Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Guy only missed 3 kicks over 40 in his whole NCAA career, 90%.  Clearly has a leg, see if he has the accuracy and timing at the next level. 

Who? This guy had 3 seasons with 4 or more misses alone. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4048151/chandler-staton. If he had that level of accuracy he would be in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Engelwood said:

Who? This guy had 3 seasons with 4 or more misses alone. https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4048151/chandler-staton. If he had that level of accuracy he would be in the NFL. 

It was 4 kicks over 40. Weird stats. His best percentage is in the 40-49 range.

He has tons of misses on short kicks. But another young kid. we'll see if he's been continuing to work and improve.

18 hours ago, Jesse said:

It was 4 kicks over 40. Weird stats. His best percentage is in the 40-49 range.

He has tons of misses on short kicks. But another young kid. we'll see if he's been continuing to work and improve.

I feel like you’d see a similar trend with a lot of young kickers. 30-39 requires more control on a us field. If you over power the ball you are more likely to shank it. At 40-49 you aren’t taking any thing off the kick.

Can’t say that’s what it is for certain just my gut instinct. 

not going crazy about the guy but last time we tried to go with a massive leg and raw leg talent in mourtada. Going with a more polished accurate guy makes sense. Plus you never know all 3 could be in camp. They love mourtada. 

at this point we have an awful lot of boxes ticked for camp. I think we bring in atleast 1 more qb, maybe an imp rb, couple more ol bodies, maybe one more dl and de a couple lbers and that’s it.  At this point the best piece we could hope for is kongbo. 

Edited by wbbfan

I all for Leggz having competition..but if they are all similar...or even if one the guys is a shave better at FG's...then our best route is still having Leggz take up the role doing all 3 jobs...freeing up that all important DI spot.

He will get better...won't get worse...and we still got to a grey cup with him...with a banged up roster all yr...if he is still showing some signs of inconsistent play mid season...then you try a change...but he has shown he can be a top punter...can hit 50 yard field goals and has a leg to pin teams deep on kickoffs...last part of season we were doing some weird things on kickoffs and to me looked like they were trying to have him put it down shorter...now was that a coverage deficiency they were trying to amend? Dunno but he can put it between the 15 and goaline...so leg strength isn't an issue 

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like you’d see a similar trend with a lot of young kickers. 30-39 requires more control on a us field. If you over power the ball you are more likely to shank it. At 40-49 you aren’t taking any thing off the kick.

Can’t say that’s what it is for certain just my gut instinct. 

not going crazy about the guy but last time we tried to go with a massive leg and raw leg talent in mourtada. Going with a more polished accurate guy makes sense. Plus you never know all 3 could be in camp. They love mourtada. 

at this point we have an awful lot of boxes ticked for camp. I think we bring in atleast 1 more qb, maybe an imp rb, couple more ol bodies, maybe one more dl and de a couple lbers and that’s it.  At this point the best piece we could hope for is kongbo. 

I never sensed they loved Mourtada. He had a strong leg & that was about it. Kept around as insurance only. He was pretty much MOTR as a kicker. Liegghio is an excellent punter. that's where I eventually see him as a CFL player long term. Unless Liegghio can get a lot tougher mentally & just put the misses behind him. Which seems to be the root of his problem. It's not the physical aspect of his game. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, Booch said:

I all for Leggz having competition..but if they are all similar...or even if one the guys is a shave better at FG's...then our best route is still having Leggz take up the role doing all 3 jobs...freeing up that all important DI spot.

He will get better...won't get worse...and we still got to a grey cup with him...with a banged up roster all yr...if he is still showing some signs of inconsistent play mid season...then you try a change...but he has shown he can be a top punter...can hit 50 yard field goals and has a leg to pin teams deep on kickoffs...last part of season we were doing some weird things on kickoffs and to me looked like they were trying to have him put it down shorter...now was that a coverage deficiency they were trying to amend? Dunno but he can put it between the 15 and goaline...so leg strength isn't an issue 

Agreed that Liegghio has not yet reached his (potential) ceiling but the Bombers cannot wait another couple of years to see if that comes to pass. Yes, he's a Canuck, and that is nice but he deserves the same consideration as any other player- he needs to prove he belongs in the position and if competition shows that he cannot be the best, then, that is the way we go.

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

People seem to conveniently forget that CTV and CBC did not want to keep the CFL, unless it was the Grey Cup game. TSN was the only real option. 

I find it hard to believe that any Canadian network with ratings of 250-500,000 cable viewers & the advertising revenues it brings in for 20 some weeks would not want the CFL on their network.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I find it hard to believe that any Canadian network with ratings of 250-500,000 cable viewers & the advertising revenues it brings in for 20 some weeks would not want the CFL on their network.

TSN spent some money on production. Started Friday night football and broadcasting all the games. CBC did next to nothing. 

24 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

TSN spent some money on production. Started Friday night football and broadcasting all the games. CBC did next to nothing. 

I think people forget that not too long ago we couldn't watch all the games.

I'm only 36 and I remember having to listen to Bob call half the games each year while I was in my 20's. Black outs, limited coverage. It's so much better than it was.

20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think people forget that not too long ago we couldn't watch all the games.

I'm only 36 and I remember having to listen to Bob call half the games each year while I was in my 20's. Black outs, limited coverage. It's so much better than it was.

The interesting thing here is that the resistance to televising all the games was the fear/certainty that attendance would drop. Hasn't turned out that way at all.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

The interesting thing here is that the resistance to televising all the games was the fear/certainty that attendance would drop. Hasn't turned out that way at all.

Well, attendance has absolutely dropped across all sporting events.

Undoubtably has a lot to do with the upgraded quality of TV production value since the early days of watching sports.

23 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Well, attendance has absolutely dropped across all sporting events.

Undoubtably has a lot to do with the upgraded quality of TV production value since the early days of watching sports.

The multiplicity of sports likely has much to do with that overall, but well-run, competitive teams will always do well, whereas poorly-run, uncompetitive teams will often struggle in attendance. The Bombers and Argos are two examples that readily come to mind.

On 2023-03-24 at 11:24 PM, bigg jay said:

Bombers signed this guy according to the CFL transactions page.

I find it odd that Bauming is just assuming the Bombers are straight up looking for a replacement... competition, yes... but he needs to win the competition in order to be the "new placekicker" 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I find it odd that Bauming is just assuming the Bombers are straight up looking for a replacement... competition, yes... but he needs to win the competition in order to be the "new placekicker" 

Might just have been poor wording, potential new placekicker would have been more accurate.  But yeah, way too early for that kind of assumption...  I'm also expecting that this isn't the only kicker they'll bring in so who knows how things will turn out.  I mean Justin Palardy keeps tweeting about his kicking (some wearing his old Bomber gear) so he could be our next placekicker! 😂

Edited by bigg jay

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Attendance has dropped dramatically since all games are televised. 

Do you have figures to back up this claim? The data on CFLdb doesn't show any correlation between games being televised since 1987 and attendance dropping, dramatically or otherwise.

https://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/attendance/