pound Walker never doubted he could be a CFL starter, he understood the need to bide his time.

That approach was rewarded in training camp when Walker earned a starting spot. The opportunity came after tackle Casey Sayles, Walker's roommate and friend, signed this off-season as a free agent with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

"Patience is probably the most critical word in my journey," Walker said. "Being an athlete and competitor, you want to play right away . . . but this team is deep in many positions and that's tough but also good because you're learning from those guys and they're all good people.

"So you just stay humble, talk to family, trust the process and be patient. For me, I just waited for the opportunity and it finally came and I'm excited to get out there and take advantage of it."”

maybe now Mr Fox has to be patient.

also, when bombers were down 22  nothing elks, elks complete a bomb, and were in red zone, the fumble that stopped that drive was caused by Kramdi. Recovered by j.j.

(Actually rematches the game!)

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

On Bonfire sports last night Danny Austin said Stamps O line is not playing well.

wonder if they will have another forest fire smoke air quality issue, as in June.

It’s nasty out here today, worst it’s been in a while. It would be good if the expected rain tomorrow comes.

13 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

It’s nasty out here today, worst it’s been in a while. It would be good if the expected rain tomorrow comes.

Its odd, two people in my building (who I don't even know) I struck up a conversation with- all touched upon the heat/fires and both mentioned the words "apocalyptic" and "world is on fire" in regards to the weather.

Strange day... strange indeed.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Why? He’s a Swiss Army knife that could play 3 positions. In a perfect scenario hes your first guy subbing in at one of those positions and if there’s any injury I’m sure he’ll be back into the lineup, plus he’s always been a good ST player. We don’t just release guys because we’re relatively healthy right now, it’s a luxury to have a guy like Darby being able to be plugged in at any hole we need back there. 

yup...That would be dumb...plus Kramdi has a hard time staying healthy as well....and really other than being adequate hasnt wowed....been no worse or no better than Darby...who started out great...apparently had a bad game or 2....but he can cover 3 spots, and be more than serviceable at them

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

He basically never played special teams here until the game here vs Edmonton when he got bumped down the depth chart.

Parker is also a guy that can play every spot down to SAM in the secondary.  Return kicks to some extent, don't really trust him with punts, but also a weapon as the wide contain on punt team with our funky punter.

56 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He basically never played special teams here until the game here vs Edmonton when he got bumped down the depth chart.

Parker is also a guy that can play every spot down to SAM in the secondary.  Return kicks to some extent, don't really trust him with punts, but also a weapon as the wide contain on punt team with our funky punter.

Darby has always been on ST here

This is huge for brown. It’s one thing to come off the bench with no expectation down 3 majors and beat a bad team that isn’t prepared for you. It’s a whole other to start when the other team has been prepping for you and you’ve taken all the snaps. 
 Hate dressing Zach as qb3. I’m disappointed by mos in that. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This is huge for brown. It’s one thing to come off the bench with no expectation down 3 majors and beat a bad team that isn’t prepared for you. It’s a whole other to start when the other team has been prepping for you and you’ve taken all the snaps. 

Seems to be the new trend in the CFL to dress an injured QB who absolute will not play. 

I'm not too sure what advantage film on Brown will give anyone.  He ran the Bombers offense with no limitations.  His read fakes are a bit more impactful on the rushers/backers because he's not always looking to boot right away and he might actually run himself.  Other than that pretty much the same as Collaros.  Guy can make every throw, they aren't trying to shelter him at all.  A little more sturdy in the pocket and willing to hang in there which might be his youth and not taking so many hits as Collaros has over the past decade.

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I am thinking Zac wants to be there for Brown  and Prukop.

7 hours ago, Booch said:

He played there last yr and was fine...and I know u all love Holm...and he has been good...but Parker is better all around, and was the projected starter before he got hurt....even a rotation of him and Holm would be beneficial is certain sets

McCrae really is a nice luxury, but we don't use him enough on offence to make it worth the while for sub par returning, and losing the field position battle on returns, plus Parker could offer way more benefits on kick coverage, as well as defensive depth and rotation,,,, Parker for Mcrae...Fox for Jackson would make us so much better

Parker was a projected starter at corner due to injuries. Holm was projected starter at half. We haven’t seen Parker on field in nearly a year against a real team so saying he’s better than holm who has improved immensely in the last year isn’t a possible comparison. 2023 holm is better than 2022 parker. I can remember parker having more than a bit to work on last season. 

Like JBR said, looked like Dru ran the full offence last game.  It wasn’t like Buck suddenly dialled up a bunch of hand-offs and 5 yard curls.

Will say that the screen play on Brady’s td was a thing of beauty, with textbook setup and execution.  Nice to see that the Bombers have that in the arsenal… absolutely hate watching our defence get eaten up on screens so it’s great to finally see the O dish them back out.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doesn't have to dress to fit on the plane.

Should list McCrae as the 3rd QB since you can have two of them on the field at the same time now.  Put another American on.

No but to be on the sidelines part of the team helping out a young Qb. No proof just a guess.

47 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t get what you mean by this.

42 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Seems to be the new trend in the CFL to dress an injured QB who absolute will not play. 

Yeah seems like it. Absolutely idiotic imo. It’s like we need to have an extra pr spot for a qb too. 

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doesn't have to dress to fit on the plane.

Should list McCrae as the 3rd QB since you can have two of them on the field at the same time now.  Put another American on.

Yep. Imagine that? Good mildly creative roster management? We could legit have two more useful imps dressed and even rotate. 

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don’t get what you mean by this.

Dressing a guy who can’t play and in a limited spot. One injury away from only having prukop who can’t pass. One injury and a concussion protocol away from being in a horrible spot with either an injured collaros or an out of position player at qb. 
 It only hurts us he could be off the roster and on the sideline.