The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

https://www.tmz.com/2023/10/28/friends-star-matthew-perry-dead-dies-drowning/

this is really unprocessable 

more info via TMZ

More details are surfacing about the circumstances surrounding Matthew Perry's death ... as sources tell us he actually died at his own house after some physical activity this morning.

We're told Matthew came home sometime in the AM after a 2-hour round of pickleball, and that he sent his assistant out on errand shortly thereafter. We're told when the assistant returned about 2 hours later, he discovered Matthew unresponsive ... and called 911.

Unclear if what Matthew was doing before his passing played any role in his death at this point -- the investigation into his death is underway.

Edited by iHeart

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why? Did you know him? Was he your friend? This obsession ppl have with ppl who don't know you exist needs to stop. 

I'm assuming most people do this because it's part of their childhood growing up and what helped shaped them even in the smallest of ways into who they are today? 

Damn it's been 25 years and I still get sad thinking about Chris Farley and wish that he was still alive.  

You're allowed to develop emotional connections to something bigger than you.... and you're allowed to mourn any way you choose, when something you're emotionally attached to disappears. I was crushed when Paul Walker and Heath Ledger passed... and yeah, Farley man...... **** that is brutal. Candy, too. 

I somewhat agree with Goalie here about this thread. I have no idea why we need a thread about celebrities who died. Most, if not all who croaked would have no interest in any of us when alive. And it kind of a creepy subject anyway. I'd rather just have separate posts about people who died. If it was up to me, I'd close this thread. Just my opinion. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I somewhat agree with Goalie here about this thread. I have no idea why we need a thread about celebrities who died. Most, if not all who croaked would have no interest in any of us when alive. And it kind of a creepy subject anyway. I'd rather just have separate posts about people who died. If it was up to me, I'd close this thread. Just my opinion. 

So you'd rather dozens of different posts covering random deaths instead of having just one on going post that gets updated with the latest?   I find the thread interesting because I do not go on news sites and sometimes I find it interesting when people pass away. 

I hate to break it to you... but most Bombers don't care or have no interest in each of the members on this site so should we not bother creating threads talking about the Blue at all?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

So you'd rather dozens of different posts covering random deaths instead of having just one on going post that gets updated with the latest?   I find the thread interesting because I do not go on news sites and sometimes I find it interesting when people pass away. 

I hate to break it to you... but most Bombers don't care or have no interest in each of the members on this site so should we not bother creating threads talking about the Blue at all?

I hate to break it to you... but that's a completely ridiculous analogy & you know it. Surely you can do better than that.... Can't you? And I'm sorry for calling you Shirley. Seriously though, besides, it's just my opinion. I've never liked this thread but my opinion here doesn't carry that much weight so I'm not expecting anything will change. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can always choose not to read or comment either... 

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

This explains so much.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Another one? :D

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I somewhat agree with Goalie here about this thread. I have no idea why we need a thread about celebrities who died. 

So we can remember and converse about what they did?

The idea that because a public figure doesn't know each person that respects/enjoys their work so we shouldn't talk about them, is ridiculous.  I mean Bob Irving has no idea who most people on the board are but I guarantee that when his time comes, it will be a sad day here (and throughout the Canadian football community) and there will be tons of discussion about his life and career.  

People can impact your life without ever having met you and there's nothing wrong with that all.  As mentioned earlier, if this thread isn't your thing, maybe you should just ignore it and not comment on it?

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The idea that because a public figure doesn't know each person that respects/enjoys their work so we shouldn't talk about them, is ridiculous.  I mean Bob Irving has no idea who most people on the board are but I guarantee that when his time comes, it will be a sad day here (and throughout the Canadian football community) and there will be tons of discussion about his life and career.  

People can impact your life without ever having met you and there's nothing wrong with that all.  As mentioned earlier, if this thread isn't your thing, maybe you should just ignore it and not comment on it?

Again, just my opinion & this thread is going nowhere but does every celebrity that dies make you feel sad? I'd say only about half may affect everyone enough to comment here, if that. Besides, most people are on social media & when a celebrity dies we know about it & can comment.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Again, just my opinion & this thread is going nowhere but does every celebrity that dies make you feel sad? I'd say only about half may affect everyone enough to comment here, if that. Besides, most people are on social media & when a celebrity dies we know about it & can comment.

Don't worry, I think it will disappear in two months, anyhow. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Funny how when people say something here that goes against the flow, the clown show always come out. Oh, Hi Noeller. How are ya?  

I will say that I wish this platform allowed you to hide threads you weren't interested in. I know some other platforms that do. 

I just think that different people have different life experiences and feel connections to people that they've never met. Be it celebrity or not. Emotions are funny things and hard to predict what or who you will feel a connection with. 

it's  the most Alberta thing ever to believe that your opinion is the only correct one and everyone else should believe what you believe, and if they don't they're wrong. It's "Selective Libertarianism".... "everyone should be able to live their life on their own terms.... as long as it's exactly what I believe".......

...Also, the ability to mute certain posters is the best function on this website, and saves me every day, until someone quotes someone that I've muted. Shame. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

I will say that I wish this platform allowed you to hide threads you weren't interested in. I know some other platforms that do. 

I just think that different people have different life experiences and feel connections to people that they've never met. Be it celebrity or not. Emotions are funny things and hard to predict what or who you will feel a connection with. 

That is true. Like I said, how I feel about the RIP thread is just my opinion. I mean, the thing is here & when I feel inclined then I will comment. Would I miss it if it suddenly disappeared? No. However, like I already said, I know the thing ain't going nowhere.