Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

55 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The league needs better marketing. Winnipeg has done very well. BC with their new owner seems to get it and they appear to be trying new things to build attendance. Edmonton too. I was watching a doc on the Vancouver Grizzlies and they talk to one of the original Raptors owners. He mentions they purposely didn't try to be the Leafs and sought out newcomers, kids and women and marketed to them. CFL needs to have that mentality.

Hamilton, under the Caretaker, also does a decent job, I think. Ottawa has been doing a good job since day 1. Sounds like the new guy in Montreal is going to be doing a lot. So it's Calgary and Toronto that really do next to nothing. SF27 is off his nut in a lot of posts lately, but he's right that the Stamps ownership group is just AWFUL at marketing the team, the population of Calgary doesn't give a **** about the Stamps, the stadium is garbage and is a bit of a pain to get to (tho at least there's the c-train). There's a lot of changes that need to be made to the Stamps to make them relevant again. 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Hamilton, under the Caretaker, also does a decent job, I think. Ottawa has been doing a good job since day 1. Sounds like the new guy in Montreal is going to be doing a lot. So it's Calgary and Toronto that really do next to nothing. SF27 is off his nut in a lot of posts lately, but he's right that the Stamps ownership group is just AWFUL at marketing the team, the population of Calgary doesn't give a **** about the Stamps, the stadium is garbage and is a bit of a pain to get to (tho at least there's the c-train). There's a lot of changes that need to be made to the Stamps to make them relevant again. 

I'd hate to imagine how bad it would be in Calgary if they didn't have a perennial contender on the field. As a fan, I could put up with a sh***y stadium/ownership as long as we were winning... take that away and what incentive is there to keep going & supporting the team?

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

The league needs better marketing. Winnipeg has done very well. BC with their new owner seems to get it and they appear to be trying new things to build attendance. Edmonton too. I was watching a doc on the Vancouver Grizzlies and they talk to one of the original Raptors owners. He mentions they purposely didn't try to be the Leafs and sought out newcomers, kids and women and marketed to them. CFL needs to have that mentality.

Montreal's guy is laying the ground work already too.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I'd hate to imagine how bad it would be in Calgary if they didn't have a perennial contender on the field. As a fan, I could put up with a sh***y stadium/ownership as long as we were winning... take that away and what incentive is there to keep going & supporting the team?

They do it with the Lames

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

"well, the Flames are the NHL....a major pro sport! ....the CFL is barely a step above CIS...it's not even as good as NCAA!  ....Most NCAA teams would beat the best CFL teams....CFL doesn't matter!"  - things Calgarians regularly say

18 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

There's no accounting for taste!  

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

"well, the Flames are the NHL....a major pro sport! ....the CFL is barely a step above CIS...it's not even as good as NCAA!  ....Most NCAA teams would beat the best CFL teams....CFL doesn't matter!"  - things Calgarians regularly say

Yeah if the CFL got the kind of support the NHL gets (from everyone... fans, various levels of government, media) we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

11 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Then your claim is invalid.

My claim is invalid??? Lol. What games have YOU watched the past 20 or more years??? I guess the politicians are right. If you say it enough people will believe even if it's a lie.

Attendance is UP.  The CFL is flourishing. C'mon sing it again.... Attendance is UP. The CFL is flourishing. One more time... Attendance is UP. The CFL is flourishing. Lord have merrrrrcy... Attendance is UP. The CFL is flourisung. 

6 hours ago, bigg jay said:

There's no accounting for taste!  

Yeah if the CFL got the kind of support the NHL gets (from everyone... fans, various levels of government, media) we wouldn't be having this conversation.  

Not just Calgary. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not just Calgary. Talk to any NFL fans in Southern Ontario or BC.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

New ownership. I'm thinking 15,000 will be a good crowd at McMahon this season. 

12 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Then your claim is invalid.

what if he had phrased it differently, for instance

Figures? , to god-damned hell with figures! We have no figures!. In fact, we don't need figures! I don't have to show you any stinking figures you god-damned cabrón 

😀

Gold_Hat_portrayed_by_Alfonso_Bedoya.jpg

Edited by Mark F

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

The owner  Murray Edwards lives full time in London, England. Refuses to pay Canadian income taxes. I'm pretty certain that he'll renounce his Canadian citizenship for British. He has no interest in the Stampeders or the stadium they play in. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The owner  Murray Edwards lives full time in London, England. Refuses to pay Canadian income taxes. I'm pretty certain that he'll renounce his Canadian citizenship for British. He has no interest in the Stampeders or the stadium they play in. 

Come again? He's living in London, England - to avoid taxes? 

I'm liking these articles that our new scout has been putting out recently.  He's no Ed Tait (no slight there, most aren't) but it's nice bit of insight into some of these guys before they get up here for camp & what goes into finally getting them to sign after years of being on the teams radar.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/29/tales-from-the-scouting-trail-jordan-brown/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

some really interesting stuff in here about how the XFL/USFL are taking a bite out of potential players.....

And even more interesting stuff about O'Shea personally scouting the latest kicker signing out of Zauner's camp in the US.

The last guy we signed out of there was Castillo the first time around.

7 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I'm liking these articles that our new scout has been putting out recently.  He's no Ed Tait (no slight there, most aren't) but it's nice bit of insight into some of these guys before they get up here for camp & what goes into finally getting them to sign after years of being on the teams radar.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/29/tales-from-the-scouting-trail-jordan-brown/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cyril Penn has sports reporting experience.

https://www.bluebombers.com/cyril-penn/

39 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

What a tremendous mix of skill sets. Kinda sad that the bombers internal media is drastically better than the national and 3dn stuff. But it sure is a treat. Id love to see Danny mac to a write up on a guy or a couple guys too. 

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

some really interesting stuff in here about how the XFL/USFL are taking a bite out of potential players.....

This is the last thing I worry about. The talent bed for football is insanely deep.  Greater demand will help grow supply as well. 
 Many times what qbs especially need is reps these days. Gone are the days of 4 and 5 year starters on one team. It’s all transfers to or from big schools where they back up and only a year to two years of production. 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Thanks for that.

As I said not a slight against him, just that Tait is a GOAT when it comes to sports writing (imo).  In hindsight, I probably should have left that part out of my post since Tait has nothing to do with Penn's articles.

20 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Thanks for that.

As I said not a slight against him, just that Tait is a GOAT when it comes to sports writing (imo).  In hindsight, I probably should have left that part out of my post since Tait has nothing to do with Penn's articles.

Yeah, and I just mentioned it as its nice to see the Bombers are leveraging his talent.