2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

18 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

In fairness, JOD and his mentor Chris Jones did draft OL. They just suck at it. St. John was a first overall...lmao. That same draft, 9 picks later, we drafted a young man in the 2nd round by the name of Michael Couture. Just as a frame of reference. 

Jones biggest weak spot is that he tries to get too cute, or takes big flyers on guys. O'Day mentored directly off of him, and shows similar weaknesses only he doesn't have the knack for hitting the odd home run like Jones does.

The key is being good at it

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Sure. Not that it means much. However, Hamilton isn't chopped liver either.

Argos becoming East Champions wouldn't mean much? I would think that it might mean a great deal to any Western team that goes to the Grey Cup. When we go, we win.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/14/edmonton-elks-make-all-star-receiver-eugene-lewis-cfls-highest-paid-non-qb/

The Edmonton Elks have agreed to terms with receiver Eugene Lewis, per sources.

It’s a two-year contract through the 2024 season that makes Lewis the highest-paid non-quarterback in the CFL at $320,000 per season. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/14/edmonton-elks-make-all-star-receiver-eugene-lewis-cfls-highest-paid-non-qb/

The Edmonton Elks have agreed to terms with receiver Eugene Lewis, per sources.

It’s a two-year contract through the 2024 season that makes Lewis the highest-paid non-quarterback in the CFL at $320,000 per season. 

I'm a big Eugene Lewis fan...but no thanks at that salary.

Just now, Mr. Perfect said:

Wow.

So what level of production would be required to justify that salary? Seriously, what metrics would you attach to that portion of your receiver budget being locked on one player?

I'm saying 1500 yards, 15 touchdowns (at a minimum) or it's a failure.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Wow.

So what level of production would be required to justify that salary? Seriously, what metrics would you attach to that portion of your receiver budget being locked on one player?

So basically what our rookie WR did?

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

8-1 in my lifetime. 7 in a row. 7-0 against one particular team. You can act like it's no big deal... But I know we're the last team that anyone wants to face at the GC.

Second last maybe.

Slow your roll. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

geeez...way over pay...good and character...but u dont get value for that....dumb

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

Wow.

at minimum...dumb dumb contract

Well... from a moneyball perspective, you have a portion of you Salary Cap Budget which is set up for you receivers.

You also have a production goal for your receivers.

So as long as your Production Goal exceeds your Salary allottment, you're ok... But I really have to strain to imagine what you'd need from one player who eats up that much of it.

9 minutes ago, bluto said:

Well... from a moneyball perspective, you have a portion of you Salary Cap Budget which is set up for you receivers.

You also have a production goal for your receivers.

So as long as your Production Goal exceeds your Salary allottment, you're ok... But I really have to strain to imagine what you'd need from one player who eats up that much of it.

and Dunbar is over 200k as well correct?....half a million+ on 2 receivers?...

I know Jones managed to get some production with this similar situation in Sask with the lowly Faj at QB, but I still just can't imagine this situation working out in Edm with Corny at QB. It would be the same as us starting Prukop, and with a much worse OL. I don't get how this is supposed to work...

36 minutes ago, bluto said:

Argos becoming East Champions wouldn't mean much? I would think that it might mean a great deal to any Western team that goes to the Grey Cup. When we go, we win.

I don’t like it one bit, but you’re not wrong. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I know Jones managed to get some production with this similar situation in Sask with the lowly Faj at QB, but I still just can't imagine this situation working out in Edm with Corny at QB. It would be the same as us starting Prukop, and with a much worse OL. I don't get how this is supposed to work...

Did Jones have Fajardo there? I thought he bailed after the year with Brandon Bridge