Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

On 2023-07-28 at 10:47 AM, Tracker said:

In the two RedBack wins, he did make some nice passes, so it seems he has the arm and accuracy. It will probably come down to his intelligence and ability to read CFL defences.

He's an aeronautical engineer. The guy can be an astronaut or work for NASA. I don't think figuring out motion & the 12th man will be a problem for him. Staying healthy & longevity will.

22 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to practice roster:

American defensive end Tyjuan Garbutt (6-2, 261, Virginia Tech, July 14, 1999, in Fredericksburg, VA)

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/07/29/blue-bombers-transactions-july-29/?fbclid=IwAR03qQ0pWsCMXLelGz5Q4eqbGESDFGfU5639O-YVEP8Mt1Z_UoZs4vD7UAY

No idea who this guy is but we desperately need DEs… so this is a positive… if there’s any chance Hansen is ready after the bye we could suddenly have some decent DL depth 

I am skeptical about skills from other fields transferring to football.

navy seal, Engineer, computer scientist.

Eg grey is an engineer, but how is that helping him figure out who to block during a game?

engineers dont have three hundred pound guys squashing them while they calculate.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

Looked Tyjuan Garbut up and tuned into some of his hi-lites.....The guy certainly can move for a big man....always seemed to be around the ball and might just fit in here at a position we're currently lacking in....Hope we get a good look at him soon 

Yeah...he is a high energy guy..also fast twitch too so he could really pop off the page up here opposite the Jeff's...i like his size too...

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

No idea who this guy is but we desperately need DEs… so this is a positive… if there’s any chance Hansen is ready after the bye we could suddenly have some decent DL depth 

Hansen won't be back any time soon. He didn't practice when he had the opportunity after 5 weeks on the 6 game injured list. He's been put on the 6 game list again.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah...he is a high energy guy..also fast twitch too so he could really pop off the page up here opposite the Jeff's...i like his size too...

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Looked Tyjuan Garbut up and tuned into some of his hi-lites.....The guy certainly can move for a big man....always seemed to be around the ball and might just fit in here at a position we're currently lacking in....Hope we get a good look at him soon 

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

Exceptional pick up. Much better than old man lemon imo. Big de and exceptionally good pass rusher. Under rated hands, great size, exceptional quick twitch guy. You can’t teach that type of explosiveness. 

Size grade is pointless and should only be referred to in analysis as player being "undersized" compared to league average

If you can do the job ..u can do the job...many undersized guys excel

The one instance where that could/should be a grade consideration is for short armed on-line guys ..as that trait makes a huge difference..

I

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Size grade is pointless and should only be referred to in analysis as player being "undersized" compared to league average

If you can do the job ..u can do the job...many undersized guys excel

The one instance where that could/should be a grade consideration is for short armed on-line guys ..as that trait makes a huge difference..

I

100%. When I see a 6’0 linemen or wr succeed and become a prospect at the level of high upside oversized guys I expect the 6’0 guy to over achieve. 
 Des in specific should be rated more like basketball players. Used to be you had to be 6’10+ to be a pf or c in the nba. Till teams finally recognized that 4 inches of forehead doesn’t do much, where as 4” of standing reach / wing span does. 

Habba has been excellent so far and we’ve seen a bunch of 6’ and under dl excel for the bombers in the past. Lower centre of gravity and the ability to get under tall guys is a huge advantage. Two of his sacks came from him basically ducking under the arms of tall tackles. 

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Wonder if he is/was a neg list guy that we were tracking as he exhausted any NFL opportunity...seems built for the CFL game

Unless there are 2 Garbutts, this guy is a rookie who has never been to a pro camp. Plus he’s missed almost half a year of the CFL to date.  To me let’s hope we don’t have anymore Dline injuries because I don’t see how this guy can help us this year.  Great looking prospect though.

9 minutes ago, Gail said:

Unless there are 2 Garbutts, this guy is a rookie who has never been to a pro camp. Plus he’s missed almost half a year of the CFL to date.  To me let’s hope we don’t have anymore Dline injuries because I don’t see how this guy can help us this year.  Great looking prospect though.

If you were talking receiver, or even FT DE/DT you could be right. However, it is not hard to get even a raw rookie up to snuff enough to be a successful rotational DL. He can definitely help us this year.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

If you were talking receiver, or even FT DE/DT you could be right. However, it is not hard to get even a raw rookie up to snuff enough to be a successful rotational DL. He can definitely help us this year.

That’s good to know. I have concerns about the DL.  Always wondering when Jeffcoat may go down.  Fingers crossed he won’t.

8 hours ago, Gail said:

he was in an NFL camp last yr...undrafted invite...Stove was a rookie guy who literally was never in a camp...panned out well...half the guys who come up here and excel are straight outta school...with minimal pro camp experience....doesn't mean much

If he has half a brain and can grasp the concepts...has physicals skill no reason why he can't slide in on rotation if he in game shape

1 hour ago, Booch said:

he was in an NFL camp last yr...undrafted invite...Stove was a rookie guy who literally was never in a camp...panned out well...half the guys who come up here and excel are straight outta school...with minimal pro camp experience....doesn't mean much

If he has half a brain and can grasp the concepts...has physicals skill no reason why he can't slide in on rotation if he in game shape

The DL, in general, does not require the same kind of learning curve that some other positions do. It translates pretty well between American and Canadian football.