2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean, is this really much different than us? 

We’ve invested every ounce of cap space in aging talent and we can afford to sign exactly one free agent, it seems like. I’m not thrilled with our off-season at all, at this point. Seems like we’re banking on a lot of “please still be in your prime” from key guys. Look at Toronto - they beat us in the Grey Cup and are making massive additions. They’re a better team than us *today* on paper.

Ya, ok.  A 15-3 team signs a bunch of the very people that made it a 15-3 team and that's a bad thing.  A team that beat itself in the Grey Cup is now somehow worse than a 11-7 team that fluked out a GC win.   Thanks for your opinion...

Santos-Knox to Ottawa

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

Ya, ok.  A 15-3 team signs a bunch of the very people that made it a 15-3 team and that's a bad thing.  A team that beat itself in the Grey Cup is now somehow worse than a 11-7 team that fluked out a GC win.   Thanks for your opinion...

The Argos still haven't signed their starting quarterback, so there's that too.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

I am trying to remember the last time I wondered how much money a defensive lineman made as he was making my QB scramble for his life all night but I just can't seem to recall that ever happening.

A refrigerator on wheels would make your QB scramble for his life all night 

On 2023-02-02 at 6:05 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Read this article today from the Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette who is the beat writer for the Als. Read what he has to say about Ambrosie. It's not very complimentary. He places the blame directly on him just like I do. If someone doesn't step up & buy the team then there won't be a team in Montreal as this time it'll fold.

Yeah, Ambrosie does have a say & his advice influences the BOG's. He's the point man for the league. He finds potential owners or the potential owners find him. He makes recommendations to the Governors as to who he thinks would be the best ownership for any team on sale. He's supposed to vet the interested parties. Ambrosie says to them when he's ready to do so that, "This is the one".  So yes, this fiasco is on him. Bringing in a 90 year old owner & rejecting Eric Deslauriers group in 2020 with French Canadian backers ready to take over was a huge mistake. Ambrosie rebuffed them twice & now it looks like they don't care anymore. 

Zurkowsky has reported on the Alouettes for many years & was inducted into the Broadcasters & Reporters section of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2008. He's also the guy who broke the Kavis Reed salary cap kickback story in 2018. His credibility is impeccable. 

CFL commissioner is silent as Alouettes twist in the wind | Montreal Gazette

For people dumping on the CFL for not going with the local Eric LaPointe group instead of Stern and Spiegel in 2020, here’s some info from another source with impeccable credibility. Food for thought. 

9 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Bane is an interesting signing by the Riders. I think he could develop into a nice starting wr.

If the coaches can help him get rid of his alligator arm receiving he definitely has the rest of the tools. Maybe he has eye problems like Bowman did and that's why he drops every 2nd ball that comes his way?

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

For people dumping on the CFL for not going with the local Eric LaPointe group instead of Stern and Spiegel in 2020, here’s some info from another source with impeccable credibility. Food for thought. 

Ambrosie isn't blameless, but it is not his fault that DesLauriers wanted to buy the team on lay-away, or that solid ownership didn't come forward.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I mean, is this really much different than us? 

We’ve invested every ounce of cap space in aging talent and we can afford to sign exactly one free agent, it seems like. I’m not thrilled with our off-season at all, at this point. Seems like we’re banking on a lot of “please still be in your prime” from key guys. Look at Toronto - they beat us in the Grey Cup and are making massive additions. They’re a better team than us *today* on paper.

Not worried about any of this, as long as they re-up Walters at the end of the year.