2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

32 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Ya, ok.  A 15-3 team signs a bunch of the very people that made it a 15-3 team and that's a bad thing.  A team that beat itself in the Grey Cup is now somehow worse than a 11-7 team that fluked out a GC win.   Thanks for your opinion...

The crazy thing is suggesting they fluked out a GC win

Does that mean we fluked out the win in 2021?

They beat us and we’re a year older in a sport where older isn’t always better. That’s a legit concern. Maybe it’s unwarranted and they’ll have another amazing season, I hope that ends up being the case. But for now, it’s a concern for me.

18 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I hope so. Kyran Moore was a good speedster, but he had zero ability to track the ball in the air, which made him pretty redundant as a deep threat.

essentially...he sucked....if he couldnt make anything happen on a hitch or screen he was useless....he pawned for the camera more than did anything worth while

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Baloney why?

The only thing we've done this offseason is add someone we subtracted a year ago and then lost a whole bunch of other players (none of which I'm too torn up about) but it's not as if there's been an overall improvement to this roster. We're not better than we were when we won our last Grey Cup, but we're a whole lot older.

Bryant and Jeffcoat can barely practice, Bighill falls off a cliff in October ... we're going to have to get younger in a few spots for sure and I have no doubt that our front office can scout some difference makers, I just don't like the approach that we've taken of essentially just hoping and praying that our older guys keep it together for one more year. Somebody posted up above that they think we have a better DL than Toronto, which is laughable to me. Their entire defence as a whole is stronger than ours and it starts right up front. Willie and Jeffcoat are still impact players but if the answer to take some of the pressure off them is to trot out Jake Thomas and Ricky Walker up the middle, we're in trouble. Bighill/Darby/Kyrie doesn't strike me as a unit that can play 18 games or more.

Do I think we're a contender? Absolutely. Top two team in the CFL and it's not particularly close at this point but I don't think we're #1. And people can talk about the difference in QB talent all they want, it's valid and certainly evident but let's not forget - Collaros has been pretty bad in November each of the last two seasons. He's the MOP that has brought us to the show but he certainly hasn't been a game changer when we get there. What's he at in the last two West Finals / Grey Cups? 4 TD / 7 INT? Something like that? It hasn't been great.

Mark me down as optimistic yet slightly worried.

Yes.

Last year's team set a franchise record for wins and for as absolutely terribly they played in the Grey Cup still lined up at the end for a field goal that would have won except again for a poor play. Not like it was a ho-hum team they're running back. This was an all time type team that is coming back. And adding Lawler isn't nothing. I think you are a bit too hard on things. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

They beat us and we’re a year older in a sport where older isn’t always better. That’s a legit concern. Maybe it’s unwarranted and they’ll have another amazing season, I hope that ends up being the case. But for now, it’s a concern for me.

If we had squeaked into the playoffs, or even not been head and shoulder above everyone else the last two years, I could understand your concern. However, save one bad game we played in November we have been, by far, the most dominant team in this league for the past 2 years. That doesn't go away in a matter of a few months.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I don’t consider it a fluke. We didn’t play well that day. Quite frankly they didn’t really either. If that lunatic QB doesn’t get hurt we probably win going away but they made plays and we didn’t 

That doesn’t mean they’re a more talented team then or now. Is their DL even better? Arguably? They’re likely losing Davis and Ray. 

I can’t see any area other than possibly LB where they line up as good or better than us. I’m not a big Williams fan though. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Last year's team set a franchise record for wins and for as absolutely terribly they played in the Grey Cup still lined up at the end for a field goal that would have won except again for a poor play. Not like it was a ho-hum team they're running back. This was an all time type team that is coming back. And adding Lawler isn't nothing. I think you are a bit too hard on things. 

I share your sentiment. We have lost three games that mattered in two years. Our last loss was bad timing for sure, but to suggest that it is a bad idea to run it back with a 15-3 team seems odd to me.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes, they fluked out a win because we're the better team, played like crap and they managed to beat us by a single point.  So, yea, fluke.  Nice try with the whataboutism though.  You also realize that we will be having a training camp, right?  The roster is not finalized yet, so maybe stow the hand wringing until the end of June.

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don’t consider it a fluke. We didn’t play well that day. Quite frankly they didn’t really either. If that lunatic QB doesn’t get hurt we probably win going away but they made plays and we didn’t 

That doesn’t mean they’re a more talented team then or now. Is their DL even better? Arguably? They’re likely losing Davis and Ray. 

I can’t see any area other than possibly LB where they line up as good or better than us. I’m not a big Williams fan though. 

Why in god's green earth would we care about Toronto anyway? They are Hamilton's problem not ours and quite frankly I think Hamilton looks better than TO.

Edited by GCn20

not concerned one bit...look at history of championship teams....ladened with vets....we don't have a vet at moment who is a detriment to the team at their age...the only one who is what would appear ancient is the MOL winner Bryant....and so what if he doesnt practice much....no need and allows the back-ups to get big time reps

We were more knocked across the board last yr than most of you know..and went 15-3 and if not for a wounded QB who could barley perform and make throws...lost by 1 point

We have a solid in their prime RB...receiving core...same with O-line...age on o-line is actually a benefit especially with a technically sound and bullish unit...which we have

DB's...all in prime yrs right now....I'd like to see a DT battle, and I sure we will in TC....Not concerned with Biggie..Wilson or Darby and sure the depth there will be better than last year, as we suffered there a bit.....factor in that come camp...we are basically installing and and running with the game 1 schemes right off the bat...is huge....age in football isnt the noose around your neck like it was in the 90's..and early 2000's

A fluke...

Fine. Have it your way.

The only fluke was that the Bombers didn't get killed in their 1 point loss.

I haven't seen anyone hereabouts mention that until we finally got that first Interception that four other ones before that went through Argonaut fingers and would've sealed the day.

We were more physical. That is never a fluke.

And to my everlasting amazement, Ryan Dinwiddie embarrassed O'Shea.

That all happened and the only luck was that it wasn't a multiple score Argo win.

7-0.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

A fluke...

Fine. Have it your way.

I haven't seen anyone hereabouts mention that until we finally got that first Interception that four other ones before that went through Argonaut fingers and would've sealed the day.

That all happened and the only luck was that it wasn't a multiple score Argo win.

7-0.

Time for bed.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

A fluke...

Fine. Have it your way.

7-0.

hey...if we would;ve showed up for the game....Bombers win this one going away...T.O. was lucky we had an off day....

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Sounds a bit like the 2002 mentality though. “All-time team, just fell flat in the big game. Let’s just run it back and we’ll be fine”.  And we all painfully remember how that turned out. I think a small bit of skepticism is fair. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Sounds a bit like the 2002 mentality though. “All-time team, just fell flat in the big game. Let’s just run it back and we’ll be fine”.  And we all painfully remember how that turned out. I think a small bit of skepticism is fair. 

Did that team also come off their 3rd straight GC appearance having won back to back Cups the years prior?

yeah we lost...weren't the better team...that day....lots of if and or buts on both sides....but we come in with a healthy Collaros....we win handily...I know for a fact from inside info that he was barely able to make a throw...and be Zac -esque in the scrambling...and it showed...and we suffered.....I'll let the Argos and a handful of fans...friends and family revel in it...but fact of the matter...nobody really there cares...noticed...or gives a hoot...and as a player other than being in "a big city"...must suck....only thing that keeps the good u.s guys there is it's more of at at home climate for them...I used to live and play there....so its not just opinion...seen it first hand

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

A fluke...

Fine. Have it your way.

7-0.

This from a fan of a team that could use a mini van as a fan shuttle for their games, and still have room left over.